Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password Protected folders in Vista

• 31-10-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. Is it possible to password protect folders in Vista without having to install any 3rd party software?

I've had a poke around some of the menu's- There are various security features but none seem to offer password protection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

i was looking for the same option but its not looking good with 3rd party software... you swear Microsoft would could put in that as a neat and easy feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yup. True.

As far as I know zip folders can be password protected but thats not what I want to do..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.truecrypt.org is freeware and open source

the other option is encrypted ntfs which IIRC isn't supported in Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

i was looking for the same option but its not looking good with 3rd party software... you swear Microsoft would could put in that as a neat and easy feature.
    Don't ever expect anything of Microsoft.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

alan4cult wrote: »
    Don't ever expect anything of Microsoft.
    In fairness they cater for the commercial market where people are supposed to have their home folder on servers that are physically inaccessible. And the ENTFS feature is standard on business systems.

The EFS feature is not included in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
    How To Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP

The real problem is data recovery - somewhere there is a link to make a recovery floppy - make a few and keep them off site in case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement