Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Php programme

Options
  • 30-10-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to build a local community website in php and was wondering does anyone know of a good php programme that would be suitable and user friendly to use.

All I seem to find is shopping carts or forums and with my knowledge with php basic it too difficult to redesign. All the website needs to have is a navigation bar and easily load pages to view.

Thanks for anyone with any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Over to the Webmaster & Flash forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

are you talking about web community forums or social networking sites like myspace / bebo etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its for a local parish website, so looking for something thats capable of adding pages for information and easy navigation, I'm sure there's freeware out there but just can'y seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How about joomla? Don't know if its php but I've heard good things.

<edit>
    Actually it appears it is php.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Your webhost will normally have 3rd party scripts available that you can install at the click of a button.

I can recommend Joomla, Plone, and others - but there's plenty out there that might suit. For example a blogging application such as Wordpress might suit your needs - it's a smaller footprint on your web server and may be more manageable.

Try http://www.opensourcecms.com/ and browse the CMS / Blog directories.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links, will take a look through them later but they look promising

Another quick one!!

I have 3 MYsql databases named by my hoster named

myname
    myname-1
    myname-2

I'm using 2 of these databases with sites I have the thrid I installed for a website that didn't work out now I want to delete the one I'm not using but I'm having difficulty in figuring out which is which:confused::confused:. two of the databases were shopping carts so files were very similar just afraid I will delete the wrong one :eek::eek:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

BingoBongo wrote: »
    I have 3 MYsql databases named by my hoster named

myname
    myname-1
    myname-2

I'm using 2 of these databases with sites I have the thrid I installed for a website that didn't work out now I want to delete the one I'm not using but
    Does your host have phpMyAdmin installed? (who is your host?)
    You can use phpMyAdmin to browse the databases - it's a web interface to MySQL - and to delete the one you don't need.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Does your host have phpMyAdmin installed? (who is your host?)
    You can use phpMyAdmin to browse the databases - it's a web interface to MySQL - and to delete the one you don't need.

Yes its installed, but can't find the exact link to see which website its installed too, I'm sure its probably staring me in the face but I haven't used the phpadmin before.

Well I deleted the right one "Happy Days"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Before deleting deleting a db its good practice to do a backup of its contents to an sql dump and store it someplace, just in case you need to recover for any reason after the deletion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Before deleting deleting a db its good practice to do a backup of its contents to an sql dump and store it someplace, just in case you need to recover for any reason after the deletion.
    And this is easily done with phpMyAdmin. There is an 'Export' option on the front page. Simply save to a file. I do this regularly with my sites and save the SQL file in CVS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

And this is easily done with phpMyAdmin.

As long as it's a small database.

Advertisement