Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check numbers of users on my Wifi

Options
  • 31-10-2007 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how I check how many people are using my wifi connection at any time ?

I have a Netopia Wireless router. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The best way is to access the router's settings/config pages, and look for a function that displays Attached Devices. To do this you would typically enter the IP address of the router into your web browser:

Go to the command prompt, and type ipconfig and hit [Enter].
    The IP address after the default gateway will typically be the IP address of your router. Enter that into your browser address window and hit enter.

Username and password (if there are any) will be somewhere in the documentation you received with the modem/router.

Search for an option that lists attached devices. This should give you IP addresses for all machines or devices connected to your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭banchang

thanks Krusty

I can do this, but is there anything simpler anyone knows to quickly spotcheck ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Make a bookmark to the router's config page and
    set your browser to remember the password.

Can't get faster than that.

banchang wrote: »
    thanks Krusty

I can do this, but is there anything simpler anyone knows to quickly spotcheck ?
    You only need to establish what your IP address is once..
    Do what Shiny suggested. When you find the [Attached devices] type page, bookmark it.. Then you'll have all you need in a click or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I have a Netopia Wireless router. Tks

If you're with eircom you can log into the router's homepage (usually http://192.168.1.254 I think) and select "Troubleshoot" from the menu on the left hand side.
    Then select "Statistics" and "Lan".
    The page that comes up will give you a list of devices connected to the LAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭banchang

thanks guys that should do it

Wondering what that car parked outside my door was doing every night.....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Wondering what that car parked outside my door was doing every night.....!!

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Use MAC filtering . Find the MAC address of each machine you want to allow to access your wireless network (ipconfig/all on each machine will give you this) and then configure your network to allow only those MAC addresses on . Also use WPA2 encryption . There's no such thing as a secure wireless network but at least you'll be making it more difficult to hack into .

nessyguin wrote: »
    Use MAC filtering . Find the MAC address of each machine you want to allow to access your wireless network (ipconfig/all on each machine will give you this) and then configure your network to allow only those MAC addresses on . Also use WPA2 encryption . There's no such thing as a secure wireless network but at least you'll be making it more difficult to hack into .
    Don't mean to sound rude, but don't bother with MAC filtering. It would take longer to set up then it would to bypass and might create a false sense of security (pardon the pun!). But yes, WPA2 should be all you need. If you use WPA2, that's as secure as you need for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Agreed WPA2 (AKA WPA + PSK + AES). MAC filtering is pointless.
    Really long mixed upper, lower case letters and numbers password with no real words in it.

Write it down clearly first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement