Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmarked Garda cars... rear lights?

Options
  • 31-10-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭

I was passed by a flying Mondeo at 8pm last night which came up on me from behind with its two headlights flashing. Grand, I pulled over and let him pass.
    Then I noticed that the car had no rear lights other than when he dabbed his brakes.
    This is the second time such an unmarked car has passed me and not had rear lights... Is there a reason for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

too lazy to change the bulbs or bad electrical connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

"Is there a reason for this??" ... eh yeah - they are not working and need to be changed!

Slightly off topic but if a Garda car stops you and you notice that one OR BOTH of its lights are out (such as a headlight bulb or tailightbulb) can you point it out to them and this renders any fine or requests they make invalid (such as doing you for speeding, running red lights etc)

Im sure i read this somewhere a long time ago but am not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but if a Garda car stops you and you notice that one OR BOTH of its lights are out (such as a headlight bulb or tailightbulb) can you point it out to them and this renders any fine or requests they make invalid (such as doing you for speeding, running red lights etc)
    Worked for me when I was stopped on the M6 in England once.

Me: "Excuse me, but before I forget, officer, I couldn't help noticing that one of your brake lights wasn't working when you pulled in in front of me"

Cop: (walks back to car, gets in, and gets his colleague to check the lights, returns) "OK sir, thanks for that, and just watch your speed now won't you. Good night."

No guarantees it'd work here though, they'd probably just swear at you for being cheeky and do you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

10-10-20 wrote: »
    This is the second time such an unmarked car has passed me and not had rear lights... Is there a reason for this?

Funny you should say that, Friday night I was approaching the toll bridge northbound and an unmarked car was coming in the opposite direction with its strobes on but I noticed that it had no rear lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

"Is there a reason for this??" ... eh yeah - they are not working and need to be changed!

Im sure i read this somewhere a long time ago but am not certain.

Yea right! you'll find some garda cars have some defect or another cause they get the arse driven out of them and are on the road 24/7..

they will in their arse let you off with something... and pointing out the defect would only get them more pissed off at ya... one of my best friends is a garda and you wouldn't believe the things that people think get them let off with things:-
    1. Your not wearing your hat you can't arrest me...
    2. Your driving your own car, your not on duty, you can't arrest me...
    3. You can't stop and search me without a reason ( under drugs laws they can)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Of course you get off, same as th eway a Gard can't arrest you if he hasnt got his hat on. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you greet the Garda with the Stonecutters handshake, there are no penalty points. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Alun wrote: »
    England.

Me: "Excuse me, but before I forget, officer, I couldn't help noticing that one of your brake lights wasn't working when you pulled in in front of me"

Cop: (walks back to car, gets in, and gets his colleague to check the lights, returns) "OK sir, thanks for that, and just watch your speed now won't you. Good night."
    Ireland.

Me: "Excuse me, but before I forget, garda, I couldn't help noticing that one of your brake lights wasn't working when you pulled in in front of me"

Garda: (walks back to car, gets in, and gets his colleague to hold his chip bag, returns) "Right, ya cheeky little fvcker, wheres your fully licenced driving companion?? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

gyppo wrote: »
    Ireland.

Me: "Excuse me, but before I forget, garda, I couldn't help noticing that one of your brake lights wasn't working when you pulled in in front of me"

Garda: (walks back to car, gets in, and gets his colleague to hold his chip bag, returns) "Right, ya cheeky little fvcker, wheres your fully licenced driving companion?? "

haha, that is class alright...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

maybe it wasnt a cop car at all., all cop car now have strobe lights in the headlights and tail lights, they also have LED corner markers so that when there edging out into traffic people can see them comming, A lot of them also have strobes in the rear windows aswell.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I was passed by a flying Mondeo at 8pm last night which came up on me from behind with its two headlights flashing. Grand, I pulled over and let him pass.
    Then I noticed that the car had no rear lights other than when he dabbed his brakes.

When patrol cars start up, the headlamps automatically come on, its installed by the depot before its collected. Sometimes they ain't so good!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I was passed by a flying Mondeo at 8pm last night ...that the car had no rear lights Is there a reason for this?

Yes.

It's a Ford.

Unable to wire rear lights since 1893.................:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

I believe if you slap your lad out whilst the Gard is peering in your window they usually just let you off with a warning...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I was driving out strand road towards Howth on Saturday night, 60-70km/h behind two cars. Out of nowhere I see blue strobes behind me, no headlights. Undercover Coralla hatch. Overtook us all in one go, no rear lights either. Just strobes to light his way.

I might be wrong here, but maybe once the strobes are turned on, the headlights and tail lights kick out of action. I’ve seen a few other undercover cars with the same thing. Saw a mondeo with no lights on Dame Street over the weekend, with just one led of his high level brake light lit up in blue.

Someone who works in the place where they fit out Garda cars might have the answer…

ive worked on cop cars myself and can say thet the tail lights on them are wired in aswell, there might be a few of the older ones floating around still but not many, these ones have the magnetic light that they stick on the roof and dont have anything in the rear lights.,

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

You know the way the light switch has three point: Off (daytime) > Parking > On(nigh time)

The front alternatively flashing headlights can only be used when the lights are turned off (ie. day time - use for day time). It attracts the attention of those overtaking lane hogging drivers.

When you turn on the dipped headlights, they will not flash when on 999 mode. Only the Blues will work.

You know the way the light switch has three point: Off (daytime) > Parking > On(nigh time)

The front alternatively flashing headlights can only be used when the lights are turned off (ie. day time - use for day time). It attracts the attention of those overtaking lane hogging drivers.

When you turn on the dipped headlights, they will not flash when on 999 mode. Only the Blues will work

those alternating lights (sometimes called wigwag) are actually tapped into the highbeams and they work all the time weather the headlights are on or not,., normal beams wouldnt be bright enough to attract the attention they need to get people out of the way.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sindub

I noticed the same thing early on this week. An unmarked garda car with no rear lights. I was wondering was it just some scanger with a sireon ???

It was pretty dangerous as it onyl had rear break lights and was going in and out between all the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh ive notied it numerous times and always on unmarked mondeos, that once they have their strobe lights on the back lights arn't lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm wondering is someone systematically screwing up the lighting, thinking they are doing it correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ok, I could understand front lights not working, to emphasise the blue lights. But no rear lights? Unless they enjoy following people from in front :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

CarLover wrote: »
    I believe if you slap your lad out whilst the Gard is peering in your window they usually just let you off with a warning...

;)

Ha ha brilliant :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement