Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bowling alley opening on Friday in Carrick

• 30-10-2007 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I got a leaflet in the post today to say that the bowling alley is opening on Friday in Carrick on Shannon at 12 noon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

How come Carrick can have a bowling alley but yet Sligo doesnt, I think its a great opportunity for someone to set one up in Sligo
    Great news for Carrick though,good to have the extra choice of amenities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo seems to have trouble sustaining such things. After a few good years, the one on Ballast Quay got very quiet before closing. There was karting at Finisklin too, but that closed. There's only one pitch and putt that I know of and no paint balling. Maybe Sligo people are just lazy:D
    Carrick is really expanding quickly. I know the development stretching out along the N4 in both directions could've been planned better (i.e. not make it feel like driving through an industrial estate a mile before you enter the town), but the amenities available in the last two years or so are fantastic. Means people from south Leitrim don't need to head to Longford or struggle through parking free Sligo to do their shopping, go to the cinema etc.
    Carrick needs more parking though. I usually try down at Emerald Star. Bit of a walk back to the bowling alley though:D I presume there's loads of parking at it (not being in Sligo and all). Hope it's a big success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

il gatto wrote: »
    Sligo seems to have trouble sustaining such things. After a few good years, the one on Ballast Quay got very quiet before closing. There was karting at Finisklin too, but that closed. There's only one pitch and putt that I know of and no paint balling. Maybe Sligo people are just lazy:D
    Carrick is really expanding quickly. I know the development stretching out along the N4 in both directions could've been planned better (i.e. not make it feel like driving through an industrial estate a mile before you enter the town), but the amenities available in the last two years or so are fantastic. Means people from south Leitrim don't need to head to Longford or struggle through parking free Sligo to do their shopping, go to the cinema etc.
    Carrick needs more parking though. I usually try down at Emerald Star. Bit of a walk back to the bowling alley though:D I presume there's loads of parking at it (not being in Sligo and all). Hope it's a big success.

The bowling alley in Sligo was a huge success for years but then they opened a bar in it and it was finished!

The Karting moved out the country a bit and eventually closed.

We have just the one pitch and putt course which is adaquate and yes no paintballing.

Now in fairness none of those "sports" require much in terms of fitness so we're hardly lazy!

I do really miss the bowling though.

Where is it opening in Carrick?

The karting in town which shut was separate from the one on the Ballina road which shut after a family tragedy.
    I was led to believe the bar opened in the Sligo bowling alley in response to falling custom. Maybe that's wrong.
    I refute your claim that people in Sligo are not lazy. I for one have had an aversion to "activities" verging on mania for many years:D I almost walked to the shop last week, but then thought better of it.:D
    The bowling alley in Carrick is on the right as you enter Carrick from Sligo side. Don't know if it can be seen from the road, but I'm sure it'll get a big sign up if you can't.
    I'll be paying a visit to put my Wii honed skills to good use:)

Saw the sign for it last night. It's the third exit (right beside Lidl, I think) at the first roundabout as you enter Carrick from the Sligo side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Gotcha.
    Must take a spin up!

Advertisement