Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash!

Options
  • 31-10-2007 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I unfortunatly had my first crash tonight, a lady broke a red light and pulled straight out in front of me, i braked but couldnt stop in time and smack straight into the side of her! Her car was in quite a state, mine in slightly less! She admitted she was in the wrong and a taxi driver pulled over and confirmed this and gave me his details. I have her details Name/Phone Number/ Insurance number etc... He car was a rental car, which i have details of. She rang her insurance and they said they would be in contact with me in the morning! Just wondering is there any advice you can give me as this is the first time i've had a crash and i'm not quite sure what to do, what are the steps to take, what happens with insurance etc...

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did you call the cops and get them to do a report on the accident?
    Taking a few pictures of the accident on your phone might help prove that the other driver was in the wrong , just incase the insurance company wants to put part of the blame on you.

You have the details of a witness and her info, that is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcfecked

Didnt know i needed to call the cops! She siad she accepted resonsibility and would sort it out with the insurance company!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No need to call cops, and they usually take a long long time to turn up, if no-one is injured. Just drop by the Garda station for the area you crashed and report it. Pictures would have been handy, but aren't really any use as can't show the lights when crash happened. You also need to inform your own insurance company and fill in a crash report, which they will send out. Other insurance company will send out crash report also, fill that in. Go to a couple of garages and get quotes for repair of car. Also make sure to contact the taxi driver and make sure he is OK with being contacted by insurance companies, also confirm that he is backing you up as some people can change their mind/stories.

One thing to note is that if your insurance is up soon you can't change company with a pending claim, even thought it's you claiming:confused:

will i still have to contact my insurance company if she is admitting liability and is paying of her insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Mcfecked wrote: »
    will i still have to contact my insurance company if she is admitting liability and is paying of her insurance?

Probably best to tell them in case she tries blame you. not too sure if you have to tell them
    She said she accepted responsibility and would sort it out with the insurance company!

people are great at admitting liability at the side of the road but wont admit it when the Gardai are present or to their insurance company.

The good thing is you have an independent witness to the accident that can verify what you have said about her breaking the lights. Better yet is no one was physically hurt.

as was said it might be a good idea to let the local police station know about it at least then it's on record obviously it wont be a great report as they wont have seen the crash or anything but still no harm in doing it i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

even if ya dont call the cops to the scene, its always prudent to call into your local station and just make a report there saying that the other person accepted responsibility, and they will log the accident as Del2005 said.

Its always good in case she changes her mind and it has to go to court. when someone hit me, i reported it next day, and the cops took all details, and told me any probs they have the details so they can look into it.

Yes contact them and tell them she is admitting liability, just in case she pulls a fast one and trys to claim of your insurance for personal injury. Just so they have the details on file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Yeah definatly advice your own insurance company, garda don't need to be called as they're was no-one injured, the taxi driver is a witness along with the damage to the cars you will be proved to be in the right.
    Also no harm in checking the area for CCTV which may have been pointed in that direction (traffic monitoring or shop cctv)
    In any case I wouldnt worry too much unless you were an unaccomponied prov licence holder......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Be aware that if it was a rental car, it is the rental company's insurance that covers the claim, not the woman's.

First thing is to report it to the Gardai. Make a note of teh name and number of the Garda who takes your report.
    Then ring your insurance company to report it. They'll send you out some forms to fill out which will include details such as her car details, her insurance company, a little box where you can crudely sketch the accident (I'm not joking), the taxi driver's details and the Garda's details. Once you send that off, your insurance company will handle it.

An important thing is when either insurance company asks you, "Who do you think is at fault", don't say, "I think it's her", or "I'm fairly sure it's not me", just say, "She is" without any hesitation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Didnt know i needed to call the cops! She siad she accepted resonsibility and would sort it out with the insurance company!
    Read as: it'll be your fault.

OP, tell the Gardai what happened, otherwise it may look like you have something to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

A lady reversed into the front of my brothers car before coming outta a space in a car park...she admitted it was her fault and they exchanged details...

On the way home he got a call from the cops saying that she had made a report that he hit the back of her...(her husband was with her as a whitness - my brother was on his own)

Subsequently she proceeded with a claim untill my brother was able to get actual cctv footage of what actually happened (it was a train station car park)

So be careful..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

If I was in the OPs position I would insist on calling the cops (even though they won't want to come). I work with this crap day in day out and it is not unusual for individuals/defendants to deny all responsibility/sit on their hands even where they are clearly at fault.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

By law at any accident you have to call the cops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

seamus wrote: »
    Be aware that if it was a rental car, it is the rental company's insurance that covers the claim, not the woman's.

F

she could have being using her own insurance on the rental car, i've done that before.

They rental company took in my car the next morning to a garage and gave me a new car while it's being fixed! They said they're are paying for everything to be fixed! Really fantastic service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Claims of responsibility at the scene of an accident are not relyable, I know of a case where a driver subsequently claimed they were in "shock" at the scene and then denied any responsibility.
    If possible get the Gardai to the scene to be sure..
    bam

Advertisement