Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hoping to move back to lovely leitrim

Options
  • 31-10-2007 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hello all

I was raised in leitrim but left many years (18 yers to be exact..jeez i feel old!) to seek the high life in london (where I had a ball)
    I returned to Ireland 3 years ago and I am working in the south west,I transferred back with my job
    . I am now really keen to return to leitrim and have to go through the hoo hah of selling my house down here and making plans to return..,, need some advice on where the best place to start looking for work etc for my self and my husband? I have an extensive background in retail management, my hubbie would be looking for laboring or warehouse work.. is there any agencies up there that could help?
    Where would be the best places to work and live..I am originally from outside ballinamore but I suppose anywhere in the county would be ok?

would appreciate any advice..its hard for me to get back home as I work most weekends and its a 3 hour trip home when I can get home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

minxmad wrote: »
    hello all

I was raised in leitrim but left many years (18 yers to be exact..jeez i feel old!) to seek the high life in london (where I had a ball)
    I returned to Ireland 3 years ago and I am working in the south west,I transferred back with my job
    . I am now really keen to return to leitrim and have to go through the hoo hah of selling my house down here and making plans to return..,, need some advice on where the best place to start looking for work etc for my self and my husband? I have an extensive background in retail management, my hubbie would be looking for laboring or warehouse work.. is there any agencies up there that could help?
    Where would be the best places to work and live..I am originally from outside ballinamore but I suppose anywhere in the county would be ok?

would appreciate any advice..its hard for me to get back home as I work most weekends and its a 3 hour trip home when I can get home

Carrick On Shannon is positively booming at the moment so it might be a good place to start!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

http://www.leitrim.ie/business/resources.htm
    This site might help to get an overall feel for the place and activity in leitrim at moment. I have a personal fondness for North leitrim, you have the closeness to Sligo as well which may be another avenue to explore for jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 minxmad

thats great good places to start, I have been off work today so have been browsing the web, North Leitrim is beautiful and would be very handy for Sligo so defintitely an option, I was off for a few days last week and drove around Drumshambo, lough Allen area truly beautiful, could happily live their looking at the lake and the mountains:)
    Actually I fired a CV off to an agency today though they are looking at an area manager position for me, though I am not so sure, was hoping to reduce stress levels not make them worse..
    Still if I can skive off like my areas manager does maybe would be easy enough and I can still enjoy the lakes and mountains!!;)

actually does anyone know what MBNA are like to work for?
    They seem to be advertising now and their salary range is 20K-30K? What would the job involve? I quite like the idea of just doing what I am told rather then have to do other peoples thinking for them all the time( sometimes feel like that in my current role)

minxmad wrote: »
    actually does anyone know what MBNA are like to work for?
    They seem to be advertising now and their salary range is 20K-30K? What would the job involve? I quite like the idea of just doing what I am told rather then have to do other peoples thinking for them all the time( sometimes feel like that in my current role)

I know a few ppl working there and they seem quite happy.
    They are Bank of America now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Alot of South Leitrim is as handy as parts of North Leitrim for commuting. Drumshanbo is only 30min from Sligo town on the Keadue/Ballyfarnon road (it's bound to be resurfaced properly soon:rolleyes:). Alot of north Leitrim takes longer than that (Glenade, Kiltyclogher, Rossinver, Kinlough etc.) I presume your not ruling out north Roscommon here either (or maybe you are. Damn Rossies and Riggies:D). Ballyfarnon, Keadue, Crossna, Cootehall are all nice and a shortish commute from Sligo.
    Doesn't matter where you end up as it's bound to be better than the south west. I mean what's Kerry and West Cork got to offer that we.......oh wait. Damn:(:D

well I am working in limerick and living in tipp now and though I like it down here and the locals are friendly(dont believe everything you hear about limerick!) its not home and though I know Limerick has a bad name,it is a paradise compared to where I lived in london for a while..harlesden..could tell a few stories about living there!
    I am hoping to pop home next weekend ( not this) so we will take a drive around sligo to spot employment opportunities.. carrick and longford are on our radar as well, though really want to "live" in leitrim..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

tbh honest anywhere in Leitrim around the lake is local enough to carrick/sligo/longford.

Drumkeerin and Drumshambo are good locations for settling. Both are commutable distance to the larger companies.

If you are thinking of these areas pm me, i can give you some advice on property of drumkeerin at least.

Personally I love Drumshambo.

But MBNA have a bad rep as employers.
    They are very sales driven, and you get called into the office on a daily basis if sales are down.
    They also time your toilet breaks. You get so many minutes of toilet time a day.
    Dunnes stores are advertising for managers in Longford at the mo.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    They also time your toilet breaks. You get so many minutes of toilet time a day.

:eek:
    Jebus!

• Advertisement

moonbaby said
    But MBNA have a bad rep as employers.
    They are very sales driven, and you get called into the office on a daily basis if sales are down.
    Dunnes stores are advertising for managers in Longford at

oh my god thats desperate!! surely there is a human rights law against that! what if you were sick? The sales Driven bit wouldnt bother me so much as I am very target driven myself, however from what you say moonbaby it does seem very "factory" like and when I lived in leitrim long long ago I worked in a factory , dont really want to repeat that working environment, though the crack was good! have you worked there yourself?

I did wonder why they have jobs advertised on a lot of recruitment sites

I havnt heard great things about dunnes either and that their managers are encouraged to treat people like S##t, which I couldnt do.

To be honest would love to get out of management as I am a bit fed up with it, stress and hours wear you down in the end, A nice office job would be just the ticket!!

havnt done much this week, have sent my CV to a few agancies and heard....nothing...just a well I am not desperate yet as I havnt handed in notice down here.Need to sort house down here and start thinking of trying to sell ,think I will def rent in leitrim depending on where my husband and I get work and then either build or buy.

I have never worked for MBNA, but a lot of people I know do and it is common knowledge locally.
    You should keep an eye out in the local papers, UL stocks some of The Roscommon Champion and The Sligo Champion.
    I can keep an eye open in the Leitrim observer for you.
    www.fas.ie is a good place to look.
    Have you thought about the civil service?

thanks moonbaby..will check out UL for sligo and roscommon papers, I have looked in limerick for the leitrim papers and they are hard to get,I di look at it online it doesnt have any job ads in it.
    I did think about the civil service but wasnt sure with my background if I would get in.. any ideas how you would apply to get into civil service?

thanks some good suggestions

There aren't any entry requirements for a clerical officer other than a leaving cert as far as I know.
    Even starting out it certainly pays as good as MBNA, which is in the region of 20k.
    I think if you register with www.publicjobs.ie they will notify you when the exams are held.

If you ask in work and jobs, someone will be able to tell you exactly how it works.

Also keep an eye on http://www.localgovernmentjobs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Be warned. Civil service jobs don't always go through the proper channels. I myself have been told I couldn't have an application form for a job, as it had been "filled internally". It wasn't. I knew who got it and he'd worked in the building for two different companies under contract, one of which I worked with, but going by the Irish definition of "internally", his wife was employed there.
    Pay was roughly 50% more than you would get for the same job in the private sector, so par for the course in the Civil Service.

thanks a million for that information, it is really useful, will put a query into work and jobs

Advertisement