Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Caps and Penalties

Options
  • 31-10-2007 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I have a 3Mb line with NTL and a cap of 30Gb (I think) per month .

Has anyone any experience of being way over their monthly cap and being penalised for this? If so, what were the penalties?

Also, what would anybody recommend for tracking their downloads?

Thanks

Kezzer

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

All they've done in the past is send a standard letter warning you to stay below the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Spear wrote: »
    All they've done in the past is send a standard letter warning you to stay below the cap.

They cut off a load of people about a year ago. No warning or anything. Just a letter telling them why they were being cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I can confirm that NTL did indeed disconnect people for going over their
    cap - this was at the same time as they started counting both upload
    and download as usage whereas previously they only counted download.
    Customers were not informed of this and people were disconnected without
    having received any warning or request to decrease usage/pay additional fees.

NTL/Chorus/UPC/Chello do not provide any facility for their customers
    to monitor and check their usage. They recommended in the past to
    purchase DUmeter - which is not a practical usage if you have more
    than one PC in your house or you download directly to a PS3 or Xbox360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

Same problem here. I don't know if I should take NTL Ultra with a cap of 40gig or connect my phoneline with aircom first and then choose IBB or smarttelecom.

Any advices? I really don't know how much I would download during the month (last.fm all the time, youtube, video.google.com...)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

paulm17781 wrote: »
    They cut off a load of people about a year ago. No warning or anything. Just a letter telling them why they were being cut off.

Shame, I was perversely proud of our warning letter. All the more relieved to be on Smart now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Considering you can't really use torrents on NTL, I can't see you passing the 30gig capacity too easily. 1 Gb per day will go quite a long way on youtube, etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I got two warning letters before the summer, nothing since,

I know one or two people in work who got disconnected

While torrents may not work I've still managed 14GB down in a day :)

lol. 14gig/day. not too bad!

I think I would use http://www.myp2p.eu quite a lot. pretty nice to watch sports.

can't you use torrents because peer-to-peer is not possible in generell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I usually go over the limt. After I got a letter or two I calmed down a bit but still hit about 60gigs a month
    (40gig cap). I don't know why people use torrents their horribly slow newsgroups work so much better.
    Here's a link to a free 7 day trial of a newsgroup server http://member.hitnews.eu/signup.php?lang=en
    Use newzleech.com as your search engine and you will be grand.

• Advertisement

or use EDIT with a rapidshare account. very good stuff.

but bittorrent and so would work with ntl, right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads I don't want to see ANY links to warez sites, anymore and I'll be handing out bans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

balu wrote: »
    but bittorrent and so would work with ntl, right?
    NTL are one of the few companies that seem to use traffic shaping, making torrents almost impossible. And before you ask, there appears to be no way around it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I must be one of the only one's unaffected by NTL's traffic shaping. I have their 6mb connection and i am downloading a 700mb file now at a speed of 450-550. Granted it's a well seeded file. But i get decent speeds on amply seeded ones too

i use net meter and always stop at just under a gig a day. It wrecks my head that i can only download that much a day as i thought NTL were clamping down. But judging from comments in this thread i think i'm gonna disregard the 1gb a day cap a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

1gb a day!! u poor guy. i did 20.62GB there one day a week ago. id say i average around 6GB - 9GB. some days only 1GB and others over 10GB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

and actually on the topic, i use DUmeter and have Vista Ultimate but my kB/sec caps at 480 per second which is about twice what it shud be as in a file wud be coming down on the status bar at 180 - 240 (240 is my cap here on my 2mcb line and always was) but the traffic recording in total works fine? Anyone else have that issue, ie the live feed is about double what it shud be? i was on xp home before and it was always capping at 240 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Bambaata wrote: »
    1gb a day!! u poor guy. i did 20.62GB there one day a week ago. id say i average around 6GB - 9GB. some days only 1GB and others over 10GB

I know. It's been a while since i checked this forum and last time i did i read of people getting disconnected. Believe me the 1gb a day scenario is gonna change fairly lively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I think I'm being throttled. I use torrents(vuze) regurarly without too much hassle, but I have no upload.
    Currently I'm trying to upload big files onto a web site (photos) and I can't. Is there anything I can do?
    Considering you can't really use torrents on NTL
    ... and whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

cast_iron wrote: »
    NTL are one of the few companies that seem to use traffic shaping, making torrents almost impossible. And before you ask, there appears to be no way around it.:)

I'm sure this would work.

Rent space in a Data centre on Fibre (Dublin, not USA)
    Run your torrents there.
    Use VPN to connect to your datacentre hosted PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

downloading torrents for me is no problem... uploading is the difficult part. I just restarted my router and uploaded 60mb of stuff to a web server at 40kb/s

Now I'm on torrents and a popular torrent is only being uploaded at 2bytes/s... crazy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement