Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snake wants to eat owner - urban myth or not?

Options
  • 31-10-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi All,

Mods feel free to move this (or lock if you feel it's stupid altogether but I had to post it because this is annoying me).

Basically I was just wondering if anyone had heard this story about the girl in Dublin whose snake was starving itself in preparation to eat her and so the vet had it put down. The reason I ask is that I thought it was an urban myth but a girl in work swears blind that she knows the person it happened to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How did the vet know that the snake was starving itself for that exact purpose?

Did he ask the snake?:D
    Or maybe give it a questionnaire to fill in? :D

Rubbish ...possibly Halloween related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

peasant wrote: »

:D:D:D:D

That gave me a good laugh thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

peasant wrote: »

Rubbish ...possibly Halloween related

They had a formal interview and between the vet and the owner they did a bit of a good cop bad cop routine and eventually the snake crumbled and confessed all, so they charged him with conspiracy to commit murder and he got the death sentence.

Nah there's more details to the story than what I've said but I didn't post the whole thing up as I didn't want to be the eejit that goes around starting urban legends, I just thought someone might recognise the general jist of the story and say if they'd heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I heard this story...

She would keep it in the bed with her and it would stretch itself out straight along the bed next to her... but apparently it turned out it was measuring itself next to her to see if it could eat her.

Yep... the story sounds a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It would have to be a very big snake to be even *contemplating* a human as prey.
    And if I had that big a snake, capable of swallowing me hole, I certainly wouldn't share my bed with it :D

• Advertisement

I heard it wasn't even a real snake... but a paedophile dressed up as a snake.

Urban myths are fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

& who the hell likes SNakes !!!!!???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I am friends with a young lady who swears she knows this girl.

I will do some dectiving tonight and see if she has any evidence. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

SDooM wrote: »
    I am friends with a young lady who swears she knows this girl.

I will do some dectiving tonight and see if she has any evidence. :)

and when did your friend say it happened? Cos I was told it happened just last week but I've been told since that other people heard it way before then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sounds like someone actually killed said snake by accident and madeup some rubbish to hide it. By the way, peasant, what are you doing out of the motors forum? I thought we had caged you in by now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I heard the snake got her to sign the house over to him in her will. Its dead common in america these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Wow, our friends must know each other so, I heard exactly the same thing. I was like, um, sure.... She also swore blind that she knew the person it happened to, she must be really popular with all these friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

No way! My boyfriend told me this story, apparently happened to his friend's girlfriend's sister's friend (no joke).

I must make up something like this and spread it around. Maybe I'll start telling people I have a man-eating donkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

Sorry but total crap,I wouldn't even think a snake would have
    the intelligence to think that far ahead.If the snake
    was not eating,it would be likely because it was stressed.Maybe because
    the stupid cow was sleeping with it lol.

Heard the story again today from a completely different person... it's amazing how quickly these things spread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Oh yeah, I heard this one last week from a girl I was working with who swore it was one of her friends who was in line for a scaly demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't even want to know why the snake would be in the bed...was Ann Summers out of vibrators?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarahpulls

i heard this story yesterday from someone who said it was a friend of their cousin who it happened to. i thought it was interesting but when i went to tell someone else they said that they already heard that story and that it was someone who works with their friends sister...this must either happen often with the exact same details or people just feel the need to share the story by always connecting it to someone they barely know through like 3 different people.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Complete and utter rubbish - do the Snopes test, people!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Complete and utter rubbish - do the Snopes test, people!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

I don't think anyone here actually believed it. Also we were debunking it here well before that Snopes article was even written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

A friend of mine told me a few years ago his cusin or someone he knew had a snake. After been out to the pub he came back and fed the snake or moved something in the tank, and sat watching tv and had more to drink. He fell asleep and woke up to find the snake trying to eat his leg.

He swore it was true!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Again, not very likely. A snake is very vulnerable while it is eating, so it's hardly likely to start trying to eat something that hasn't been killed by constriction, or at least severely debilitated.

Your cousin is either very gullible or reckons you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Heard this one.
    No-one actually knows the girl though.
    Its always:

mate of a mate
    mate's cousin
    cousin's mate
    guy your brother went to school withs sister...

Myth, Busted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

urban myth.

snake wouldnt waste its energy.

huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Al C

Total Myth!!!!! And one that perticularly annoys me...

At this stage i've heard it from about 7 or 8 different sourses, all swearing that it happened to a friend of a friend of theirs and that their verion really was true! :eek:

Eh, no its not true. Utter bull actually, and i get a great kick out of telling each new story teller about all the preceding tellers of vertually the same story who said their version really was true too!!!

And if they insist that their version is genuine, i'll explain, in more detail than they want, exactly why its ALL JUST A MYTH, and isn't possible...

I should know, i've got a python.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Anyone ever contemplated what size it would have to be to be able to swallow an adult human ? It'd be a very unmanageable pet to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mokbel

Not a good first post on boards.

Consider this a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

nc13 wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me a few years ago his cusin or someone he knew had a snake. After been out to the pub he came back and fed the snake or moved something in the tank, and sat watching tv and had more to drink. He fell asleep and woke up to find the snake trying to eat his leg.

He swore it was true!
    Granted I don't know much about snakes, but I do know that they generally start at the head and work down. What would it have done, I wonder, when it got to his crotch and still had another let plus his torso contend with.

I heard this story in Spain in Spanish whilst living in Madrid 2 years ago. Its a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Frisbee wrote: »
    Heard this one.
    No-one actually knows the girl though.
    Its always:

mate of a mate
    mate's cousin
    cousin's mate
    guy your brother went to school withs sister...

Myth, Busted
    thats pretty much the criteria for all myths.

/Edit: just noticed you posted that 2 years ago... still true though

Advertisement