Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on a Jaguar 2.5 V6 Sport Auto

Options
  • 31-10-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Jaguar X - Type 2.5 V6 Sport Auto

Has any of you out there got any knowledge,comments or experience of this type of car. I am thinking of buyiny one and would welcome any advice you may have. I assume that it would be fairly heavy on the miracle. Comments please !!!:confused:

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, it's pretty much an old Mondeo in a nicer skirt. Mondeos of that era were generally said to be a very good drive - personally, I could never see why.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2.5 V6 and 4 wheel drive are both Jag unique.

Ford's 2.5 V6 was a Mazda unit afaik. Chassis is Mondeo based, which is a good thing.

Nice cars, but not huge inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Looks sleek and you cant go wrong wit a 2.5 V6 under the bonnet ;) Its a nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Looks sleek and you cant go wrong wit a 2.5 V6 under the bonnet ;) Its a nice car.
    A bit off topic but why not go for the S type? They depreciate like a brick and look miles better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

S-types at this stage are very cheap to pick up also, I would have to agree with the post above. I also think they look far better. My father nearly bought a 3.0L V6 a few years ago, I thought it was beautiful. 240bhp also, can't go wrong!

What's your budget and how are with in terms of tax and insurance?

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I always fancied both types but I've understood them to be trouble. Is this true? If they're reasonably reliable, they're fantastic looking and fantastic value...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

These come in a relatively Irish friendly 2.0 V6 engine aswell dont they?

Probably a better choice for tax/ins/petrol if these are noteworthy & there is still plenty under the hood for our roads .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ford's 2.5 V6 was a Mazda unit afaik.
    The Duratec 2.5 V6 or Duratec 25 as it's officially known was a Ford developed engine, building on some initial development work by Porsche. This was the 'original' Duratec engine but after that a whole bunch of other engines, some co-developed, also went under the Duratec name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo_V6_engine

I had a Mondeo 2.5 V6 for 3 years and was very sorry to see it go, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Any mentions of unreliability is rubbish, my mother has had two S types so far - a 00 and a 03, with no trouble.
    Be wary of main dealer services though, they cost about a grand.
    Also, if you can afford the tax go for the 3.0l V6 rather than the 2.5L version, there's a huge huge difference in acceleration.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

C_Breeze wrote: »
    These come in a relatively Irish friendly 2.0 V6 engine aswell dont they?

Probably a better choice for tax/ins/petrol if these are noteworthy & there is still plenty under the hood for our roads .

2.0 V6 petrol is actually a 2.1 :mad:

2.0 diesel is sub 2 litre. Mondeo TDCI unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the x types humble underpinnings are no bad thing - those Mondeos were fab on the road.
    I would be less enthused about the 2.5 Duratec engine - I drove a Cougar with it and well to be honest it was no fireball and liked a sip of the good stuff too!

I would buy an S-Type (post facelift if possible) - a stunner even if a certain mr clarkson thinks its crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

2.0 V6 petrol is actually a 2.1 :mad:

I don't think it's even a V6...

testicle wrote: »
    I don't think it's even a V6...

It's a V6 ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As others said, it's based on the previous Mondeo. Which is good. Then it has the 2.5 V6 and the 4WD. Which is pretty good. It looks like a Jaguar, which is also good :)

If it is a good buy all depends on the price, imho. If the seller is looking for money near or at the level of a similar specced BMW 3-series or Mercedes C-class, I wouldn't go for it. But chances are it is priced at about or a bit over the level of a high end Mondeo. In which case I'd say it's a good buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I knew someone who bought a 3.0 X-type with 90k on the clock. The tranfer box gave out within 6 months; stg£1000. Then he had an intermittent engine management issue which the dealer could not trace - car would go into limp home mode while at full tilt on the motorway.
    Possible he bought a lemon; he did get it dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

cjt156 wrote: »
    I knew someone who bought a 3.0 X-type with 90k on the clock. The tranfer box gave out within 6 months; stg£1000. Then he had an intermittent engine management issue which the dealer could not trace - car would go into limp home mode while at full tilt on the motorway.
    Possible he bought a lemon; he did get it dirt cheap.

The car is working out as follows :-

Cost £7600 or say €11340
    RAC Inspection £249 or €372
    John Flynn
    (Transport Home) €400
    VRT €6052

Total Cost Here €18165

It has 1 owner with a full Jaguar service history and the RAC report found nothing significant wrong with the car. There is 73000 miles on the clock.

What does anybody think of this price for a March 2003 model in good condition ?:confused:

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Chevy RV wrote: »
    The car is working out as follows :-

Cost £7600 or say €11340
    RAC Inspection £249 or €372
    John Flynn
    (Transport Home) €400
    VRT €6052

Total Cost Here €18165

It has 1 owner with a full Jaguar service history and the RAC report found nothing significant wrong with the car. There is 73000 miles on the clock.

What does anybody think of this price for a March 2003 model in good condition ?:confused:

Chevy RV

Well, what would an Irish 03 model cost? That would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Looks like a good price on the UK side; my mate got his 2001 for 8K with higher mileage last year. VRT is a sickener though.
    With that history & inspection it could be a good buy.

Advertisement