Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YZR 500 build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Ciaran, The lower the pressure the more you can thin the paint. But if it was spitting, ye need more thinner. I usually put between 50% and 70% thinner in my mix. Not exact measures, more like.. "that looks ok".
    BF .. yeah them paints look interesting. Im always open to tryin new things, and am putting an order in to hiroboy for a few bits and pieces in cluding a new stash of alcald! so I might order em and try em out.
    Though i did get tamiya weathering sticks a while ago and im not too impressed.. but still worth a try..

Slowly but surely im gettin this done. I had a real pain in me arse with the decals, cos they are crap! They seem to be the original decals used, and are very thick. But using Microsol I managed to do a fairly decent job in the end, though I had to touch up some of the decals with paint. In the pic below I still havent finished the fairings, I still need to laquer them and paint the inside Matt Black.
    Fairing decals.jpg

So when I finished the decals, I done a bit of assembly, putting the engine in the frame, the swing arm on etc. Oh and wheels.. they are painted gold, and the tyres are sanded down to look a little worn.
    Part complete bike1.jpg

At this point I had to stick on the exhausts, just to get an idea what they will look like, and im happy...
    Part complete bike 2.jpg
    Part complete bike 3.jpg

Im gonna finish this before the new year! I promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Looking good Dok. I like the decal job, very smooth and clean.

Unfortunately mine wont be done before New Year, read my thread to find out why!

Well, im nearly there.
    Over christmas I finished the fairings/tank etc.
    I gave the outside a few coats of clear laquer and painted the inside matt black with a brush.
    Completed fairings.jpg

Next I added a few cables that wernt on the original model. There was no temp guage cable, tacho cable or throttle cables.
    These are handy to add. I just drill a small hole where I want the cable to terminate, super glue a small bit of copper wire into the hole, super glue cable onto copper wire. The difficult part is finding where the cable should go!
    Cables.jpg

Im getting to the point now where i will need the stand. I decided I wanted to make it nice and used looking. So I painted it silver first, the dabbed some masking fluid on with a scotch pad. Let that dry and sprayed it gloss black. When the paint is dry rub the bars with the back of a blade and the masking fluid comes off and you then have a nice scratched look.
    Stand.jpg

The next think i did was finish the forks off. These were chrome in the box. But I thought they looked too shiny, and also the chrome covered the detail a bit, so i stripped the chrome off and used alclad chrome to repaint them.
    I also painted the mudguard yellow, then noticed it should be black!
    So I put em together, and temporarly mounted them on the bike, as they shouldnt be put on until the fairings are on. But i wanted to see what it looked like...
    forks.jpg

I will probably finish this tonight, there are some little bits to paint, like valves, handgrips etc.. and then the fairings to add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Jesus man thats some talent, keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Lookinggood Dok, love the look of the 'used' bike stand. Actually just ordered some masking liquid so looking forward to trying it out. Also ordered the Alclad so really want to see what results I get with that. Ordered the paint for the Ducati but that is comingfrom Japan so could be waiting a few weeks to complete it. Have gone back to the DeLorean to try and finish it.

Dok could you show me how you did the cables with some pics? Jsut if you get a chance. Cant quite picture how you did it.

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    Dok could you show me how you did the cables with some pics? Jsut if you get a chance. Cant quite picture how you did it.

No problem.

First take the part you want to add a cable onto. In this example I am goin to put it on the gold coloured part.
    1.jpg
    Next drill a hole where you want to cable to go. I used about a 1mm bit. And take a bit of copper wire and super glue it into the hole. The only important thing about the guage of the wire is that the Vinyl tube will fit over it.
    2.jpg

Then put a small dab of super glue on the copper, and slide the vinyl tube onto it.
    3.jpg

If you want a "connector" on the cable, take about 1cm of masking tape, cut a thin strip, and wrap it around the tube. Then paint it siver, or what ever colour ya want it to be.
    4.jpg

So, last night I went over the model and got a few more bits done. I added a steering damper, which is on the real thing, but not on the model.
    I just used an old damper that was on some old model and made it a bit shorter and it was perfect. I thought it was important enough, as you can see it quite clearly on the finished model, its not hidden away.
    Next I took some clear vinyl tube and added a breather pipe for the fuel tank.
    Then the fairings, tank etc went on. They went on pretty easily. I remember when i made it as a kid, having serious difficulty with that bit!
    Then after going over the model again and checking what i missed, I put the screen on. After taking these final pics I did add a light was of black to some of the recessed areas, like on the wheels for example. But a fresh was doesnt look great in pics... but ya get the idea.
    complete 1.jpg
    complete 2.jpg

The end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

very nice!

The Doktor wrote: »
    So, last night I went over the model and got a few more bits done. I added a steering damper, which is on the real thing, but not on the model.
    I just used an old damper that was on some old model and made it a bit shorter and it was perfect. I thought it was important enough, as you can see it quite clearly on the finished model, its not hidden away.
    Next I took some clear vinyl tube and added a breather pipe for the fuel tank.
    Then the fairings, tank etc went on. They went on pretty easily. I remember when i made it as a kid, having serious difficulty with that bit!
    Then after going over the model again and checking what i missed, I put the screen on. After taking these final pics I did add a light was of black to some of the recessed areas, like on the wheels for example. But a fresh was doesnt look great in pics... but ya get the idea.
    complete 1.jpg
    complete 2.jpg
    The end

Cheers for the other pics Dok makes more sense now. I thought you were using a full piece of copper wiring frompoint A to point B then putting the vinyl over it. Is that vinyl a scale aftermarket product or jsut something you saw lying around and thought "Oh thats perfect for the parts box!"

As for the finished model, its come out great. You know my feelings on the clear finish but you have yours just right so it doesnt look plasticky (is it even a word?). What clear do you use because I am always very wary of using it that it will eat a decal job and I know TS-13 is well known for doing that!

So whats on the desk next Dok?

• Advertisement

Ciaran, The vinyl is stuff that comes with various kits, tamiya or what ever. I always keep the leftover stuff. Though you can buy it in lenghts in various guages and colours. I want to get some more meself cos im running out, and its rare you get any clear tube in any model, which is useful for breather pipes on petrol tanks.
    Regarding using the copper wire running through the vinyl, I have found that makes the vinyl way too rigid, and difficult to work with, and theres really no need. Though using the copper wire on its own works well, specially when you want thin wires on your model.

The Clear coat is Halfords spray cans! I find it great, I decant enough for the job and spray it with the airbrush. Its perfectly thinned straight from the can. It doesnt seem to cause any reaction with decals. Usually what i do to lessen the chance is to spray on one very light coat. leave it dry for 20 mins and then start to build up heavier coats. Works well so far!

The Doktor wrote: »
    Ciaran, The vinyl is stuff that comes with various kits, tamiya or what ever. I always keep the leftover stuff. Though you can buy it in lenghts in various guages and colours. I want to get some more meself cos im running out, and its rare you get any clear tube in any model, which is useful for breather pipes on petrol tanks.
    Regarding using the copper wire running through the vinyl, I have found that makes the vinyl way too rigid, and difficult to work with, and theres really no need. Though using the copper wire on its own works well, specially when you want thin wires on your model.

The Clear coat is Halfords spray cans! I find it great, I decant enough for the job and spray it with the airbrush. Its perfectly thinned straight from the can. It doesnt seem to cause any reaction with decals. Usually what i do to lessen the chance is to spray on one very light coat. leave it dry for 20 mins and then start to build up heavier coats. Works well so far!

Thats what I thought about using the whole length of copper in the vinyl tubing.

I might give the halfords stuff a try for my next project. The paint for which is coming with the TS-8 from Japan. So will see how I get on.

Advertisement