Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HCAP course

• 30-10-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Lads

Was thinking of doing HCAP certification course:

http://ftp3.dns-systems.net/~zgh1209/irishdeersociety.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=10&Itemid=28

has anyone here actually participated in it and is a worhtwhile course. This is my first deer season and I have yet to fire a shoot in anger - and I wont be until I have my rifle setup sorted. But as we all know the work only start once you bag one.
    Like I say this is my first season and have little experiance in bleeding/gutting etc.

Every week it seems there is a new post about deer licesance etc but I am serious about this and want to make sure I have a ggod idea of what I am at b4 i start.

Any suggestions?

best regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Lads

Was thinking of doing HCAP certification course:

http://ftp3.dns-systems.net/~zgh1209/irishdeersociety.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=10&Itemid=28

has anyone here actually participated in it and is a worhtwhile course. This is my first deer season and I have yet to fire a shoot in anger - and I wont be until I have my rifle setup sorted. But as we all know the work only start once you bag one.
    Like I say this is my first season and have little experiance in bleeding/gutting etc.

Every week it seems there is a new post about deer licesance etc but I am serious about this and want to make sure I have a ggod idea of what I am at b4 i start.

Any suggestions?

best regards

Go out with someone who knows what they are doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

thanks for that bunny shooter, afraid I had thought of that already - but dont know anyone.

My liceance is for Kerry but I am stuck in Cork at the moment:confused:

thanks for that bunny shooter, afraid I had thought of that already - but dont know anyone.

My liceance is for Kerry but I am stuck in Cork at the moment:confused:

Ask in your local gun shop. they normally know all the lads who shoot and should be able to put you in touch with someone ?

tryed that advised it was a closed shop - espically for blow ins like me:mad:

tryed that advised it was a closed shop - espically for blow ins like me:mad:

Jesus, what a shower of red necks.

I presume you have permission/s and/or lease/s, I'm surprised someone won't go with you, even for the chance to 'share' your permission ? I would, only I haven't any experience at deer shooting

• Advertisement

permission for approx 500 acers so all in place there. The deer are there but like I saw want some experiance/confidenance b4 I go out alone. Thats why I was asking about the course.

permission for approx 500 acers so all in place there. The deer are there but like I saw want some experiance/confidenance b4 I go out alone. Thats why I was asking about the course.

A friend of mine is a very experienced deer shooter. He has Duchas permit etc. Will I mention to him that you will 'share' your permission with him in exchange for guidance ?

send me a PM and we can take it from there. I am away with work alot at the moment so timing may be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Yes lad, have a very good buddy in cork who is handy with the deer, he would have no problem brining you out a time or two. On the HCAP thing, its very worthwhile doing it not just for the coillte lands but you learn quite a bit at it too and it is proof for land owners that you have some knowledge of safety and hunting.

thanks for the info sixpointfive just what I wanted to hear. Have read the description of the course content I think you would want some experiance under your belt first though.

If your friend is interested you might PM me some contact details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

well how are we all.......... this is my second year at the deer and must say tis work shooting deer..... but the HCAP was thinking myself of doing it and will do but i recommend the stalkers manual (25 euro)that they wrote for the course as its full of info...also reckon myself the longer you leave it to do this course the harder it will get as they seem to be adding to it i'm told ,and if your ever in Clare sent me a message if ya fancy a look as can't promise a shot....

where can I get a copy of the manual, direct from the society.

Might take you up on that tackleberry as the sister in law lives in broadford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

ya buy from the society.......... any weekend suits best but i work days and evenings also so any morning im on evenings also.keep in touch

will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Hi Kerryman,
    don't mean to be the bringer of bad news but I've been waitin
    for the stalkers manual for 6 weeks, they told me they're out of stock
    at the moment, they still cashed the cheque two days after it was sent......
    I've been in contact and they assure me its on order but didn't give me any idea how long I might be waiting.....
    It sounds like it would be worth the money so it might be no harm gettin on to it....

Cheers,
    smallfry

Thanks for the heads up smallfry, must get onto it again

Advertisement