Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unable/unwilling to pay garage bill

Options
  • 31-10-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I left my car in to be serviced/repaired a few weeks ago but now find myself in a position where I can't afford to pay the bill (approx 600euro). I also have a problem with the work they carried out on my vehicle and I'm unwilling to even consider paying them until they have addressed the problem.

The garage (a main dealer) has now threatened to sell my car to a scrap dealer to pay the bill and to offset storage charges unless I pay up by next Friday.

Can they do this? Can they sell my car even though I have the log book?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Zagorkagirl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Did they quote you the 600 before they started carrying out works?

What work are you not satisfied with? Need more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

No, they can not scrap your car and even if you don't pay the car can not be held on their premises as you own it.

Try to get a recording of one of your discussion with them and you'll see how the wheel is turning in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

louie wrote: »
    No, they can not scrap your car and even if you don't pay the car can not be held on their premises as you own it.

Try to get a recording of one of your discussion with them and you'll see how the wheel is turning in your favour.

They can apply storage charges. They can also keep possesion of it.

I left my car in to be serviced/repaired a few weeks ago but now find myself in a position where I can't afford to pay the bill (approx 600euro). I also have a problem with the work they carried out on my vehicle and I'm unwilling to even consider paying them until they have addressed the problem.

The garage (a main dealer) has now threatened to sell my car to a scrap dealer to pay the bill and to offset storage charges unless I pay up by next Friday.

Can they do this? Can they sell my car even though I have the log book?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Zagorkagirl

The threat to sell it is probably an empty one to try and get you to pay up. You would want to have very good reason to feel justified in witholding payment.
    What exactly is it with the repair that you are not happy with?

The very fact that you have stated you are unable to pay makes this sound a bit odd. I would wonder if there is a lot more to this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Zagorkagirl

Basically, I left my car in to the garage and it was damaged (seriously damaged) during the service. They will not take any responsibility for the damage or even discuss it in a civilised manner - we have now resorted to writing to each other by registered post and I think this is going to go on for a while. (I could consult a solicitor, but due to financial restraints this would be a last resort)

But my immediate problem is whether or not they can sell it for scrap without the log book. Do they have the right to do this to recover any monies they feel is due to them?

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What kind of damage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Basically, I left my car in to the garage and it was damaged (seriously damaged) during the service. They will not take any responsibility for the damage or even discuss it in a civilised manner - we have now resorted to writing to each other by registered post and I think this is going to go on for a while. (I could consult a solicitor, but due to financial restraints this would be a last resort)

But my immediate problem is whether or not they can sell it for scrap without the log book. Do they have the right to do this to recover any monies they feel is due to them?

Z

You never mentioned that the garage damaged the car in your first post? What exactly is the 600 euro bill for? You said you were unhappy with the work they carried out, why? I dont think we can comment until we have the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

If you've feel you've got a valid case a solicitor will only charge about €80 for a letter to be sent.

Otherwise call Joe Duffy (as in the chap from Clontarf and not the dealer on the Finglas Rd!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Car repair at a main dealer is a expensive business. I was waiting in a FIAT/Alfa/Peugeot service dept. reception for a whole afternoon once and overheard many people being contacted with bills. €600 is not very much if something has been repaired.

I bet everyone here has had bills of €600+, my record is €2,200 from an indy for a long list of service jobs, with one or two small repairs. That was "cash"- which he sprung on me when I went in to pay. I didn't request this but it would have been around €3k if it had been all above board. Original estimate was €1200 to €1500 fully through the books.

if you have a genuine grievance, for €600, just pay it and get the car outta there and get it fixed elsewhere and consider yourself lucky.

How much will it cost to repair the "damage"?

Why go to a main dealer to fix a problem if you have no money?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

That is a different matter completely.

What kind of damage did they do to it?

It sounds like you are in dispute with them over responsibility for the damage. Can you be sure that they actually did the damage and can you prove the same?

Is repairing the damage included in the €600 bill?

Most solicitors will give a free first consulation so you can find out exactly where you stand. Also it does not cost much to send a solicitors letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Give us more details, including what the car was originally sent in for, what happened while it was in there and finally, why are you unhappy with the service.

You could try contact a Free Legal Aid Centre if you feel that you have a genuine grievance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Zagorkagirl

Hello All,

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll have to consult a solicitor to see if it can be resolved.

Apologies for being a bit vague in the opening post but I didn't want to say too much on this forum, at this time.(you never know who is watching!) I will let you know how/if the matter is resolved.

Thanks again,
    Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Just for the record, the garage is entitled to retain the vehicle if the bill is not paid, its called an Articifer's Lien. On the other hand, while they retain your car they are fully responsible for it being looked after.

They are also entitled to charge storage during this time and can eventually sell the car to offset these costs - after following certain procedures etc.

The whole Articifer's Lien thing goes back to the last century IIRC.

The issue of a dispute in charges or damage is best left in the hands of a decent Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Zagorkagirl - which is it I'm confused?

Unable to pay? (as per topic)
    Unwilling because you have an issue with their work? (as per original post)
    In dispute because they damaged your vehicle? (as per later posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Churchy wrote: »
    Zagorkagirl - which is it I'm confused?

Unable to pay? (as per topic)
    Unwilling because you have an issue with their work? (as per original post)
    In dispute because they damaged your vehicle? (as per later posts)
    I don't think she wants to get into any details, this being a public forum and all that.:)

Advertisement