Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on "internet debating technique"

• 31-10-2007 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Im actually looking for a specific webpage, which I believe was posted on this forum at one stage.

It was a webpage which has a large list of debating techniques, many of which were signs of "low brow" debating or poor debating skills. Each were explained in detail and the page was full of great advice.

If anyone knows the page Im talking about and has it bookmarked, please let me know the URL. Googling has so far proven fruitless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hmm. I remember this one being posted, but no specific 'internet debating techniques' one. If it was posted in this forum, though, it may be on the same thread.

Let us know if you find it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

womoma wrote: »
    Im actually looking for a specific webpage, which I believe was posted on this forum at one stage.

It was a webpage which has a large list of debating techniques, many of which were signs of "low brow" debating or poor debating skills. Each were explained in detail and the page was full of great advice.

If anyone knows the page Im talking about and has it bookmarked, please let me know the URL. Googling has so far proven fruitless.

I don't think you need that webpage. You've obviously learned those techniques already. :p

Sorry, Asiaprod, I don't know what came over me. The temptation was offered to me on a plate and the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. Any ban or rebuke is probably richly deserved! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for the link Scofflaw. I did find the page in the end :D

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-propaganda.html

Pretty interesting and a worthwhile read IMO.

PDN wrote: »
    I don't think you need that webpage. You've obviously learned those techniques already. :p

PDN your sarcasm gets boring.

I do hope you're not going to try to seek out my posts to ridicule me just because I made a post elsewhere, where I disagreed with your opinions. That would be very immature, and I would report that kind of behaviour.

PDN your sarcasm gets boring.

I do hope you're not going to try to seek out my posts to ridicule me just because I made a post elsewhere, where I disagreed with your opinions. That would be very immature, and I would report that kind of behaviour.

Ah, well. PDN's like that to nearly everyone here. It saves his congregation from lynching him, so just think of him as a cross to bear.

silencio aurum est,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Sorry, Asiaprod, I don't know what came over me. The temptation was offered to me on a plate and the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. Any ban or rebuke is probably richly deserved! :o
    Its the devil in you:)Blame it on Halloween;), but it did inspire this little gem from scofflaw
    silencio aurum est
    And rest assured the Mods would act on it, though I don't see this becomming an issue

Neither do I. He actually seems ok, for a theist :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Woo, that is very interesting.

Is there other ways to try and train your mind to think logically, excercises etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pretty interesting and worthwhile read?

how to be more like hitler?

Mordeth wrote: »
    pretty interesting and worthwhile read?

how to be more like hitler?

Sorry but, did you even read the text?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oooh, I misread the first bit..

i thought it said to try these techniques on people, not people try these tricks on you....

hehehe

Hehe. Easy mistake to make.

I've been reading bits of it it tonight, and despite being similar, it is not actually the same page as what I had been looking for. :o

He does cite some of his own opinions and as far as I remember, the page which had a ton of debating techniques was completely objective.

It's still an interesting read, but its driving me nuts looking for this particular page about debating technique. Ahh well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Don't forget if we all start debating logically, Tim might return from his self-imposed exile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭John Wine

Dades wrote: »
    Don't forget if we all start debating logically, Tim might return from his self-imposed exile.
    Sounds like some subtext there.
    Interesting link, but I think the author has a chip on his shoulder about the AA.

Dades wrote: »

Get thee behind me with your straight lines.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Really good read.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 worben

Would it be this site by any chance ?

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html

No. As far as I remember the webpage content was completely unbiased.

Still, thats a great link, and seems to cover similar content.

Advertisement