Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you take one hand off the steering wheel while reversing?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I practically had a clean sheet on my last test, two grade 2 faults on the entire sheet, but I ****ed it up royally by going up on the kerb during the reverse. See, I got all flustered coz on the test before that (don't ask) I think I got marked for taking one hand off the wheel while reversing (i.e. puttin my left hand on the passenger seat headrest) so I was trying not to do it again/wondering if I'd be marked for it again and of course wasn't watchin what I was doin and got a grade 3 fault for mounting the kerb. Fair enough, but man I was pissed. Anyway, got another test next monday and just wondered if I should do it again i.e. reversing with one hand, or go out over the weekend for an hour or two and nail the reversing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Noskoda

No problem at all in using one hand to reverse around the corner. Just be careful where you put your other hand, especially if you have a female instructor, some of them don't like a hand on their seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

redtom wrote: »
    but man I was pissed.

Maybe that's why you didn't pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Ray777 wrote: »
    Maybe that's why you didn't pass?

Yeah, you could just smell it off me......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

i.e. reversing with one hand, or go out over the weekend for an hour or two and nail the reversing.
    OR???
    You have a test shortly, there's no or. If you havent nailed it then a few hours over the weekend might be exactly what you didnt do last time.
    No problem one hand on the wheel, most people dont have 180 degree turning heads so for good observation you often need to put your hand on the seat to position yourself to see out the rear window.
    Dont forget your observation. 'Around, forward, left and back' beforehand, etc etc just as your instructor taught you.
    Good luck:)

well, I sorta meant nail the reversing using both hands on wheel, but if I can do it with one it should be ok coz I can do that (more or less, did ok on reversing on previous test but think I got a grade 2 for using one hand then)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

I'd work more on the not mounting the kerb bit, than your hand positions.. The day before my test I was still hitting the kerb or going miles away from it reversing around the corner, so that evening I reversed about 200 times around different corners in the estate until I had it. Passed the test anyway, but STILL got 1 grade 1 fault for "reversing competently" !! Its a tricky manoevre! Who reverses around corners anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Baron_Kunkel

I practically had a clean sheet on my last test, two grade 2 faults on the entire sheet, but I ****ed it up royally by going up on the kerb during the reverse. See, I got all flustered coz on the test before that (don't ask) I think I got marked for taking one hand off the wheel while reversing (i.e. puttin my left hand on the passenger seat headrest) so I was trying not to do it again/wondering if I'd be marked for it again and of course wasn't watchin what I was doin and got a grade 3 fault for mounting the kerb. Fair enough, but man I was pissed. Anyway, got another test next monday and just wondered if I should do it again i.e. reversing with one hand, or go out over the weekend for an hour or two and nail the reversing.

Tip: Place a white A4 sheet of paper on the shelf at the centre point of the back window during the test. When you are reversing all you have to do is line up the reflection of the paper with the edge of the footpath in your line of sight. This really works, try it in practice. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

lol never heard of that, sounds like a good trick. Another 1 is to also use the mirror on the passengers sun-visor but it takes a good bit of practice.

I'd work more on the not mounting the kerb bit

yeah that was coz I got all flustered and knew the tester was lookin at me and, well..... dammit to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Just use one hand as this will give you a better view behind you.

Also a problem some people have with the reverse is they try get close to the curb. You do not need to be a foot away from the curb as some people think. You can be a could metre or more depending on the road. Just be parallel with the curb. This means you shouldn't be hitting the curb ever really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You can take one hand off the steering wheel but what does putting it on the passenger seat headrest get you? Nothing.

You're also allowed take off your seatbelt while reversing, this might be a better idea if you're trying to get a better view? That way you can still keep both hands on the wheel which improves control.

You can take one hand off the steering wheel but what does putting it on the passenger seat headrest get you? Nothing.

Its just somewhere to put my hand as I'm turning round to see - I find it well awkward trying to turn and look behind me with both hands on the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

well it works for me. Probably depends on your flexibility, length of neck, shape of seat etc.
    Gives me that extra twist ability and stability and push up as I reverse and can see directly
    behind. Looking over your shoulder only gives you a view of your rear inside quarter. You wouldnt
    be able to see someone or something approaching the drivers rear side. With head rests and shaped
    seats, not always easy to twist fully & and you dont always want to be removing your belt.

Dr L
    Probably foolhardy move to rely on your visor mirror, imagine that would be a failure. For checking other angles perhaps but only in conjunction with looking behind.

BaronK
    Positioning the kerb edge to the centre of rear window is what I was taught also. No need for paper if you know what middle is. (note some sticker or something on window to guide you)

DrL
    Not only is this maneuvre used daily by most drivers, it also demonstrates a lot of different abilities. examples- Reverse parking in to narrow driveway, parking space, u-turning on narrow or busy street, and, well reversing around a corner just for a laugh or being chased in a Bourne movie.;)

Advertisement