Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm off.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭5989

Licksy wrote: »
    Similarly, you could look up the european tour site and see the "flyovers". Just choose a tournament like the Dunhill Links or the Open last year that was played there and you can get access to those previews.

Thanks for all the advice. Really excellent. Seems like its hard not to have fun there, even if the putts aren't dropping!

Hopefully the weather will behave and it should be a magical four days.

I'd hate to play it only a couple of times....seems like a place you'd need to play again and again to appreciate- Portmarnock-esque..might look into an annual winter pilgrimage like you do Licksy!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wellpastit

Im heading to St Andrews next month too:D.. looking forward... hoping the weather is good. I want to see Leinster Final on sun 10th any idea where I might go. I think Dundee might be closest any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

wellpastit, if you get a chance, play Kingsbarns, its about 10 miles outside St Andrews and is an incredible links course, better in my view than St Andrews. It is one of the Dunhill Links courses.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Off again in the morning... It's all part of life's rich pageant, you know?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It don't get any easier to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Yip....playing the Old Course Tuesday week and New Course the following day.
    The weather would wanna heat up a bit though!

We're out early so I would have to carry my bag. Dodgy back so might get a caddy? Senior caddy cost £45 plus tip. How much do people tip?
    Would a caddy be worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Just don't hit the ball so bloody far,, that might save your back:p

best of luck anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Reganovski wrote: »
    Yip....playing the Old Course Tuesday week and New Course the following day.
    The weather would wanna heat up a bit though!

We're out early so I would have to carry my bag. Dodgy back so might get a caddy? Senior caddy cost £45 plus tip. How much do people tip?
    Would a caddy be worth the money?

How did the trip go Ivan?

After several unsuccessful applications, I have finally secured a tee time (full fourball) at St Andrews from the 12th March 2014. We're playing the Jubilee course first @ 12.40 and then the Old course on the 13th @ 09.40 and the New course last on the 14th at 10.15.

To anyone whose gone over on a similar trip, how likely are forst delays etc round this time of the year. I know if the course opens within an hour of your tee time after delays then you are accomodated. So if the old course didn't open until 10.40 then we would be ok, otherwise we would get bumped.

Any advice much appreciated. PhilipMarlowe has sent me a PM with some info already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Not sure they get a lot of frost as it is right beside the sea so you may be ok. I was over there this year same trip. We got the ferry and drove which is good if you have a sutiable car, it works out a bit cheaper but not much.
    Enjoy.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sounds amazing man care to divulge the cost involved?

Ya I was looking at that, but planning on flying over the Tuesday and home the Saturday now instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

slingerz wrote: »
    Sounds amazing man care to divulge the cost involved?
    Hi,
    It was expensive enough.
    We played the New and Old and then a course on the west coast on the way to the ferry.
    Ferry was €415.
    New Course £50
    Old Course £105
    B&B £40 Per night
    So it was around £360 sterling plus spending money and the course on the west coast.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

There is a winter package at St. Andrews where you can play three of their courses including the Old Course for £150 between January and March inclusive. Flights are €100 + €60 for the clubs with Aer Lingus.

The downside however is that you may have to play off mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads I live in Edinburgh, you should be ok weather wise, but it will be bloody cold still.
    If you have spare time, I'd recommend the Torrance or Kittocks in Fairmont, on the hill above St Andrews looking down to the Bay, both link. You'd be able to get it for around £25 each for a 4 ball, great courses and nice early starts.
    I use teeofftimes.co.uk for those prices.

Playing The Eden, this Saturday morning, dont think Im quite ready for The Old (psychologically)!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ALBT

I was over in April and there was snow on the course and we still got out, we booked for the first day that the mats were not required. We played the Old Course and the new course. The old course is one of the best experiences you will ever have in golf and I'd go back tomorrow but the new course (about 150 years old!) is probably a better course.
    Its unbelievable how nervous you will get teeing off on the first even though the fairway is about 150 yards wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

saintastic wrote: »
    There is a winter package at St. Andrews where you can play three of their courses including the Old Course for £150 between January and March inclusive. Flights are €100 + €60 for the clubs with Aer Lingus.

The downside however is that you may have to play off mats.

I looked up that deal and it doesn't include the old course. Have you a link to that particular deal?

Ya we got the deal for £150 for the three rounds. We picked the New and the Jubilee along with the old. I was gonna pick the Eden at my dad is 70 and not the longest hitter, but appartently the tees are a bit forward on the courses and the run should make them ok.

All the information is on the St Andrews website. It's called the Winter package, golf for 3 consecutive days. There's another 3 day unlimited golf pass and you can play as much golf over the courses at st andrews with the exception of the old course. Think that's £130 in March.

In November - February you play off a fairway mat on all courses. If your ball is in the rough, you play it as it lies. In March you only need a mat off the fairways on the old course. All other courses is play as it lies.

In fairness, for the price, £150 its great value. The website also tells you how many tee times are available each day for the old course via the Winter Package deal.

After the success of the trip in March 2013, we're heading back over there for 4 rounds of golf at the end of March 2015. Jubilee course first up, then the New Course, then the Old Course and must pick between Eden Course on the Friday or else the Kittocks or Torrance courses at the Fairmount Hotel in the town.

Can't wait for it!

bailey99 wrote: »
    After the success of the trip in March 2013, we're heading back over there for 4 rounds of golf at the end of March 2015. Jubilee course first up, then the New Course, then the Old Course and must pick between Eden Course on the Friday or else the Kittocks or Torrance courses at the Fairmount Hotel in the town.

Can't wait for it!

Kittocks >> Torrance >> Eden for me!

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Kittocks >> Torrance >> Eden for me!

Enjoy!

You think the Kittocks is the choice to go for then?

In case people are thinking this is too expensive, it isn't. We got flights, with our golf clubs, house rented in centre of St Andrews for 5 nights, 4 rounds of golf on the Old, New, Jubilee and either of the Fairmount St Andrews courses (Torrance or Kittocks), car hire with the excess insurance and it's coming in around €575 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd play the Castle Course if you get a chance, obviously you may not this time round. Played it when went over last year, was a fine course, tough test and seemed very good for a new course too. Stayed in Fairmont but didn't get to play any of the courses there.

Have our three booked and the fourth round will either be Torrance or Kittocks in Fairmount St Andrews Hotel or else somewhere like Crail, Lundin or Ladybank perhaps.

bailey99 wrote: »
    You think the Kittocks is the choice to go for then?

For the benefit of anyone reading the thread (bailey and I have been chatting over PM), Kittocks would be my preferred choice of the three.

The Fairmont Hotel (where Kittocks and Torrance courses are) is apparently up for sale too, so deals from them directly might be a go-er.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

Personally I'd play a fourth round over The Eden (some great stuff) or Crail, Lundin or Leven before I'd go to the Fairmont courses.

They may be shorter but they are great fun and ooze history and real links golf.

The Fairmont courses are a little too constructed and are more clifftop parkland courses.

razorblunt wrote: »
    For the benefit of anyone reading the thread (bailey and I have been chatting over PM), Kittocks would be my preferred choice of the three.

The Fairmont Hotel (where Kittocks and Torrance courses are) is apparently up for sale too, so deals from them directly might be a go-er.

Have decided to go for the Kittocks on the 4th day. Was looking at the PGA Centenary Course in Gleneagles where the Ryder Cup was and got a great rate from them in fairness at £70 per person. But seeing as it's the fourth days golf in a row and a couple of pints will be enjoyed after the Old Course on Thursday, we are going to chance the Kittocks on the Friday.

After the success of last years trip we're heading out on Monday for 4 days of golf in St Andrews. Jubilee on Tuesday, New on Wednesday, Old on Thursday and Kittocks on Thursday.

I don't think we'll get as good, dry, calm weather as last year but here's hoping. The walk up the 18th and the Valley of Sin.........can't wait!

Good stuff, just need the wind to hold in your favour and you're laughing!

I'm playing the PGA in April, they are offering a decent package to us, so we're getting it for close to 70 with breakfast (bacon roll and coffee) and lunch afterwards thrown in - it's through work hence the rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Any recommendations for booking a golf trip to St Andrews. Did you use a third party for booking any part of it as part of some kind of package? Was thinking of a similar trip (Staying in St Andrews and playing 3 or four rounds there) in the not too distant future. What kind of budget would you be looking at?

Bailey99 would love to hear how you get on when you get back.

Advertisement