Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Review

Options
  • 30-10-2007 9:27pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback on my business site, Alpha IT Solutions - http://www.aitsolutions.ie. Based in Waterford, and aiming IT services here but web services pretty much anywhere.

I personally like the design a lot.. but I feel its a bit static in the sense there isnt really anywhere to add any news. The drop down menu for the portfolio is simple but im not sure if it should be given a nifty drop down box.

We plan on making more use of our forums http://www.aitsolutions.ie/forums/ for news and stuff but that place is a dead duck. Iv always found discussion boards pretty hard to promote - espically since its not a disucssion but business related.

The Client Center, I could give people access to if they want to see it. Its very basic though, as I aint had time to complete the design side of things.

Id like your opinions on what you think. Im prepared to make changes to it if I feel some are needed.

Iv another site I run (one based on my town) that id love peoples feedback on, but ill leave that until we discussed this.

Thanks lads for taking a look, its appreciated. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I just had a quick look and it looks good to my untrained eye.One thing I did spot is you are trying to give off the image of a professional company offering a service's the photo of the co owner with a bag over his head does not go with this image.

Its just a small thing but could be worth changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Your portfolio scroller doenst work properly at all in ie7 at 1920*1200

The layout breaks down completely

Just one quick thing, when I saw this:

Logo.jpg

I immediately thought "How do you pronounce Alphait?" Perhaps throw a space in between ALPHA and IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Myth wrote: »
    I immediately thought "How do you pronounce Alphait?" Perhaps throw a space in between ALPHA and IT?

I agree, I saw Alf-ate when i read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

my two cents ...

All changes I think should take place but you're free to disagree with them

Think the ALPHAIT should be aligned on the left
    think likewise the menus should be aligned on the left

Text seems to be a bit all over the place in the fonts that are used in places ?
    The portfolio / featured work doesn't really stand out

The light blue on the welcome / featured work ... isn't really working for me and the reflection is too strong / ending too quickly

The username / Password / Login isn't appearing nicely aligned

Your menu on clicking portfolio gives options which kinda appear almost over the featured work and doesn't look as nicely thought out as your main menu ( Perhaps a slight shading / color change on the current section you are viewing might help)

The contact Kevin / Niall should potentially be changed I don't really know how official kevin and niall are ... probably ok for your small time customers but the actual website is coming across as quite professional (the colours / feel) so it'd be better to give a more professional edge to it as well

The contact form could do with some work ... (Confirm Email: <-- no space after email whereas there is on the others) ... the Kevin / Niall phone numbers also aren't aligned nicely

The staff pictures ... hmm a hoody isn't exactly the type of image you want to give off I think ( at least thats what it looks like kevin is wearing) you appear quite young and while there is nothing wrong with this a lot of the time people like to deal with someone with a few more years under their belt. Maybe think of having some Black and White photos taken and throwing on a shirt / sports Jacket ... you'll be surprised how professional it'll suddently look - My example I came across of this I can't find right now but http://www.redflymarketing.com/about-us/ looks quite cool and definitely gives a more professional edge to it
    As was already said lose the Smiley face picture

A bit of extra padding on some of the pages mightn't go a miss either

I'm not loving the fact that I didn't know that your services page had links for each of the bullets ... the popup is appearing wiht the copyright over it as well .. (may just be how I have it set) try changing your z-index on the div

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your portfolio scroller doenst work properly at all in ie7 at 1920*1200

The layout breaks down completely

Thanks, ill try get that issue addressed. I dont know of anybody with that high of a resolution so I might call you to test it out, if thats okay.
    Myth wrote: »
    Just one quick thing, when I saw this:

Logo.jpg

Probably should have fixed this long ago, its not the first time someone said it. Thanks. :)
    forbairt wrote: »
    my two cents ...

All changes I think should take place but you're free to disagree with them

Think the ALPHAIT should be aligned on the left
    think likewise the menus should be aligned on the left

Ill probably keep the logo where it is, but will see about moving the navigation bar. Never tried it in that direction before :)
    Text seems to be a bit all over the place in the fonts that are used in places ?
    The portfolio / featured work doesn't really stand out

Ill take a closer look, I didnt see it stand out about the font. Ill get that fixed asap. Thanks.

In what way does the portfolio / featured work not stand out? I thought it worked pretty well!
    The light blue on the welcome / featured work ... isn't really working for me and the reflection is too strong / ending too quickly

Havent noticed to be honest, but ill take it into consideration. :)
    The username / Password / Login isn't appearing nicely aligned

Whats your browser/resolution - I cant spot it.. Then again, I dont have the best of eyesight!
    Your menu on clicking portfolio gives options which kinda appear almost over the featured work and doesn't look as nicely thought out as your main menu ( Perhaps a slight shading / color change on the current section you are viewing might help)

Im not happy with that at all. Id love to get more feedback on improving that before I change anything, as its the one thing I came looking for feedback on! Its a problem iv had since day one, and id love other suggestions. I liked the way the same drop down was done on the forums - maybe we should try that?
    The contact Kevin / Niall should potentially be changed I don't really know how official kevin and niall are ... probably ok for your small time customers but the actual website is coming across as quite professional (the colours / feel) so it'd be better to give a more professional edge to it as well

Im Kevin and Nialls my partner. We both run the business - Niall mainly does the IT as he has no experience in the web field. We have our titles on the staff page.. Not sure what your reffering to?
    The contact form could do with some work ... (Confirm Email: <-- no space after email whereas there is on the others) ... the Kevin / Niall phone numbers also aren't aligned nicely

Ah, well spotted! Ill have that fixed straight away! Nicely done!
    The staff pictures ... hmm a hoody isn't exactly the type of image you want to give off I think ( at least thats what it looks like kevin is wearing) you appear quite young and while there is nothing wrong with this a lot of the time people like to deal with someone with a few more years under their belt.

Your dead right - its a hoody and it doesnt look professional. I usualy wear a something more professional when meeting clients, so ill take a shot of this.

Yes im young, 21 in January - but iv being doing this kind of stuff for several years, so decided to turn it into a business. Mainly run part time, as im doing an IT Degree at the same time. Niall is in his later twentys, and has several years experience in this area along with his brother (also in his late twentys).

Maybe think of having some Black and White photos taken and throwing on a shirt / sports Jacket ... you'll be surprised how professional it'll suddently look - My example I came across of this I can't find right now but http://www.redflymarketing.com/about-us/ looks quite cool and definitely gives a more professional edge to it
    As was already said lose the Smiley face picture

Black and White does look a lot better.

I was never to pleased with the paper bag, but we wanted to add a bit of humour and iv seen other businesses do it in the UK. Though, I do like that example so will be changing it.
    A bit of extra padding on some of the pages mightn't go a miss either

Anywhere in particular?

I'm not loving the fact that I didn't know that your services page had links for each of the bullets ... the popup is appearing wiht the copyright over it as well .. (may just be how I have it set) try changing your z-index on the div[/QUOTE]

I dont have this problem. Browser / Resolution might help track it down though, so its not happening to others.

Its great to have extra hands looking at this, as iv got my team to check it themselves on Macs, Firefox, IE 6/7 but nobody spotted anything.

Thanks for your help so far. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

No time to respond at moment ... but

Firefox 2.0.0.8 - 1280 x 1024 ... didn't try on my other monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice to see someone taking the C&C on board, nice one Sully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Get rid of paper bag head... I would close the site on seeing that if I was looking for professional services... that may work a consumer site but not one like this...

also I find having surnames gives a more professional air...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gordon wrote: »
    Nice to see someone taking the C&C on board, nice one Sully :)

Cheers.
    jhegarty wrote: »
    Get rid of paper bag head... I would close the site on seeing that if I was looking for professional services... that may work a consumer site but not one like this...

also I find having surnames gives a more professional air...

I have no interest in closing the site for the moment, as a lot of whats raised is minor (and a lot fixed) - apart from the resolution / browser issues which im not having so its harder for me to fix. Since the topic started, iv addressed a good few points raised (Logo, Contact Page, and Staff Page (excl. surnames, for the moment)). The developer has looked over the thread and is ready to address issues, but we need that bit more info before we can track and fix :/.

Other minor issues (such as location of navigation bar) are taken into consideration - but im getting the bigger problems fixed before moving onto something like this. :)

Thanks again lads.

• Advertisement

Iv tracked down the problem with the site on higher resolutions (iv tested it on 1920X1200). Ill get this fixed as soon as possible, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On Firefox 2, Forum submenu is a bit glitchy - one of the menu items is extending past the edge of the menu.

Should be handy enough to put right :)

Duckjob wrote: »
    On Firefox 2, Forum submenu is a bit glitchy - one of the menu items is extending past the edge of the menu.

Should be handy enough to put right :)

Hey..

Can I have your exact version of Firefox (Help -> About Mozilla Firefox) and resolution? Unable to trace the problem on my end!

Sully wrote: »
    Hey..

Can I have your exact version of Firefox (Help -> About Mozilla Firefox) and resolution? Unable to trace the problem on my end!

Sure Firefox 2.0.0.8.

Running on a laptop screen 1280 x 800. Just tried at 1024 x 768 and still have the same problem.

Hope that helps.

heres a screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Apha-ate
    try putting the IT in a diff color or something
    ....Brown bag idea does not work at all

*mono* wrote: »
    Apha-ate
    try putting the IT in a diff color or something
    ....Brown bag idea does not work at all

Not sure where your mis-reading the logo, or seeing the brown bag.. fixed those on the first day I brought this up!

Duckjob wrote: »
    heres a screenshot

Ah, I was looking at the wrong menu. Thanks, ill get that fixed soon!

Hey,

Just want to thank everyone for there feedback and suggestions. I think its pretty much covered everything. :)

Thanks, and as always - if you have any feedback/suggestions, ill take them onboard.

Cheers.
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Kevin

Just had a look at the forum linked above [http://www.aitsolutions.ie/forums/] and the Logo could do with a space between ALPHA and IT

I have attached a screenshot of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

to be honest I really liked the design. However when I click Portfolio I didn't like the yellow bordered box that came up in the middle of the screen. I think that you should put the option underneath the PORTFOLIO link. There should be no yellow border wound the writing as its out of place.

Like on your navigation Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Something I find a lot of people forget is URLs for your site. It looks like it'd be real easy on your site to use mod_rewrite to change them to http://www.aitsolutions.ie/services etc instead of the index.php?=

I know it's just a small thing but from a professional POV it's a lot easier to tell someone, "hey, check out aitsolutions.ie/services to see what we do" than saying "hey, check out aitsolutions.ie/index.php?page=services to see what we do"

Also your titles for each page don't change when you go to different pages. Would be easier for when users bookmark pages so they know which is which.

The XHTML isn't valid (11 errors) and CSS has 2 errors. If someone has a relatively good idea of web design but is looking to hire you to design something it looks unprofessional for yours to not validate, especially when most of those errors are very easy fixes.

One last thing is that the bottom curved corners of the boxes seem to have black backgrounds which show up against the page background. You may want to replace these with transparent png or gif images so you can't see the squared corner.

Other than that it's a nice looking site, hope you get some business and make a mint :)

Advertisement