Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3: How good as a Bluray Player

• 31-10-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

All in the title really. Is it as good a player as it is being made out to be?

The PS2 was terrible as a DVD player TBH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I got one solely as a BD player as it was the cheapest option at the time. BD looks very good indeed, but BD players are falling in price big time and we are seeing increasing quality and features for the money. I don't like the game controller as a remote. My upscaling DVD player does a better job for standard DVDs and gives way better sound (I'm looking into this at the moment might be my problem). But PS3 is definitely the best value...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

You can buy a remote for the PS3 for €25

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I understand that its probably the best BD player out there for the money and pretty good at upscaling standard DVD's too.

I wouldn't get a PS3 just for BD though. I'd sooner get a XBox360 + HD-DVD add-on. My money is on HD-DVD to "win" the format war at the moment for various reasons, not least of which is that its the cheapest. In a year or two there should be hopefully be affordable dual format players, which is probably the way it will all end up anyway. I don't think there will be an outright winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

shayser wrote: »
    I got one solely as a BD player as it was the cheapest option at the time. BD looks very good indeed, but BD players are falling in price big time and we are seeing increasing quality and features for the money. I don't like the game controller as a remote. My upscaling DVD player does a better job for standard DVDs and gives way better sound (I'm looking into this at the moment might be my problem). But PS3 is definitely the best value...

Have you set the PS3 to upscale DVDs in the BD/DVD settings screen? DVDs went from looking like total ass on my 32" screen to looking very nice indeed when I switched that to fullscreen.

Can't comment on the Blu-ray playback, or your sound issue though...

All in all I'm happy with it as a media player, but fairly disappointed with it as a console.

The remotes are nice and cheap on play.com or Argos, mine hasn't arrived yet but they seem to be well worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

Saw BluRay running in the Sony building in Tokyo this year and I have to say that the quality was amazing. The amount of information on screen was incredible. I really was impressed and to be honest real life looked a little miserable after seeing the TV's.

However this is in the Sony building and everything there is the absolute best that they have. So I am not sure what it would be like if any part of the system - disc, movie, player, cables or TV were not all of the absolute best quality available. If you wanted to get the best then I imagine that you would need the best of everything.

By the way I'm nothing to do with Sony and don't own a Sony due to the region locking policy on their players. They build great stuff but I travel abroad a lot so like all my kit to be region free so I can buy DVD's from anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

That's one of the great things about HD-DVD - they are region free, so you can buy from the States. Exchange rate is pretty great at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

tman wrote: »
    Have you set the PS3 to upscale DVDs in the BD/DVD settings screen? DVDs went from looking like total ass on my 32" screen to looking very nice indeed when I switched that to fullscreen.

Can't comment on the Blu-ray playback, or your sound issue though...

All in all I'm happy with it as a media player, but fairly disappointed with it as a console.

The remotes are nice and cheap on play.com or Argos, mine hasn't arrived yet but they seem to be well worth the money
    It is a good upscaler but the Oppo 981 does this particular job better. Got my sound issue sorted. A severe case of RTFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Casey711

I have a PS3 hooked up to a Themescene HD80 Projector (1080p) via a NAD Master Series Processor and onto a 2m wide screen, i have to say the picture is very good indeed, even on such a big screen images are clear and motion is handled very well, I have no complaints for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

martin1016 wrote: »
    Saw BluRay running in the Sony building in
    By the way I'm nothing to do with Sony and don't own a Sony due to the region locking policy on their players. They build great stuff but I travel abroad a lot so like all my kit to be region free so I can buy DVD's from anywhere.

A number of Bluray movies are multi region, there are lists of them on line.

Though HDDVD is appealing due to it having Transformers!!!

Advertisement