Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HID's and Nct

Options
  • 31-10-2007 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

does anybody know what the sceal is with nct and the aftermarket xenon/hid kits you can get?fail/pass, etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

as far as i know the HID lights require specific lenses that are different to the ones that are on standard halogen lights and have also heard that they have to have washers on them, I do know a few people who have fitted HIDs though and not had any problems with them. As long as they are alligned correctly then you shouldnt have any problems with the NCT, there not too pickey with stuff they dont understand.,lol,.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Whats HID??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Duff

congo_90 wrote: »
    Whats HID??

High Intensity Discharge. Its a type of bulb, Alot of exceutive cars have them, they give off a blueish white light.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as long as you don't go bluer than 6k, you should be alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

colm_mcm wrote: »
    as long as you don't go bluer than 6k, you should be alright.

higher colour temps can sill pass the NCT no problem but after 6000K the light becomes too blue and your eyes cant process blue light very well so you end up not being able to see anything.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Gardai have a problem with other people having blue lights on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

Don't go more then 8000K. but anyone that has HID can confirm that disconnecting them once every 2 years is very easy. just in case you think your car will fail the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pearser

I failed the NCT and one of the fails was that my lights were not aligned correctly. I have 8000k HID's and was told at the NCT centre that the lights were fine but the alignment had to be sorted. I brought the car to Advane Pitstop and was told they couldn't align the lights on their machine. I've now got a week left to get my lights aligned and the car re-tested, can anyone advise on how I can get them aligned??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

pearser wrote: »
    I failed the NCT and one of the fails was that my lights were not aligned correctly. I have 8000k HID's and was told at the NCT centre that the lights were fine but the alignment had to be sorted. I brought the car to Advane Pitstop and was told they couldn't align the lights on their machine. I've now got a week left to get my lights aligned and the car re-tested, can anyone advise on how I can get them aligned??

what kind of car is it?
    Are the lights after market or OEM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the Gardai have a problem with other people having blue lights on their cars.

they're not blue like garda flashing lights, the're bright white really with a blue tinge to the light , increasing to further up the scale of what rating it is like 6000k, 7000k etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

one idea is track down someone that installs them in your area, and see if they can help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just drive the car to a wall on a flat surface. Stop the car 2 foot from the wall and turn on the lights, get out and look were the top of the light hits the wall, it should be level or slightly below the level of the headlight. If its above it, just adjust the light down. Its fairly simple and i've done it for nearly all the cars i've had nct and none have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I just realised now that this thread got a massive bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It's all to do with how well the lights are adjusted after the HIDs are fitted. IMO, they suit some cars better than others, i.e. the reflector is more suited.

I installed them on my wife's Audi A2 and they are great. I've never been flashed once when driving it.

However, I see some other cars (seems to be mostly Japanese cars for some reason) and the lights are blinding. I'm not sure whether they just need to be adjusted or the reflectors send the light everywhere and aren't suitable for HIDs. The projector type headlamps seem to be less suited from what I've read.

There is definitely no need to go above 6000k. Anything above that and you get less light on the road as it's too blue. The OEM standard that you see in high end cars is 4300k so 5000 or 6000k is more than enough. Some people think that the k (kelvin rating) relates to the amount of light. It's actually the colour of the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

I would of taught it was kelvin as in temperature? :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

toco123 wrote: »
    I would of taught it was kelvin as in temperature? :-S

Yes, probably more accurate. However, it does come down to the colour of the light. Low kelvin is yellow up to high kelvin which is blue. White is inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

i fit these for a living amongst ather things qand the only query i have had from the NCT center was were they more than 55w and when i said that they were 35w and that the difference that they were seeing was the difference in lumens which nearly triples to 3200lms with a hid conversion kit his eyes kinda went blank and went "oh yeah" seemed baffeled but happy enough when they were not over 55w the way that they test them in the nct centers only tests the direction of the light not the intensity so just keep the wiring tidy and you shpuld have no problem J(Auto Electrical Concepts)

Advertisement