Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting your own hair.

• 31-10-2007 11:59am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone do it? Is there a particular trimmer which is best?

I get a no.1 blade every few weeks currently and reckon DIY would be a better option.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Anyone do it? Is there a particular trimmer which is best?

I get a no.1 blade every few weeks currently and reckon DIY would be a better option.

Any thoughts?

Do it all the time with what little I have, any bog standard trimmer will do. Now off to fashion and appearance with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

I used to fly through the poxy things...Wahl, Babyliss, Remington...all piles of crap.

Then one fine day about 4 or 5 years ago I bought a Philips one like this (my version isn't around any more) and its still going strong.

The other brands seem to do simlar ones now though so maybe they've caught up.
    They need no oiling or fiddling and always just work.

I only ever use it without any blade though so I can't tell you how good it is with blades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

extrat011.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This one looks good. Specifically designed for DIY use. A lunchtime purchase looks likely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Someone should post the results of doing their own hair.. lets see some pics. Have thought about it myself, not just to save money but because i tend to not get the time or am too lazy to get my hair cut. As a result it gets all crazy for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ive been cutting my own hair for years now, i dont be in the humour to walk to the barbers and i can save money too

Saruman wrote: »
    Someone should post the results of doing their own hair.. lets see some pics. Have thought about it myself, not just to save money but because i tend to not get the time or am too lazy to get my hair cut. As a result it gets all crazy for a few months.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54009310&postcount=1
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Also been shaving my head for a good 10 years or so. I use a Babyliss rechargable. Never bothered with any of the blade settings, just use it at it's shortest cutting length.

The first time you shave, you might want someone to check around the back for missed spots. After that though, if you shave regularly enough, any missed spots won't be noticable (depending on length and colour).

Don't forget to shave the neck once in a while too. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

Conar wrote: »
    I used to fly through the poxy things...Wahl, Babyliss, Remington...all piles of crap.

Then one fine day about 4 or 5 years ago I bought a Philips one like this (my version isn't around any more) and its still going strong.

I only ever use it without any blade though so I can't tell you how good it is with blades.

Second this recommendation. It's a great razor, both with and w/o blades. Got this 2 years ago and is still going strong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

Saruman wrote: »

I've been doing it for well over 10 years now.
    I'm actually so lazy that I just give my face and head a zero all round, then give my face a go over between cuts too :D
    It's very easy once you've done it a few times.
    When you don't use any blades its easy to know if you've missed a bit cos if you feel anything other than stubble then you know you missed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

We used to do it in school either for yourself or males. We all had flat-top crewcuts.

About 4 years ago a colleague of mine wanted to go to the barber for a short hair cut. I offered to do it as I thought it's like cycling...once you did it you'll never forget how to do it....well....my mistake! :D

I cut his hair and the result was that he stormed into his office to get one of these woollen caps/hats and pulled it far down over his head ready to go to a 'real' barber. At the same time our other colleague came and was asking how it went. Cap comes off and serious breakdown of etiquette followed. I couldn't stop laughing myself but it was just so...weird.

I maintain to this day that something was wrong with the clipper. I mean it was an easy enough job with the clippers but he insisted he wanted the second or third lowest setting...wtf? Anyway, it looked like a freshly mown lawn but with bits of shrubbery sticking out here and there.

He came back with a nice no. 1 all round. Apparently he was too embarrassed to tell the barber that he let a colleague cut his hair. He told him he was the victim of a prank! The cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I use a babyliss set I got in Argos. It's not great, the attachment thingies are just **** for some reason not as good as the cheapo babyliss set I got in Spain. I'd almost say the wider the blade the worse it is for shaving your head. but it is handy being able to shave your head and face with just one blade.

Don't forget the back of the neck. If your not careful you could end up with the beginnings of a neck mullet. This part could require outside help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I use a remington with tungston blades so it doesn't hurt my delicate skin. it is also good for doing legs and armpits. I've never tried it on my back as I get that waxed regularly, along with my nuts:eek:

get a grip lads, you'll be discussing moisturiser next :D

by the way, I do mine with a remington rechargeable, in the back garden in my boxers so I don't have to clear up afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

With the grain and then against.

Oh and when you do Shave your neck, I like to use two mirrors facing each other with me in the middle, THEN you shave sideways but you have to flip your brain to go in the right direction as the mirrors will trick you. It's great fun.

Unless you get it wrong then it's really sore.

Barbers are expensive and will only try and give you a vidal sassoon mullet anyway.

Sakes.

Have we been invaded by the fashion forum? I thought this was BGRH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

/me wonders what BGRH is but carries on regardless, I'll look in a minute. ;).

I have a great sharp pair of scissors that I used to use when I went through a sewing mode, useless bit of info there!! I just snip my hair here and there nowadays, look in the mirror, panic, send a text to my brother-in-law who is a hairdresser to come save me because someone has been cutting my hair and left me looking a bit like a monk :D.

P.S. Hahahaha I've just looked and seen it's Beer Guts & Receding Hair, is this a male only thread btw lol.

is this a male only thread btw lol.
    Last time I looked we talked about beer and other related manly things. Hair cuts and the like were for the fashion forum wusses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've been using a cordless Remington HC-353 (now obsolete) with a ceramic top blade for a few years now, mighty yoke.
    Like FF, haircutting is done in the garden to save cleanup obligations.

I've also got a Heiniger Cattle Clipper(370KB pdf), but have yet to work up the nerve to use it on myself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have we been invaded by the fashion forum? I thought this was BGRH?

My thoughts exactly.

Besides, real men use Veet. Slap it onto your head, wait five minutes and into the shower with ya.

Much less hassle.

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

Besides, real men use Veet. Slap it onto your head, wait five minutes and into the shower with ya.

Much less hassle.

:D
    Time to retire this one methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

My thoughts exactly.

Much less hassle.
    Veet? :eek: Veet? :eek:

Brother Tom, as a mod of this forum you should know better.
    This thread has plumbed the depths now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A jaysus Tom - don't be encouraging them.

Here's your coat...
    Coat.jpg

And there's the door...
    Beech_Veneer_Door.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

smashey wrote: »
    Isn't that some sort of insect repellent?

Anyhow, don't real men wax their heads?

...with a polythene bin liner and a blowtorch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sodric

use a beard trimmer, better for DIY as easier to cut back etc....only cost feck all too

smashey wrote: »

Brother Tom, as a mod of this forum you should know better.
    This thread has plumbed the depths now.

I still look better than you, though.

I'm going to stop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I still look better than you, though.

I'm going to stop now.
    Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I shave my own hair usually a no.2 all round because I got tired of waiting in the barbers.

I haven't had a proper hair cut in about 15 years! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I took the plunge! :D

Bought a Phillips yoke and gave myself a very decent no. 1 blade haircut.

Didn't take too long :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I cut my own hair sometimes. with a scissors though. and veet? please---its immac boys, immac. at least keep it old skool

Why has this sh1te not been moved to Fashion and Appearance, or LGB?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Why has this sh1te not been moved to Fashion and Appearance, or LGB?

I think Tom is letting it run to see how far into metrosexuality it will descend, can't see the point TBH, but there you go

I cut my own hair sometimes. with a scissors though. and veet? please---its immac boys, immac. at least keep it old skool

Ok, now this thread has crossed a line.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement