Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvas Prints

• 31-10-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to get three canvas prints done, one for each of my kids. Have the images selected, just wondering where to get them done. I use Photobox for normal prints, but they're pretty pricey when it comes to canvas. I have an offer code (CH5T19) for www.canvasrus.co.uk which gives 15% off the price of the prints, but I've never heard of this crowd - anyone had any experience of dealing with them or any idea what the prints are like?

Also, one of the images I have selected is slightly blurred (see here). Is this likely to be an issue on a 20x16 inch canvas print?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭isadub

I've used Reads (off Nassau St, Dublin) before and I've been happy with the results. They're pretty cheap but you'll struggle to get served within 20mins :mad: .

Re the blurred photo, my guess is that it won't look too bad because canvas is pretty granular. If you go to Reads, ignore the counter staff and talk to the designers - they'll probably know the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Have you tried Aldi.ie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thanks lads, I think I'll try Reads, there's one close to me in Sandyford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I was looking for some in the past and i found a guy on ebay which worked out much cheaper than anyone else...

does he have a name?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have just used these guys recently http://www.thecanvasworks.ie/ I would recommend them. They may not be the cheapest but the quality was very good. I posted a picture in one of the older threads here on canvas prints.

Edit: heres a link to that thread. http://89.234.66.107/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055161673&highlight=canvas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've used geometrics in ballsbridge, have been happy with the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Dont go for photobox anyway, very pricey and the quality left a lot to be desired.

Just back from Reads, where I ordered 3 16X12 prints @ 55 euros each. They'll be ready on Monday (so they said), but the samples they had in the shop looked quite good.
    Photobox are shockingly expensive compared to a lot of local suppliers for Canvas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ouch. geometrics charged about €20 per print, about halfway between A4 and A3, and wrapped onto board (they were printed to A3, and wrapped and glued onto a smaller board). this was about three years ago, though.

• Advertisement

hehe, I was delighted with 55 a go! Everywhere else I checked was at least 80, though I have to admit I didn't check geometrics - they don't appear to have a web site and I'm too lazy to check in a phonebook :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Hi Cambo, just wondering did you pick up your prints from Reads and what the finished quality was like?
    Also did you need to have them on a specific media type? I've a few I want to print off, first is off an old passport strip of 4 pics, would like them all the one print, maybe 8X32 or something.
    Got a few more on sd cards which I'd imagine is not a problem.

Not sure if they could pull a decent enlargement off the passport pics though.

cheers

I meant to reply to this last week. Yes, I picked them up last Monday afternoon, after ordering them the previous Friday lunchtime. Was very impressed, I didn't expect them to turn out half as nice as they did, although to be honest I had no prior experience on which to base this expectation!

I brought the images into the shop on a USB memory stick, the images were saved as JPGs and TIFFs - I asked the guy to use the TIFFs to print if possible, but I'm not sure what they used in the end.

The only thing about their service is that they have (what seems to me anyway) a pretty odd selection of sizes. Their sizes and prices are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Too late coming to this one but for others that may be interested, and if willing to use an online service - i have used www.updone.com before and am very pleased with the result (no prior point of reference though).

For a 12x16 you are talking approx $19.24 (yes dollars - good time to buy with euros the way it is!) - Extra for delivery (can't remember what it actually cost for that but i don't think it doubled it).

Their user interface is a bit unweildly but worth struggling with it for a low cost high quality canvas print. Image quality was good. Inks used gave clear and vibrant colours.

Cheaper options again if you are DIY capable and want/are willing to assemble the frame yourself.

Their service is reliable too - i found delivery to be about a week of a wait and package drop off by FedEx was used.

Full pricing on http://www.updone.com/ud/prices.html They actually price by the sq foot measurement of the resulting print which i haven't come across before but they do show lots of standard print sizes as options.

Overall, I was very happy and hope to use them again. In fact now is probably a good time with the $ value. Cheers.

never too late with prices like that! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Besides United States, we ship to 23 countries, using FedEx Express, 2 Business Days services. The destination countries are listed as follows, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and United Kingdom. Our shipping costs and policy are the same for all listed countries above. For each order, the shipping cost is $5.95 more than the cost to ship to the United States. Customers from all other countries or who need to ship products to destination countries other than above listed, please ask our sales person before placing an order.

Not bad...

Not bad indeed! I wish I'd known about this last week, coulda saved myself a good few bob. I just ordered a pic for the missus - 18x12 framed and the total price was $34.75 which works out about 24 Euros.

Just hope she likes pictures of herself :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks for the updone website, CLASS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For each order, the shipping cost is $5.95 more than the cost to ship to the United States. Customers from all other countries or who need to ship products to destination countries other than above listed, please ask our sales person before placing an order.

What's the price of shipping to the US?

From what i recall, the cost of shipping will get calculated automatically in the shopping cart (before you commit to buy) - it appears to depend on the size of print which i guess is reasonable enough. I suspect it also depends if it is assembled or if you choose to self-assemble (they show a video on site how its done but heck i wasn't into stretching the canvas myself - cost reduction or not!). Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Harvey Norman does this.

i was in harvey normans in blanchardstown a while back, asking about a 20"x20" print; can't say i was too impressed with the knowledge the guy showed, though to be fair, they're probably used to dealing with people wanting small prints.

Here's the cost breakdown of an 18x12 framed print from updone, ordered earlier today:

Order Subtotal: $21.64
    Shipping & Handling: $13.10
    Order Total: $34.74

If the quality is as good as AnCatDubh says, it would be a sin not to get prints done there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Here's the cost breakdown of an 18x12 framed print from updone, ordered earlier today:

Order Subtotal: $21.64
    Shipping & Handling: $13.10
    Order Total: $34.74

If the quality is as good as AnCatDubh says, it would be a sin not to get prints done there!
    damn they're good prices! let us know what the qualities like when you get them? :)

got in touch with Reads, so be calling into on Saturday with the old pics.

cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

I can do canvas printing upto 30*20 inches

Although i wont be the cheapest, as i use top quality media and am not geared up to do large volumes

but my benefit is that i have custom profiles and can show you the stuff here and retouch etc if need, and I guess could actually do the print while you are here

Oh btw i am based out in foxrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Just on this topic, is it best to figure out what dimensions you want and crop your photo manually before handing it to the printers? Presumably they end up stretching to fit the proper aspect ratio.. not something I'd want.

if you were using the updone.com online site discussed earlier - then it only allows you specify one dimension and it will work out the other. Kinda handy that is. I trust that this is because they won't stretch an image onto the canvas which would distort. Not sure how others handle it - or whether you are required to ensure ratios are accurate before uploading. I did some poster prints with a different online service and i needed to do a ratio correction prior to upload however i ended up with a centimeter or so of white space which kinda banjaxed me framing effort. There was obviously a difference between my crop software and their print production software. Anyhow - sorry if this is a long story but hope it helps. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Ordered a 16x12 off updone today.. did you receive yours yet? quality ok?

probably a few days yet before cambo receives the finished product. It will be interesting though to see how the quality stacks up against those purchased locally by cambo. I hope yours turn out just fine. regards.

• Advertisement

Right, ordered on the 14/11, dispatched yesterday, 18/11 using UPS. Tracking Here. I already have another image lined up and ready to order if this one turns out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭waldo

Let us know if you get stung for import duties since its being sent by UPS?

waldo wrote: »

I doubt they will bother - including p&p it only comes to about EUR23, but will let you know anyway

interesting, this seems to have been outsourced to China, judging from the tracking information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

waldo wrote: »

AFAIK only goods of a value including delivery of over 30 euro are taxed by customs, under 30 are excempt
    not sure what a canvas print will qualify as, will it be "art"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

quilmore wrote: »
    AFAIK only goods of a value including delivery of over 30 euro are taxed by customs, under 30 are excempt
    not sure what a canvas print will qualify as, will it be "art"?

Oh no, I ordered 2 prints on Fri totalling €56. God knows how much I'll owe? :( I'll only be ordering one at a time now.

• Advertisement

interesting, this seems to have been outsourced to China, judging from the tracking information

yup - uploaded from Ireland to a company and paid for in new york, printed in china and delivered to Ireland by UPS or FedEx - thats how local the internet is for ya

Re: the customs thing - I didn't have any customs to pay with mine - i suspect the value may be so small as for them to not worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

I am thinking about getting an image printed on canvas but I am trying to work out the dimensions. Does the size include the outside edge of the canvas? I would like my image to wrap around but I am not sure if I need to size it larger to do this.

i.e. If I want a 20"x20" print does that include the outside edge or do I need to size it to 21"x21"?

Thanks

if you go to updone.com and upload your image, it will tell you what size you need - it's hard to explain, but it's really simple when you see it on the screen.

In other news, UPS, who are delivering my print, could not find my house yesterday - incomplete address or some other excuse, so they are sending me a postcard to get me to contact them to verify my address. They are sending the postcard to the imcomplete address....honestly
    Tracking Number:

1ZV5Y7470452952430
    Exception Reason:

A CORRECT STREET NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION
    Exception Status/Resolution:

A POSTCARD HAS BEEN SENT TO THE RECIPIENT REQUESTING THAT THEY CONTACT UPS. (STATUS)

Shipment Detail

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

Placed my order with upDone. The interface is fairly self explanatory, gave me a choice of blank on the edge or wrap the picture (shows you guidelines of where th folds will be). Overall pretty easy.

Let us know what yours looks like when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

Got my 2 prints yesterday. Really pleased with result. Def ordering again but..... got stung €30 for custom tax :eek: Quilmore is right.

• Advertisement

Mine arrived on Friday - total value wasn't even marked on the package, so no extra money to be paid. It only came to 24 quid anyway, so I doubt I would've had to pay anything.

Product-wise, I'm absolutey delighted with it. The quality of the print is great, they've used a hardwood frame and the stretching and stapling is top-notch, way better than what I got in Reads, which cost over 30 quid more per print. Packaging was top quality too.

All-in-all, I would thoroughly recommend updone.com and tanks to AnCatDubh for 'finding' them!

woooo hooooooo - yip, glad it wasn't just me that thought they were great. With the little bit of a stirr it caused (a few people indicating that they were going to try it out), i began to hope that i hadn't built up expectations too much for people. I'm delighted they've worked out well for you. Did your good lady like herself on canvas ???? Cheers.

She did indeed, although she did insist on hanging it upstairs so people wouldn't think she was so vain as to hang an 18x12 of herself over the efireplace of somesuch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Was looking for canvas prints myself and came across this thread. I ordered mine on Monday and it arrived via UPS on THURSDAY. Great quality and no duty to pay (total price around €23). Equivalent priced last week at €56 locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Can I ask, do folk find that certain shots lend themselves to being printed on canvas more than others? Does it work better for B&W? Or doesn't it make too much difference? Is the canvas printing process somewhat forgiving to a soft shot, and such like?

Thanks in advance!

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Just ordered one there today,hopefully it will meet my expectations as everyone else seems happy with theirs! Any way someone could take a photo of the finished article for us to have a gander at? Or would that be a waste of time...?

trooney wrote: »
    Can I ask, do folk find that certain shots lend themselves to being printed on canvas more than others? Does it work better for B&W? Or doesn't it make too much difference? Is the canvas printing process somewhat forgiving to a soft shot, and such like?

Can't say with any degree of authority on the subject so i am open to correction but a canvas print hasn't the same degree of clarity as a gloss or matte/luster finish on normal photo paper so it appears to be more forgiving to my eye. Canvas itself though is a rather special material which has a certain wow factor when printed on - particularly in large format. I've only done colour at this point - i am working on a composite of some old picture scans for Christmas which will be sepia based so i hope they will be ok too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you do have to be careful what you print on canvas

some shot just dont look right

because of the texture of the canvas, shots that heavy ammounts of detail, just wont look right.

majiktripp wrote: »
    Just ordered one there today,hopefully it will meet my expectations as everyone else seems happy with theirs! Any way someone could take a photo of the finished article for us to have a gander at? Or would that be a waste of time...?

here's what I got - forgive the quality, it's from my phone. The frame is about 1 inch deep and the print is wrapped right around it, so you don't have white borders around the sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I ordered a print from updone 2 weeks ago, got it blown up to approx. 24x16. The original photo was professional quality and a very large file, so no problems with quality. When I got the print I was delighted with the quality - the detail and colours are fantastic. Got it delivered to the office so the rest had a good gawk, and every one of them is saying they're going to get prints done too!

Superb value - my total was €27.56 incl shipping, so no customs charge either.

One very satisfied customer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement