Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance flight boredom

Options
  • 31-10-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Heading to Beijing next week for a holiday, flying EI to Amersterdam then KLM/China Southern to Beijing. What do people do to combat the boredom? I love flying but havnt been on more then an hours flight since I was a kid, will I get bored of books and MP3 player in an hour? What do ye do for amusement on board? No idea what the entertainment is going to be like with China Southern or KLM, would there be seatback screens to play with?

Any idea what aircraft types they use on those routes? Never been on a 777 or A340 hope its one of them...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Chine Southern operate the B777 to Amsterdam....

Sleep. If at all possible. I hate long flights...the boredom is terrible!!

They probably do have decent enough entertainment.

You should have gone via FRA. The flight to Beijing would be around 90 minutes shorter!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sleep, read/watch films, work. That's about it.
    Move around the cabin occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

The reading and mp3 player business get's old after the 3rd hour, so unless your sitting beside someone attractive/interesting then I sudjest you get drunk and pass out. Works for me every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah i know the FRA flights shorter but I saved a few hundred so I'll have to make do :)

Yeah I spose a good book and a few vodka and cokes should knock me out. Looking forward to the 777 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Go get a PSP or something. You can play games, watch movies/tv episodes etc.
    I know someone who swears by 2 red wines and some nytol. Not sure if you can get it in Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nytol
    I like the fact you should not take with alcohol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hellm0 wrote: »
    The reading and mp3 player business get's old after the 3rd hour, so unless your sitting beside someone attractive/interesting then I sudjest you get drunk and pass out. Works for me every time!

Remember sitting beside very nice Brazillian lady on 5.5 hour flight :D
    It was the fastest flight of my life :D
    and a million times better than stuck beside overweight welsh man on flight from Auckland to LAX :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Mile high FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

sleep / read / sleep.....

Two things are always true on long hauls in ' the back '

a) They are uncomfortable.
    b) You are glad to get off them

Where are you going to in China ?

You will find it one amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Going next Monday :D

A week in Beijing then a week in Urumqi up in the western corner of China. Cannot wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

No easy answer to this one, not a fan of boozing on a flight - make up for it at the other end :D

Ipod, read and sleep. Go walkabout as often as you can. At least the 777 has a roomy cabin.

If you don't smoke it ain't half as bad either...

• Advertisement
Advertisement