Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the trials and tribulations of traveling as a nonEU national

• 30-10-2007 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Here's teh deal: Traveling to and fro the state, as a NON-EU national that has overstayed their holiday visa.

Lets say you know of someone, or that I know of someone in particular, who is a non-eu national and is sorta living here. But not "officially" as they only were ever on a holiday visa (3 months) and they just didn't go back home.
    They've got their reasons of course.
    But anyway the pressure is on em, to go over to europe proper which would entail flying to another EU state, then returning to good ol' Ireland.
    Now, being the case that they are not traveling on a EU passport i could foresee a lot of hassle even attempting this.
    Although i'm thinking the destination county may not particularly care and allow them in, but what about when they try returning here?
    I could see problems with that alright.
    I suppose they could instead, skirt around the place a bit, like flying into Belfast and just bus it over the ol boarder.
    Now i know fellas will start flaming but just you remember this: there've been 1000's of irish lads and ladies living in USA well past what they're visa entitled them to, and today are even trying to get the laws over there relaxed so they can just stay on. In fact i think there may even members of the irish government making representations to their american counterparts over it. So just because some non EU national is pulling the same over here is not the end of the world.

Just wondering if anybody knows people in similar boat?
    What have they done, just not traveled anywhere ever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I suppose it's a bit of a bind but you get what you ask for. I remember a story a few years ago about a group of GAA players arrested and threatened with jail and eventually being deported from the US for overstaying the visa.

While there may be some people from Ireland overstaying their visa in the US, the vast vast VAST majority do not, so please don't use that tired excuse to justify any breaching of Ireland's immigration controls; I expect people here to obey my nations laws as much as I obey theirs when I'm in their country. I would feel that this is the position of many if not most Irish people. Every country will have people that overstay holiday visas. There are probably as many English, CHinese or African people overstaying visas, it's not an excuse.

With the forthcoming tightening of UK, Ireland and Schengen border control, I can imagine that your friend's situation will only deteriorate in the coming years.

Claim asylum?

Leave without arising suspicion and then re-enter legitimately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 johnnycomlately

i didn't say the vast majority of irish in the US are illegals.
    I said thousands.
    25,000 according to some reports.
    that's not a small number.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/02/07/story243554.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it is really when you consider the Us has a population of 300 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Here's teh deal: Traveling to and fro the state, as a NON-EU national that has overstayed their holiday visa.

Lady friend? I guess it all depends on where he/she is from. There is very lax immigration in Ireland, my wife is foreign and before me married she was never checked leaving the country so from what I see there no accounting how long she stayed. I reckon a chinese citizen would find it harder to re-enter than say a Australian or American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Although i'm thinking the destination county may not particularly care and allow them in, but what about when they try returning here?
    As far as I know you need to return to your country of origin to renew a visa. You don't just go outside Ireland and have it magically "renewed". The Irish consulate or embassy in this woman's home country usually deals with these things.
    Now i know fellas will start flaming but just you remember this: there've been 1000's of irish lads and ladies living in USA well past what they're visa entitled them to, and today are even trying to get the laws over there relaxed so they can just stay on.
    Well when Ireland becomes a continent with more resources than it knows what to do with, solely founded on immigration, your analogy might hold a drop of water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 johnnycomlately

The reason it's a valid comparrison is because the person i'm talking about is American, born and bred.
    So it's quid pro quo as far as im concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heh, I flew into Knock when I first came here, and as such I didnt go through the correct immigration that all the other airports have. Caused me no end of trouble when I came back into a real airport.
    "Where is your stamp?"
    "What stamp?"
    *cue much arguing about how I never got a stamp because Knock is a ****hole*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The reason it's a valid comparrison is because the person i'm talking about is American, born and bred.
    So it's quid pro quo as far as im concerned.
    Right so we'll send 10% of our population over there, and they return the favour with 10% of theirs? Its not quid pro quo, because one way its normal run of the mill movement of people, the other way its wiping out a culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

they could just go home and get a visa? or is there some reason they'd be denied one? In that case why the hell should we not send them swimming home, esp considering how strict America is on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

Lets say you know of someone, or that I know of someone in particular, who is a non-eu national and is sorta living here. But not "officially" as they only were ever on a holiday visa (3 months) and they just didn't go back home.
    They've got their reasons of course.
    But anyway the pressure is on em, to go over to europe proper which would entail flying to another EU state, then returning to good ol' Ireland.
    Now, being the case that they are not traveling on a EU passport i could foresee a lot of hassle even attempting this.
    I could see problems with that alright.
    I suppose they could instead, skirt around the place a bit, like flying into Belfast and just bus it over the ol boarder.
    Now i know fellas will start flaming but just you remember this: there've been 1000's of irish lads and ladies living in USA well past what they're visa entitled them to, and today are even trying to get the laws over there relaxed so they can just stay on. In fact i think there may even members of the irish government making representations to their american counterparts over it. So just because some non EU national is pulling the same over here is not the end of the world.

Just wondering if anybody knows people in similar boat?
    What have they done, just not traveled anywhere ever?

Where are you from, do you mind me asking?
    If you are from NZ, for example, you can just go to England and come back 2 days later as far as I know - because you don't need an entry visa for Ireland. Can you get a company to sponsor you? If you are from a country that requires an entry visa for Ireland you need to go to your home country to get one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement