Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvas Prints

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

guys

i got 3 photos done with updone and was well impressed, they arrived about 2 weeks ago.

anyway i unwrapped them again today to do the whole xmas wrapping thing and basically i found mould on them. I kept them in the original wrapping and in an air conditioned office so its a Little cool in hear but they didn't get wet.

anyone any idea on how to clean them off coz the chances of getting them done again for xmas are slim.

just went on to their live chat function and they asked me to take a photo of the damage and sent it to them.

even if they replace them i probably wont receive them before the holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

oh dear - sorry to hear that dade. A bit of a bummer. With mine i also left it in the original packaging for a little over week before giving it to the intended recipient. It was just at normal room temperature - hot/cold of a normal house. But i didn't have any problem with mold. Unfortunately, i can't offer guidance as to what to do, but would suggest you keep in contact with updone - they may have a recommendation. General cleaning of canvas is usually in 2 stages (a) kill the fungus and (b) remove any resulting stains - but the remedies I've seen on removing the stains (not for picture canvas i might add) involves bleaching it - yikes! Obviously not recommended. I do hope it works out for you. You might post an update as to how they look after you.

Anyone else have similar difficulties to report?

Don't know if the following will help - taken from http://www.preservationhelp.com/how_to.htm#Mold
    If your photographs have already been afflicted by mold or mildew:

Get them dry as soon as possible (moldy items are high priority!). This stuff grows fast!
    Protect yourself with a face mask with a carbon filter (mold spores are very small and may penetrate regular dust masks). Some people are allergic to mold.
    Outside, away from other papers, photos etc, remove the surface mold with a very soft, clean brush. Don’t let the mold dust get on anything else or later, when the humidity rises, the mold spores that have settled will grow again.
    If there is a residue on the surface of the photo, take a cotton swab and wipe the surface with isopropyl alcohol. This should remove the mold and may even kill some of it.

The more severe the problem the more you will need professional help. The older the photo, the more urgent you will need a specialized professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Got the first delivery of a canvas from updone today (ordered on 3rd Dec) and although the print quality is excellent, the stretching wasn't quite as tight as it should be but I can live with that. I'll see how the next couple are but based on this first one, I think I'll be changing to updone for all future requirements,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Woop sounds good. Sorry to hear about your mould problem dade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

alleepally wrote:
    Got the first delivery of a canvas from updone today (ordered on 3rd Dec)

I've ordered on the 29/11 and I haven't received them yet! :( (UPS's tracking says they are on their way anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Was on to updone and they asked for photos of the damage. sent the photos off at 9 this morning and by lunch time they agreed to redo the pictures. Granted i probably wont have them for Christmas. but I'll explain to the person what happened. the wood from the frame was probably damp or something.

thanks to those that offered solutions to repairing them, i may try them anyway just so i have something to hand over com Christmas day.

I've just been on to them too. I ordered last Saturday and it should be shipped by next Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get it Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭waldo

I also got a test print done, fully assembled. Ordered on Nov 27th and only arrived today, but I can get over that.

The print was also a little loose - it seems that the wood in the factory in China was a good deal bigger than room temp in Ireland, hence the shrinkage of the wood relative to the canvas.

I'd get future work done by them but would order the self assembly option - its cheaper and allows me to smooth the edges of the wood before I assemble the canavs. The wood used is cheap wood with sharp edges which can crease the canvas. Other than that the print quality/colour was accurate.

does anyone has a phone number for UPS?
    my canvas from updone are in Dublin but UPS is saying:
    THE RECEIVER IS NOT LISTED ON THE BUILDING DIRECTORY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THE INFORMATION AND COMPLETE DELIVERY

on the contact us page on the UPS site is the number 1800575757 but it's not working for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

quilmore wrote: »
    does anyone has a phone number for UPS?
    my canvas from updone are in Dublin but UPS is saying:
    THE RECEIVER IS NOT LISTED ON THE BUILDING DIRECTORY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THE INFORMATION AND COMPLETE DELIVERY

on the contact us page on the UPS site is the number 1800575757 but it's not working for me

01-4912447 is also listed on their site. I had to ring them once to pass over my number to the courier, but the CS agent wouldn't take it, telling me in an almost incredulous tone, "they don't ring you" after a failed delivery attempt. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

I've ordered on the 29/11 and I haven't received them yet! :( (UPS's tracking says they are on their way anyway)

I ordered on 1st December and haven't received them either.. don't have a tracking number - where did you find yours? Am really hoping it arrives in time for christmas... it's going to be my Mum's present!

itsmine wrote: »
    I ordered on 1st December and haven't received them either.. don't have a tracking number - where did you find yours? Am really hoping it arrives in time for christmas... it's going to be my Mum's present!

have a look at the order status link
    also, you can chat with them and ask (but I have to say nobody has been there for the last few days)

itsmine wrote: »
    I ordered on 1st December and haven't received them either.. don't have a tracking number - where did you find yours? Am really hoping it arrives in time for Christmas... it's going to be my Mum's present!

I'd agree with quilmore - check the order status and try make contact. Very obliging when you get through to them. I used their chat earlier in the week and contacted them fine. Allow for time difference - lunch time (Irish time) worked good for me. If their chat isn't answering, defo drop them an email and follow up with more attempts to chat. I hope it arrives on time for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 darkman7

:) Well it's finally arrived. I always feel it's good to give some feedback after commenting on a product and not just forget about the board once it arrives:

First off - I'm very happy, good value for money and it will do the job nicely.

For those looking for more detail, it is very good but there are quite a few difference between it and the one I got done with photo-canvas.com:

1) First off it has some slight cracking around the edges, only slight but it seems to be from the way the inks are applied.

2) As has been mentioned the canvas isn't very tight, in fact it's quite loose but you could probably tighten that a bit yourself or as has been suggested get the self assembly option.

3) One thing that was pointed out to me about the quality of the photo-canvas.com ones was that the front is beveled (probably not the right term) slightly like a picture frame so the front of the picture doesn't actually touch the frame except at the very edge. The updone frames are flat and consequently you can see the frame through it. Again good placing, lighting or a bit of tightening should help this.

That said for 50 Euro in price difference I think the updone ones compare very well and I'd definatly be ordering again though I think I might try the self assembly this time.

Anyhow good luck to the rest of you and I hope they all arrive by the end of the week.

J:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the main problem with the sharp edges is as you said the ink cracks and stuff

the other problem is that the cracking will develop over time. and will shorten the lifespan massively of the print. which if its a gift for someone or you are selling it to someone wont do your reputation any good.

the beveled type ones are designed for that problem, as you will be aware the canvas will strech and contract with heat and cold, the bevel help that to happen in a controlled way, the sharp edge doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Updone.com canvas pre-assembled arrived today, 12 days after ordering.

Pro
    - Price is great (too great?)
    - Build is pretty good, tight canvas
    - Clarity, tones etc is good

Con
    - Cracking around the edges of the frame, in the ink
    - Rounded edges on the frame would help this, and add to the finish
    - What looks like glue-marks on the sides of the canvas, side of the frame

2101766202_eb58c5ba82_m.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the finish, the shot is above and lends itself very well to this kind of treatment, quite painterly. I still have a nagging feeling about using updone.com, it's the low price and the China factor I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

just tried to order from updone.

i'm not impressed. got throught to the checkout but it's looking for a zip code. i've tried NA, leaving it blank, IRL.. no luck.

spoke to 'sarah' who said oh well we must not ship to your country. i said that ireland is on their list of countries and some friends(u guys) have had stuff delivered.

she said 'I don't know then'

great customer service or what...

won't be using em

I just put in the digit 1 and it worked fine. J

• Advertisement

darkman7 wrote: »
    I just put in the digit 1 and it worked fine. J

Nice one darkman - I actually put their zip code on my account 'NY 10566' and it still got delivered - while they were helpful in sorting me out (by email rather than sarah), the problem is probably more to do with this darn country's lack of a structured postal address! In fairness, 14 the road, round the corner from mrs murphy's (who's suffering terrible with her back), dublin isn't the best national addressing scheme that their is in the world but this is Ireland!

Jubi lee - you are quite correct though. Zip codes are a very annoying issue. To be also fair, its not just updone. Many eBusiness sites that validate your zip code will drive you to distraction trying to find a compromise. Personally, i like those that allow you enter free text for a zip. I think it is worth persevering with though - most people are reporting great value being obtained (if even a few imperfections along the way).

If you are giving up on them you might want to consider stcstc who posts here. The chap (Steve i think) certainly knows what he's talking about and has been very helpful to others on here with assistance. I doubt if he'll have any difficulty with an Irish address too ;o) You'd never know he may even be able to organise something this side of Christmas :D

AnCatDubh

thanks for the kind words

I am away from Saturday, so if anyoe does want me to do stuff, i will need to do it before then.

but I sort of agree that the thing with zip code etc is a bit frustrating. but to for those guys to actually make a profit based on the price point they have to do everything they can to cut costs, so the whole processing of orders they will want to do with as little manual intervention at all.

but i am quite surprised that they even have that whole chat system, because that costs relatively a lot of money, and i can tell you their margins are very small. To keep their costs as low as possible they will have to of invested quite heavily in production machinery

the most expensive part of the canvas wrap is actually the wrapping, it take me 30 - 45 mins to wrap a 20*16, but there are some serious machines that can do it in less than 5-10. these things cost a serious amount of money.

anyway, hope that helps a little, and if your stuck i can help this week, and will give boards members a decent discount, but will stick cost more than updone as they work on volume and i dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

My 12x8 arrived today from Updone. 13 days from order to delivery. $20, which is less than Eur 14 at todays rate.

Mine had the same problems as others have mentioned - canvass needs to be stretched a bit more, slight cracking of the ink at the edges etc.

However, the print quality is very good and for what I paid this is EXCELLENT value for money and I will be going back for more, this time in bigger sizes. The small size I went for was to test the quality and overall I would highly recommend this service even bearing in mind the small flaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 melissa13

upDone has been giving me the runaround for a few weeks now. I ordered my print on 11/29 but have not received it as of today. I spoke to Trista over their Live Chat over a week ago and she told me she would overnight it for me that day. When I still hadn't received it a few days later I spoke to Sarah via Live Chat to "guaranteed" me it would be shipping by that Friday. It is now the following Wednesday and I have not received my print. I spoke to Sarah again via Live Chat to said it was "shipping this week". I reminded her of how she guaranteed me it was shipping by last Friday but she wouldn't even acknowledge it and just responded that it would ship this week. She has been less than helpful and doesn't seem to care at all that I have been waiting since 11/29 and have received multiple stories about my item. I also called the number on upDone's website only to reach an answering machine. I have left two messages so far requesting the status of my order and have not received a call back.

There seems to be something strange with this company, you cannot reach them via phone and the Live Chat is not always online. Customer service seems to tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off the line with no intentions of doing what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gmoses

I have been dealing with them for days and i agree with the previous post. They tell you whatever you want to hear with no real attempt at solving the issue. i was told in the same chat that they would overnight to me and have to me friday (which is not overnight) then ten minutes later she says i will not have it for friday because they will ship it tomorrow (after saying it will ship today) then telling me it will be 2 business days. apparently there boss is overseas and can not be reached only for that story to change minutes later when she said she emailed him and will hear from him later. something very shady about this compny. she claims there is only 2 people working there and they seem to have no real control over what gets done ... no surprise there. i would not recomend dealing with them it seems to be a lot of nonsense going on as i am chatting with sarah now and she keeps changing her story. buyer beware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

maybe they couldn't understand you :rolleyes: I gave up half way:eek:

• Advertisement

Recieved them this morning. Looking really good - I ordered a 40" x 28" and a 28"x20". Hopefully I'll have some fun assembling them over the weekend

Mon Dec 17 06:50:18 EST 2007
    The order was shipped.
    Its tracking number is www.ups.com ***************
    Mon Dec 17 02:42:51 EST 2007
    Payment $89.424995 was paid successfully. Order will be shipped soon.
    Sun Dec 09 21:42:33 EST 2007
    Payment $89.42 was held successfully. Order has been processed well so far. Thank you.
    Sun Dec 09 20:16:55 EST 2007
    Order items' availability has been checked. In three days, order will be shipped.
    Sat Dec 08 17:40:02 EST 2007
    Order has been placed, pending for process.

To be honest I'd say they are a small outfit that outsources their production and probably there helpline as well. From past experience with these types of chat you could well be dealing with several people all called "Sarah" who are paid minimum wage to keep things ticking over for lots of different organisations. Thats just my thought.

Anyhow I think it's a bit unfair to call it a scam seeing as so far the feedback from everyone here has been 100% good in the end. This is the silly season and they obviously have no idea how to set their webshop up to predict volumes, then again perhaps they don't care once they get the orders in. Personally I've found them to be comparable to most online companies at this time of year. I've just spent about 6K online for work and personal in the last two weeks and no-one is keeping to shipping or delivery scedules. Probably 1K worth of stuff won't arrive until the new year even though I was given delivery dates of the 20th.

Anyhow if I can offer one small hope it's that delivery appears to take 48 hours and if it ships by Friday morning you have a good chance of getting it on Christmas Eve.

If you are really stuck there has been an overly generous offer of a rush job from this very forum.

Anyhow I hope they all turn up in the end, J

KJT, excuse my ongoing curiousity but did you get charged any tax? J

Nope nothing, Although when I ordered I requested they be marked as a gift and <€50. I'll check the box later and see if it was marked on it if you wish :)

Just an update i spoke to Sarah on the phone and the other girl working there... there is only 2 people handling calls for that site and 2 other sites. she even explained to me that she is in a bad position because she has to repeatedly misinform the customers because she is getting wrong information from the company. I then mentioned that i would have to contanct the better business bureau and she actully said i should. I was quite surprised to hear that so i made sure to repeat it and yes she said i should contact them and that is very frustrating for her as well because her boss is in China now and no one is handling the business. I actually felt bd becuse she seemed so dissapointed that she is stuck in the middle. But in the end basically all they could do is email customer service for me which has not helped so far because they emailed her no actuall informtion in return.
    Just curious the poricing seems to be different for everyone...
    i ordered 20 by 23.8 canvs not assembled for $32.89
    and 30 by 25 for $46.61. I live in NJ, USA.

• Advertisement

The more prints you order the cheaper it is....also the size of prints.. so not so scammingly

darkman7 wrote: »
    KJT, excuse my ongoing curiousity but did you get charged any tax? J

I've received my 2 prints today (ordered 29/11)
    they are good, may be a bit loose but not very much, I can live with that

but, a big BUT, I could only receive them after paying €36 to UPS
    they charged me 20 for VAT (outrageous as the 2 18x12 prints with delivery only cost me 49 US dollars) and 16 euro for "accessorials"

Kjt i realize they say there is a discount for larger and more prints yet for some strange reason when i decided to order larger prints my initial discount went from $10 off to $2 off my order. and some one else wrote they paid less than i did for larger prints but when i priced out larger prints they were alot more. So i am just trying to get a hold on how the pricing works...
    Also after speaking to Sarah again there is no response from the customer service deprtment which the customer service in New York have to contact. so all those promises of over nighting the order is not going to happen for those who were promised it, atleast that what it appears for another night atleast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Ordered from Updone for the 2nd time. Came within a week but I got the print and the frame parts only-I put the frame together myself, but it is ready to be assembled anyway. This was done to keep the cost down. Up to Woodies and a Stanley Power Stapler at €24.99 did the trick and will do for future orders too. Quite what granny will think of a 2'X3' photo of the grand kids staring down at her every night is anybody's guess. I thought that by not getting the whole thing done at source I might come in under the tax threshold. Alas I was caught for €25. Still wat cheaper but bear this in mind. UPS appear to make it up a they go along and they NEVER ring ahead.

quilmore, the vat charge probably includes customs duty too, did they not give you a breakdown? They usually say you can get an invoice but you must contact their office and that takes ages. They are listed as art which should be exempt from either VAT or Duty, I can't remember which. There is nothing you can do about their handling fee except pre register the import with customs yourself and that can be a pain.

It would be well worth getting an invoice and then checking with customs as they are very helpful and will tell you exactly which rate you should be charged and how much.

J

I spoke to them again after repeated attemts from both sarah and the head of customer service that they will expedite my order and are sorry for the mess. and yet again i contacted them today, and was informed it has not shipped so when i asked why all i got what "i dont know". After trying to find out when it will be shipped they just left me on hold for half hour with no response. I am really trying to be understanding but now they tell me probably won't get it in time for the holidays either. Like i said before just beware because this may be the worst customer service i have faced when dealing with online shopping...and i shop a lot.
    any way happy holidays to all.

gmoses - sorry to hear of your predicament. You do appear to be fairly distinct in your experience in that you've had such severe difficulties in terms of production/delivery and such mixed communication (at least of everyone that's posted). I mean for most people that have posted it has worked out very satisfactorily - sometimes a little slow, sometimes a little loose fitting but basically (thus far) updone have worked out for most and brought great satisfaction to those that have received prints from them. I would have expected with them using a global courier service that it would be far more efficient for you in New Jersey than here in Ireland.

Here's a thought (a bit mad maybe but....) - would you like for the community here to do a little 'leaning' on them - i mean the boards community have been responsible for a fairly substantial amount of business over the past few weeks - if you'd like I'd happily point that out to them (in the nicest possible way :D ). Maybe they'd react / maybe they wouldn't but it can't do much harm though - If you do want then just 'pm' me your contact details, email etc... and i'll give it a whirl. No pressure though - just trying to be helpful.

(also btw - and for the record, I've no connection whatsoever with the company :) )

I hope it works out ok for you. Happy Christmas to you too!

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Got my 18x12 today. Waiting about 2 weeks. *Very* happy. Will use them again. No duty to pay either :-)

Just want to say thanks to AnCatDubh for the very kind thoughts and willingness to help. I do believe in these forums s a means to help each other find the best companies on the web. And yes it may seem like i am bitter but i just want a bit of honesty from them and thats all i kept asking. So i appreciate the help guys and really glad i found this message board.
    Happy Holidays!!

they claim it has been shipped yet i still wont receive my order until at least the 28 th. but they did apologize and tell me they will talk to their boss when he returns to the country in the next couple of weeks. just glad you all had a better time than i did. good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ordered a large print from updone about 2 weeks before Christmas after getting a smaller one done before and was well impressed. Large print came today, UPS man wouldn't hand it over til I paid the customs (€29) :mad: , but I'm well chuffed with the print.
    Got this photo done
    2119586511_39f1563492.jpg?v=0

Came out really well in the large format (40in x 30in approx). Will hopefully look great hung on the wall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Very nice photo, should look great on a wall, recently ordered a large print there to be shipped to my cousin in England so hopefully he wont get stung for VAT (although I lowered the customs value they were to declare)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Another thumbs up for updone here. Got two 26x20inch approx for about 68euro. Really pleased with them. For those ordering remember to sign up for an account first, otherwise there is no way to track it. And just declare a value of $20 or so when the website gives you the option - well I didnt get stung anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 image1960

You can not clean your canvas print unless protected with a laminate.
    Photocare in Lr. Abbey Street, print, laminate, and stretch 16x12" currently for €59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

thanks lads, I think I'll try Reads, there's one close to me in Sandyford.
    Where are Reads in Sandyford?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Where are Reads in Sandyford?

This may be them;

Reads Print,Design & Photocopying Bureau
    32 Sandyford Office Park
    Sandyford
    Dublin 18
    Phone: (01) 293 9983
    Fax: (01) 2930905
    Email: sandyford@reads.ie

store-locator.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

After reading everyone's experiences on this thread, I'm looking at ordering a 36"x24" preassembled canvas print off upDone.com in the next day or two. Quoted a price of $78.

Will let you know how I get on.

let me recommend not to have it preassembled
    timber frame needs to be sanded and edges rounded and canvas was not as tight as it should be, at least in my case

I'm about to order a couple and I'll ask for all materials cut to mesure but I'll have a go at it myself at assembling the frame streaching the canvas over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'll have a go at it myself at assembling the frame streaching the canvas over it

good luck! it's not easy to do

• Advertisement

all you need is a clean white sheet, heavy stapler and ideally some streching pliers. oh yea and time, patience and strong thumbs.

Advertisement