Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvas Prints

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Got my shipment from UPS - seems good (clear enough to see some photoshop bloopers if you're pixel peeping!)

I'm sure my mum will like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bmulhern

First time user here. I found out UpDone's prices increased about 25% within the past month. In fact, the reason I'm on this board site is because I was doing a search to see if there are other printers that have better prices.

Here's what Updone's pricing used to be:

26"x38" $33.96
    30"x40" $41.25
    40"x60" $75.00

Does anyone know of other canvas printers that are reasonably priced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A few options (some referred to in the earlier part of this thread - worthwhile a good long read)

Steve (stcstc) who posts here does them and has many recommendations - in this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055223187 he mentions being able to do a 20*16 - full price is 90 euro, but would give a discount to boards members and make it 65 euro

A bit of market research taken back in December found harvey normans prices as follows; A3 canvas print mounted is €69.99. Other options were A2 canvas print @ €99.99 and A1 canvas print €129.99 - haven't been in since so i'm not sure they are the same.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Planning on doing this have'nt looked into it yet
    What are the postage prices like?
    Tell me any postage you got charged and was size canvas
    Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

yea i cant compete with the prices from updone

but will give a discount to boards members.

I tend to aim to do good quality rather than price to tell you the truth

I use a Fuji Hunt pro canvas which is bright white, it costs more than some others but the results are better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

I met this guy on the hill of tara when i was taking pics 1 night, promised me a good deal, sounded good but i didnt go see him, canvas prints Alan: AC CREATIVE IMAGES: 0872612851,
    Check him out tell him shakey blakey from the hill of tara sent u !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ordered a large print from updone about 2 weeks before Christmas after getting a smaller one done before and was well impressed. Large print came today, UPS man wouldn't hand it over til I paid the customs (€29) :mad: , but I'm well chuffed with the print.
    Got this photo done
    2119586511_39f1563492.jpg?v=0

Came out really well in the large format (40in x 30in approx). Will hopefully look great hung on the wall :)

NICE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Got a print from Stephen and i gotta say.... it's perfect! Lots of love was put into printing and stretching it. Looks the business!

thanks for that ronan

glad you liked it

s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Dragging up old threads...

I got a 36*20 inch canvas off Steve this morning and I have got to say that I am really impressed by the quality, it's absolutely top-notch. I've got canvas prints from Reads and www.updone.com previously, but this blows both away in terms of quality, well worth the extra few bob. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Excellent, just PM'd him there as I've been meaning to get one done for ages now.

Paul

thanks for the recommendation, glad your happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

stcstc wrote: »
    Paul

thanks for the recommendation, glad your happy with it

no problem, as I said before I hope to get more done. Might be time to revise your boards discount :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Placed an order with Updone last Friday for a 75cmx50cm canvas print. Total came to $83 (inc delivery). It arrived today. Had it delivered to work, but the only indication of taxes/duties was on the invoice where it says 'charge to recipient'. Oh, it was marked as 'hand painted artwork'. Now I guess I just need to wait and see if mr revenue comes a knockin'... Oh, the quality is spot on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Got my Updone canvas back from the framers!
    Really pleased with how it turned out.

2302603394_57e80219f6.jpg?v=0

This was the original pic. Definitely gonna use these guys again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

total cost, printing and framing?

I don't have the record at the moment but I think the Updone canvas was about €30.

The framing cost €140 (it's fairly large) - more than I intended but the I've been staring at that blank wall for 3 years so I said fcuk it!
    TBH the crap prints in Woodies aren't much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

Don't get the attraction,are they actually transfered onto canvas.
    You get a woven pattern in the shot, never seen one in real life
    "convert me":D

its just a different way of presenting images

just like using different types of paper

some images suit it really well an it kind of add to the image, some it just doesnt work for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nicole1

Wow, this is really a great thread!!

I've altered a wedding photo so it is "posterized" - looks almost like a comic strip drawing. I attached it below. I want to order from upDone.com, but I'm stuck on which finish to get. I thought glossy would be good, but my husband said he wasn't sure if that would look right. What have you all chosen and which one do you think is appropriate for a color photo?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

i think it would look better as a normal photo print on a semi gloss or lustre paper

then frame it etc

I am not sure it will look right on canvas at all

Canvas tends to look best with images with large blocks of colour and not huge detail.

Alo be careful if you put it on canvas, quite a few of the canvas printers use a canvas thats not quite white. and so the dress will actually come out off white

I use a fuji canvas which is white and therefore things look the right colour

hope this helps

With Updone at least, the grain of the canvas isn't too pronounced. You'd need to be up close to see the texture. It just has a nice feel to it.

Nicole, if I were you I'd probably go with the matte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 the_burner

Hi Guys
    What about the photos size?
    What is the largest format I can get from a 6 Megapixel photo, without loosing quality?

it depends on the shot

some 6 megapixel cameras can produce quite good images that could be printed 20*16

but then come of them have soooo much noise that printing them any bigger than a4 will look rubbish

I have used snapfish (online service - HP company) to produce a 20x30 poster print for me from a 6 mega pixel image. Quite acceptable results - yes on close inspection you'd notice a little pixelation but i came to the conclusion that it would only worry me if it were being viewed from 6 inches away and as the print was 20x30 you certainly wouldn't be doing that ;o) Darn good value too ! in this case €9.99 plus postage. Only drawback for me is that it was only available in a gloss finish - but for €9.99 it was great. Would have liked matte/lustre. However at a price like that you could think about trying it first before you get your final choice of material/size sorted. My print BTW was a 6MP image straight from the camera without any cropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I have used snapfish (online service - HP company) to produce a 20x30 poster print for me from a 6 mega pixel image. Quite acceptable results - yes on close inspection you'd notice a little pixelation but i came to the conclusion that it would only worry me if it were being viewed from 6 inches away and as the print was 20x30 you certainly wouldn't be doing that ;o) Darn good value too ! in this case €9.99 plus postage.

have you got a canvas print or a paper print?
    canvas in that page starts at £49.99 for a 20x16

no a standard paper print in that quoted directly above. still may be useful is anyones worried about whether the 6mp image will scale up or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just to let you folks know if your getting some prints done. I ordered $87 worth of canvases from updone and got charged €28 vat/duty on them last week.

I wouldn't really mind as the vat only came to €14 but UPS charged €14 to collect this, a bit cheeky on their part. I did some phoning around and artwork can get charged 6.5% if over €12/13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

kjt wrote: »
    Just to let you folks know if your getting some prints done. I ordered $87 worth of canvases from updone and got charged €28 vat/duty on them last week.

I wouldn't really mind as the vat only came to €14 but UPS charged €14 to collect this, a bit cheeky on their part. I did some phoning around and artwork can get charged 6.5% if over €12/13.

Yeah, I think it's a bit hit and miss because I wasn't charged VAT on a smaller order - I think it was about 60 euro worth.

Inanyways, the canvases look good so even with the VAT it's still worth it (unlike L'Oréal which isn't).

• Advertisement

Yes they're still brilliant, and far cheaper. I got a lovely (HUGE) 50x35" print of bud. Well impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If I had to get on a plane and go and get it I wouldnt ever use UPS again, sloppy service and they charged me VAT and didnt even give me a receipt, it took about 7 weeks of phone calls to get one sent out. :mad:
    kjt wrote: »

Borderfox wrote: »
    If I had to get on a plane and go and get it I wouldnt ever use UPS again, sloppy service and they charged me VAT and didnt even give me a receipt, it took about 7 weeks of phone calls to get one sent out. :mad:

Sounds like terrible service Keith. Anytime I've been charged vat I've had to pay on receiving the package, I'll always get a receipt/invoice for the said price. This being with UPS, Fedex & DHL. Hmmm I'm starting to see a trend, I waste WAY too much money online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lovely shot of Bud any chance of taking a picture of the canvas version and giving us a look?

Thanks Keith! I haven't had time to stretch it yet. Shall post one up when it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

How sharp are canvas prints?

I'm thinking of getting one of my sunsets done up. The first one below is probably the more obvious looking one, but the second looks great at full size. The boat is just a nice amount out of focus, while the sun is pin sharp. I'm not sure if you would get the full effect on a canvas though?

2492674913_60d8ef3767.jpg

2493496078_fec63d005f.jpg

• Advertisement

Second one works for me. Although it's a great shot - would it not be quite dark to blow up?

And +1 to see a large version of Bud, kjt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Dades wrote: »
    Second one works for me. Although it's a great shot - would it not be quite dark to blow up?

Possibly, but I have the original RAW file to tweak if need be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Another thumbs up for Steve. he did cracking good work for me a while back.

Merv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I may be a little late to be offering advice but I used harvey normans to blow up a photo to a1 (about €100) it looks brill, Then I got a local frame shop to stretch and frame the pic (€120). not the cheapest but I am very pleased with the results. H N helped with the colour, tones etc. and framer helped me pick frame,you cant beat being involved in the whole process from taking the pic to hanging it on your wall.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I got a 24' by 16' of this

2765651198_9dc0c80f70.jpg

Arrived the other day along with a few others and well happy with the service.

Took a week to arrive

Cost me €200 in all for the about a 5 smaller prints of 18' by 12', that includes €40 to be paid to fed ex for import duty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

One more vote for updone - although they're not astonishingly cheap anymore, they're still very good value. Do get the glossy finish though. The matt finish tends to pick up fingerprints / marks and makes colours look flatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dmcnamee

Hi, first time to use this site and not really sure what I'm doing! Just wondering if anyone prints their own canvas at home, and if so what printer you have? Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dmcnamee

Hi, do you print your own canvas photos? If so would you mind telling me where you bought your printer as am interested in buying one but no clue where to start. Thanks:)
    i think it would look better as a normal photo print on a semi gloss or lustre paper

then frame it etc

I am not sure it will look right on canvas at all

Canvas tends to look best with images with large blocks of colour and not huge detail.

Alo be careful if you put it on canvas, quite a few of the canvas printers use a canvas thats not quite white. and so the dress will actually come out off white

I use a fuji canvas which is white and therefore things look the right colour

hope this helps

i do print canvas myself

BUT

i have a printer that cost 3.5K and a roll of canvas costs 200 euros

but thats only the start, you need a whole bunch of tools, space etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hayward

Hi All,

I used Undone after seeing good reviews on this blog, can't say I am impressed with the service!

Sent a photo early September and to cut a long story short it took a month to arrive!

When it finally arrived was not impressed with the quality or presentation, canvas was off white and stuck to a board not stretched on the frame.

Spent hours on the phone and Emails lots of excuses but not interested in any kind of apology or compensation.

Don't think I will be using them again.

if you get stuck

give me a shout I would be able to help you with some canvas

I use HD white cotton canvas, its more expensive but it is really white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

As a matter of interest, why is stretching so expensive.

Surely it's just a mechanical exercise?

hey covey

there are two parts to the stretching

first is the cost of the frame to stretch over,
    second, its actually a time consuming job. and there is a bit of an art to it.

generally it takes me 20 to 40 mins to stretch a canvas.

obviously there are other costs, like tooling and a matt etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

hey covey

there are two parts to the stretching

first is the cost of the frame to stretch over,
    second, its actually a time consuming job. and there is a bit of an art to it.

generally it takes me 20 to 40 mins to stretch a canvas.

obviously there are other costs, like tooling and a matt etc

Sure, but the capital costs should be minimal per canvas. At €50 on average it seems like money for old rope to me. :rolleyes:

i dont mean this to sound wrong

but if you think what you get paid per hr as a skilled person.

and then from the stretching cost subtract around 10 euro average for the cost of materials

ignore the costs of tooling etc

you can earn maybe 60 euros an hr or so, if you doing 2 per hr.

a lot of professional people say working in IT will earn that much

when you look at it like that its not expensive

it is however one of the reasons i offer the print only option.

the other thing is, its really not as easy as it sounds. in fact you could come have a go next time you order a print if you like :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement