Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone - advice needed

Options
  • 30-10-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I need some help in sourcing a microphone in Dublin. I want to record interviews with elderly people using a minidisc recorder. I need the sound quality to be as good as possible because I want to compile a radio program. I have bought a couple of cheap stereo microphones which plug directly into the minidisc recorder but they pick up all ambient sound as well as the sound I am interested in. I need a unidirectional mic which does not transmit the sound of my hand on the body of the mic.

Can you suggest what I should look for and a possible source please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The best thing to get would be a shotgun mic. These are the large furry mics you see TV interview crews using. Something like this would do the trick: http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tbone_em_9600.htm. This is a cheap mic but the t-bone range are generally good for the price, and Thomann ship to Ireland. Not sure where to pick one up in Dublin tbh.

Shotgun mics have a hypercardioid pickup pattern (meaning they are unidirectional). A dynamic mic (like the one above) would be best, assuming your MD recorder does not supply phantom power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Some (mostly the small diaphragm) condensers will work off battery. Noise transmitted from the hand will still be a problem though dynamic stage mics are more forgiving here, but are far from immune from the problem. A little technique here goes a long way - and remove any rings you are wearing!

A windscreen (make sure it will fit your mic) e.g. http://www.thomann.de/ie/rode_deadcat.htm
    will help reduce noise in open air situations. You can also clean up some problems with software after, but obviously it's quicker and easier to get it right at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I think a shot gun mic can be very off putting if your interviewing people closely? Its rather large to be doing one to one interview?? Don't you think?

Think it be funny interviewing eldery people with a large 12" fluffy thing pointing at them???

Most of the shotgun mics will let you put batterys in them to power them.

Try

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=TOZgS6SfaObm0000000000000000c8ewipFg?CatalogVideo=&ProductUUID=Y8rVqHzliZcAAAESoWp_Z_HN&CatalogCategoryID=8wXVqHzl_l4AAAEV4xtWf70R&JumpTo=OfferList

With simple wind shield over it. Or somthing less imposing.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Try sounds around in capel street. They have a pretty good selection of mics. They would probably give you some advice as well. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Although shotguns and condensers are preferred, you always see SM58's and Beta 58's on TV interviews and news or whatever.
    Just get the wind cover and you're good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks for all the advice. Next time I'm in town I will visit the shop in Capel Street and see what they say.

Advertisement