Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any ideas?

• 30-10-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

I'm not great with technology, especially when it comes to the technical aspect, so was just wondering if anyone here could help me out.

I downloaded an old dos game earlier on and I can't get it to work. I downloaded
    it, extracted all the files and all that, but when I went to run the application a window came up saying "this system does not support fullscreen mode". Any ideas on how to make the program run?

Sorry if this should have been posted in the games forum but I figured this forum would be a better bet to get some help, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'll just pop this over to the windows forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

First of all if its an Old DOS game you downloaded then what you have done is illegal (AFIAK) but if it isn't then maybe this should help you out...........
    http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Perhaps because you should be running in through DOS?

i.e. if you extracted the files to C:\Game\run.exe

Lets say run.exe is the game executable file... goto start, run, type "cmd"...

type:
    cd\
    cd game
    run.exe (or whatever the exe for the particular game is)

In some cases DOS (well its not really DOS in Windows XP), is configured to run in full screen mode. You can change this in the properties of the DOS window.

Brian
    orestes wrote: »
    I'm not great with technology, especially when it comes to the technical aspect, so was just wondering if anyone here could help me out.

I downloaded an old dos game earlier on and I can't get it to work. I downloaded
    it, extracted all the files and all that, but when I went to run the application a window came up saying "this system does not support fullscreen mode". Any ideas on how to make the program run?

Sorry if this should have been posted in the games forum but I figured this forum would be a better bet to get some help, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sh1t, I didn't realise it might be illegal!

The game is called Discworld, it's based on the Pratchett novels.

Irishpartyboy, cheers for the advice. I'm running on Vista though, not XP, does that make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

It shouldn't make a difference AFAIK. I've used Vista, should be the same steps. I wouldn't worry about the legality issue, it's really a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Cool. There is no run option on the list when I hit start though, so I don't know how to run it through dos or its vista equivelant

In some cases DOS (well its not really DOS in Windows XP), is configured to run in full screen mode. You can change this in the properties of the DOS window.

Brian

So how do I do this? Sorry, but like I said earlier, the technical stuff leaves me pretty baffled

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It shouldn't make a difference AFAIK. I've used Vista, should be the same steps. I wouldn't worry about the legality issue, it's really a non-issue.
    I would.
    Please read the charter especially the bit about software you own when you get back after the 10 day ban.

For the record

Adandon ware is not free ware.

Diskworld is not freeware.

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld
    As of 31th October 2007, we are still awaiting delivery of the source code. Additional attempts to locate a second copy of the code have not been successful, and we are now waiting on final word on whether the code we have located will ever be released. If not, a more serious attempt at reverse engineering will be made, although the time this process takes cannot be estimated.
    Music Enhancement
    Summary
    In short, we have all the approval needed to move forward with supporting the game and making Discworld freeware. However Discworld is NOT freeware at the moment. It may be in the future, assuming all goes according to plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement