Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camp 2000

Options
  • 31-10-2007 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember an activity center actually I think there were loads around Ireland called Camp 2000.

I was in Belvedere House outside Mullingar when it all came flooding back to me on Sunday.

We were brought there in 6th class way back in 1989 I think it was and we learned how to canoe and build camps and some other things that dont come to mind at this early stage of the morning.

But does anyone else get to go to one of these Camp 2000's places ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I vaguely recall my sister having an odd uniform for Camp 2000 ... back in the 80s... couldn't tell you where it was though.
    Must root out that photo...it's funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thank God someone remembers I thought I was going mad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ladypolgara

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Thank God someone remembers I thought I was going mad !
    Yes I was just talking about it and decided to look it up. I went in 6th class and loved it. Probably 1986. Don't remember where but it was like an old college. We did orienteering, trampoline, canoeing and made bread and potatoes in the woods. Each group had indian tribe names. It was my first time away alone and I loved it. Great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FlamingSox

Hi, I went to camp 2000 for a week when I was 10 with a friend and had a fab time!! It was in Ballyfin, Co. Laois. I was a 'Huron' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 e.wilson

I remember one in UCD when I was around 2nd or 3rd class. We made a movie called The Man Who Collected Human Beings using the same JVC video cameras that Michael J Fox used in back to the future!! I just collected my son from film camp & the memories came flooding back!!! We also did judo, trampolining & a load of other activities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, I went a few times back in the 80s. The first was in Ballyfin, it was called Ballyfin Adventure Camp then, probably 1984? I was in the "Navaho" group, and like every else has said, we did canoeing, archery, judo, maybe badminton, trampolining etc. Stayed in Dorms on site, had a huge food fight one of the mornings in the hall at breakfast. There was a disco at the end of the week and a food shop for sweets that only opened a couple an hours a day. Oh, and Mini Ha-Ha was the "name" of our group leader (she was probably only 18 or 19 but was a real grown up as far as we were concerned!). Think I still have pics somewhere.

I went a couple more times, the name changed to Camp 2000, staying in Limerick/Dromineer (on a boat in the Marina, you moved from Limerick to Dromineer halfway through the week) and also stayed in Belvedere House in 1989 too. Some great memories, can still remember some of the people I met from back then, their full names and everything, though obviously we never saw each other again. Definitely remember the Michael J Fox posters/cut outs for the Video Camera sessions (maybe '86 or '87?) and also remember a group of Germans who were there in Belvedere in '89.

It's funny, I think I was 10 the first time I went, I can't imagine now sending off my 10 year old daughter for a week, without her knowing anyone there at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Our class went to something like this circa 1986 but I don't think it was Camp 2000, maybe some kind of cheap knockoff. We didn't do any camping, or overnight stuff. Most of the activities were based out of the local hall. We did orienteering, some kind non contact football where you couldn't tackle, and we went on a bus trip to a swimming pool in a town about thirty miles away.

We were also shown a video, this weird American psa that looked like it was from the 60s or early 70s with two live action kids turning into cartoon versions of themselves and entering someone's body to have conversations with bodily organs, I'm curious to find out what this was and if anyone else was shown it.

Advertisement