Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

the most logic way of getting on the road for learners

Options
  • 30-10-2007 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

in light of new rules, what logical steps should be taken for a person who has never owned a car and would like to get going in the safest quickest way possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

professional driving lessons in an instructors car

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Intox

suggesting build up enough experience to go straight for a full license and not bother with provo?

i think ill automatic it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

1. Do away with provisional altogether.
    2. Minimum 8-10 lessons with driving school instructor. You can practice at home with a full >5 years licence holder in the car.
    3. Must pass written test before being allowed to take driving test.
    4. Driving school instructors should be able to pass you, but they in turn are monitored strictly by a governing agency. If a school passes you too easy they loose their licence.
    5. Taking the final test with another instructor from another driving school.

6. Your full licence can be revoked by Gardai for ANY traffic offence during the first 2 years. Then you have to go through the whole process again...

biko wrote: »
    2. Minimum 8-10 lessons with driving school instructor. You can practice at home with a full >5 years licence holder in the car.
    4. Driving school instructors should be able to pass you, but they in turn are monitored strictly by a governing agency. If a school passes you too easy they loose their licence.

6. Your full licence can be revoked by Gardai for ANY traffic offence during the first 2 years. Then you have to go through the whole process again...

cheers biko great help, although im a little confused by points 4 and 5, are you sayin there is 2 tests of the same nature you have to take in order to gain a full license?

also any information on who runs the written test would be great (where to apply)

cheers

Let's say you are learning to drive at School EasyDrive.
    When your instructor are confident that you will pass a written standardised test they give it you. The written test is taken online, against a database and you get the results immediately.

If you pass that they arrange for an instructor from another school (totally unaffiliated from EasyDrive) to come over and test you.

The governing agency might want to randomise what school test another so you get a new school every time (or something to that effect).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Point 4 and 5, wont work, if a person fails and feels hard done by will only scream, they wanted more money off me so they failed me

legend, thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Let's say you are learning to drive at School EasyDrive.
    When your instructor are confident that you will pass a written standardised test they give it you. The written test is taken online, against a database and you get the results immediately.

If you pass that they arrange for an instructor from another school (totally unaffiliated from EasyDrive) to come over and test you.

The governing agency might want to randomise what school test another so you get a new school every time (or something to that effect).

Biko, is this something you are suggesting would be a good idea or does it exist at the moment, hadnt come across it here.

OP, I'd suggest about 20 one-hour lessons with a good instructor over a 4 to 6 week period should get you to pass standard without ever owning a car or any other driving experience. Thats what I did and I dont consider myself a quick learner. I bought a car after passing my test. Then drove 70 miles a day for a year. That's where you really learn what driving is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Intox wrote: »
    cheers biko great help, although im a little confused by points 4 and 5, are you sayin there is 2 tests of the same nature you have to take in order to gain a full license?

also any information on who runs the written test would be great (where to apply)

cheers

biko's post is a hypothetical answer which regarding suggested improvements to the testing and licencing system. It is not indicative of how the system currently works. There is no written test (the Driver Theory Test is a computerised multiple choice test), and there is only one driving test.

As the original question appears to me to relate to the best way to learn to drive and pass the test under the current system, I'd say Helix's suggestion is spot on. Although your second post seems to suggest that you're not quite happy with his reply, so here's the steps. You'll definitly need ot do 4a., and would be well advised to do 4b. too.

1. Apply and study for Driver Theory Test
    2. Pass Driver Theory Test
    3. Apply for Learner Permit
    4a. Get professional driving lessons in an instructors car
    4b. Get practice in a car with a suitable fully licenced (>2 years) person (you'll need to be insured as a named driver on this car)
    5. Apply for driving test
    6. Pass driving test
    7. Exchange Cert. of Competency for full Licence.

Driver Theory Test can be applied for here: http://www.dtts.ie/

Learner permit needs to be got from your Local Council's Motor Tax office. Forms will be available there and in any Garda Station.

Driving Test Can be applied for here: http://www.drivingtest.ie/

When you pass your test, you receive a Certificate of Competency, which you must bring to your local Motor Tax Office to exchange for a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Phutyle, following the recent changes, your clear instructions should be stickied. Mods?

Bikos reply was a little unclear using words can, are, I couldnt tell if it was a real alternative or what he thinks should be an alternative. Sounds like from another country.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, I interpreted the OP as "how a better system would work", not under current system rules.

Advertisement