Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm off.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

bailey99 wrote: »
    After the success of last years trip we're heading out on Monday for 4 days of golf in St Andrews. Jubilee on Tuesday, New on Wednesday, Old on Thursday and Kittocks on Thursday.

I don't think we'll get as good, dry, calm weather as last year but here's hoping. The walk up the 18th and the Valley of Sin.........can't wait!

You need a bit of wind to make it interesting ;)

I was over there last week and we played the New, Old and Jubilee.
    Wind at our backs on the front 9 for the first 2 days meant hitting sand wedges into a lot of the par 4s. The back 9 were beasts and most par 4s were unreachable in 2.

The 17th on the New is a 229 yard par 3 that played into the wind. We all hit driver and didn't get within 30 yards of the front edge :)

Fortunately we had calm weather for our final day on the Jubilee as some overnight rain made the course play long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

razorblunt wrote: »
    Good stuff, just need the wind to hold in your favour and you're laughing!

I'm playing the PGA in April, they are offering a decent package to us, so we're getting it for close to 70 with breakfast (bacon roll and coffee) and lunch afterwards thrown in - it's through work hence the rate.

That's a great rate, enjoy it! If we were going for three rounds I would go for Gleneagles but I reckon we will be tired on the 4th day and are staying in St Andrews so it'd be an hour driving each direction and flying home the saturday so I'll just have to add it to the list for next year instead!!!!

Last year we played Jubilee in no wind and destroyed the course, the Old was calm as well and shot 82 with a stupid out of bounds drive on the 14th. New course the final day, the wind blew and my god is was a different proposition. Once it's dry, that's all we want.

Aesop wrote: »
    Any recommendations for booking a golf trip to St Andrews. Did you use a third party for booking any part of it as part of some kind of package? Was thinking of a similar trip (Staying in St Andrews and playing 3 or four rounds there) in the not too distant future. What kind of budget would you be looking at?

Bailey99 would love to hear how you get on when you get back.

We booked the Winter package last year and again this year. £150 for three courses including the Old. Both times we picked the New, Jubilee andl the Old. The Castle is good but we didn't pick it as you need to play off the mats there whereas the New and the Jubilee it's summer rules and full course in operation. You also get £15 in food vouchers for the clubhouse as part of the package for that lunch and a few pints for free the first day.

Last year we stayed in Rusacks Hotel which is right beside the 18th fairway. Got a ridiculous price booking it a few months in advance. It was around £100 sterling for the room each night for 2 people with full
    l breakfast each morning. Was unreal having breakfast over looking the 1st tee and 18th green each day.

This year we are renting a house in the town and it's much cheaper. Standard 2 bedroom house for the week, four of us staying there.

Price wise, I'm fairly good at haggling and getting prices as low as possible. For flights, bringing our own clubs, car hire, excess insurance, accommodation for 5 nights, four rounds of golf on the Old, New, Jubilee and Kittocks courses its €550.

If you need any information, PM me, some nice drinking holes and restaurants in the town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Threads merged

Just under three weeks and we are off again. 24 of us travelling over, its getting popular.

Playing the Ryder cup course in Gleneagles on day one. Jubilee course on day two. Old course on day three. Castle course on day four. And kittocks course in Fairmont on day five.

First time travelling over on April so looking forward to hitting off the turf this time round on the Old course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boban z

that's a serious looking week of golf.
    Whats the cost?

boban z wrote: »
    that's a serious looking week of golf.
    Whats the cost?

All in 730 euro. Flights, golf clubs, luggage, car hire, 5 rounds of golf, 5 nights accommodation and a £15 voucher for the bar in the old course clubhouse.

We have three houses smack bang in the town centre, it's a great week. This is the fourth trip over there I've organised.

And less than a week to go and we're off again, fifth time in 6 years. 12 of us heading over for 4 rounds of golf next week. The forecast is looking good at the moment, hopefully it'll hold.

Jubilee on Tuesday, Old on Wednesday, New on Thursday and Eden on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

bailey99 wrote: »
    And less than a week to go and we're off again, fifth time in 6 years. 12 of us heading over for 4 rounds of golf next week. The forecast is looking good at the moment, hopefully it'll hold.

Jubilee on Tuesday, Old on Wednesday, New on Thursday and Eden on Friday.

Congrats, enjoy. Try get a good place to put the scorecard while you're playing e4eabd20678227.562ef4f1ac5d1.jpg

Advertisement