Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Meeting Kennys in Lucan 12 November 2007

Options
  • 31-10-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi All,

The Adoption Support Network of Ireland is holding a support meeting for all those affected by adoption in Kenny's Vesey Arms in Lucan on 12th November next. The meeting will start at 7.30 and should finish around 9.30. If you are interested in attending or would like any more information please let me know.

Kind Regards

Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Martin, I know a couple living in Palmerstown that are thinking about adopting a child, it's at a very early stage for them. Would this meeting be suitable for those people or is this a meeting purely for those who have been adopted or put children up for adoption?

Any info appreciated before I go telling them about the meeting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭martinf

Hi,

Whether the meeting would be useful or not would depend on what they hope to get out of it. In my limited experience of such meetings they are mainly attended by adoptees and with a smaller number of natural or adoptive parents. Therefore if the couple were looking for advice in terms of how to adopt a child in Ireland or abroad there may not be a lot of information available at the meetings for them. Alternatively if they were looking for information on how adoption affects the three sides of the adoption triangle then they may find it useful. For example topics such as how someone can trace their natural parents, peoples experience of how adoption was dealt with in their own adoptive family, dealing with the various adoption agencies would be typical.

As you can see many of the topics deal with adoptee issues but there are issues that specifically affect adoptive/natural parents that are discussed if they're brought up. I would suggest that the following might be some of the issues the couple could have addressed at the meeting:
    • Being open about adoption with your child
    • Risks associated witha adopting abroad
    • What if your child wants to trace their natural family
    • Getting as much information as possible during the adoption process

Alternatively they may well be other adoptive parents who have recently gone through the process who may be willing to speak with them in terms of how the process works.

Hopefully the above is helpful to you.

Best wishes

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for that, I'll let them know. Naturally enough they are nervous about committing to adoption but it might be useful to them so they can get an idea about the kind of things that effect adoptees in later life...

I'll mention it to them and let them make up their own minds. It's early days for them yet. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adomackno101

martin i would like to attend the meeting in lucan if thats alright,

regards
    adrian

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Martin- I won't be able to attend the meeting unfortunately. Hope to make the next one.

Kind regards,

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I can't make it either :( I do want to go to the next one.

Hi Adrian,

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Kind Regards

Martin

Hi All,

Just to remind you that a support meeting for all affected by adoption will be held in Lucan's Vesey Arms in Lucan at 7.30pm. Looking forward to\seeing you there.

Kind Regards

Martin

Hi All,

I was at the meeting last night and have to say that I really enjoyed it (I know I'm one of the organisers but it was still very enjoyable). There was a lot of lively conversation, sharing of experiences and some questions were answered. I thought it was great to be in a room with people who had at least a basic knowledge of where I was coming from through their own experiences. It's also a bit of a comfort to know that the questions I'm grappling with are not completely unique so I'm not the first person in the world to have the feelings I have. Combined with the willingness of others to share some of their story it made for an entertaining and informative night.

If anyone would be interested in attending the next meeting it'll be on the 10th December next in the back room of Kenny's Vesey Arms in Lucan. I'll post up an official notice closer to the time. I look forward to seeing you there.

Best Wishes

Martin

Advertisement