Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utorrent and eircom

Options
  • 31-10-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm pretty new to utorrent but I'm experiencing slow speeds. I have a netopia router that i connect by wifi. Can any one suggest what settings i should use in terms of configuring the router and Utorrent (max upload speed, max download speed, porrt numbers to use, etc.). Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

It depends on your connection speed & the amount of available good seeds on any given torrent.

I have the 2MB DSL Eircom BB & set my max download to 160kB & max upload to 15kB. I tick the box to increase upload speed to when download complete. I fiddled with these settings for a while before I arrived at these figures.

As far as port forwarding goes I just let it pick a random number & once I get one that doesn't seem throttled I leave it at that.

On a well seeded torrent I'd expect to download a 340MB series episode in about 2-3 hours & a 700MB film in about 5-6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Make sure you port forward! http://portforward.com/ pick your router and follow the guide.
    If done right and you have a good torrent, i have downloaded a typical 350mb tv show in under 15 mins, usually its more like an hour or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

you dont need to forward any ports with the netopia routers, its a complete waste of time, all you need to do is go to the router homepage http://192.168.1.254 and select "firewall" and set it to low then click save changes, anything will work when you do this, few examples: football manager, xbox live and all torrent programs

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reidyg

Tried the port fowarding and lowering the firewallbut I'm still experiencing speeds of about 5kb/s. I'v only about 16 seeds, would this be the reason. A normal download i.e. something from filehosts, would give me a 107 kb/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Saruman wrote: »
    Make sure you port forward! http://portforward.com/ pick your router and follow the guide.
    If done right and you have a good torrent, i have downloaded a typical 350mb tv show in under 15 mins, usually its more like an hour or more.

that means your connection usually downloads stuff around 400kb/s mine is only 200 kb/s. the original poster probably doesnt have such a fast connection

• Advertisement

i dont have a clue whats wrong with yours, mine always works like a charm when i set the firewall to low, do you have PnP enabled on the router? go to expert mode> configure> connection and you should see the little box down the bottom, tick the box if its blank

yep, pnp is enabled. could someone with eircom list their utorrent configurations. maybe the probem is there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Perhaps you clicked one of the boxes in the preferences tabs by mistake.

To get back the default settings uninstall utorrent then reinstall. It's a tiny program so that wont take long.

Let us know if this helps.
    Also try Azereus which I've heard good things about although never used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

I've got an Eircom 2MB Eircom connection, and these are my preferences in Utorrent:

Everything ticked under "Listening Port"
    No proxy server
    Maximum upload rate: 16kB/s
    Maximum Download rate: 180kB/s

Hope it helps somehow:cool:

Dregon wrote: »
    I've got an Eircom 2MB Eircom connection, and these are my preferences in Utorrent:

Everything ticked under "Listening Port"
    No proxy server
    Maximum upload rate: 16kB/s
    Maximum Download rate: 180kB/s

Hope it helps somehow:cool:

i have the same package as you, i notice when i set my upload speed any higher than 10kB/s my download speed is throttled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

My download speed has never been throttled because of my upload speed, even when it was set to unlimited:confused:

Have you tried changing the port?
    Also try downloading a legit torrent with lots of seeds as a test.
    Actually the speeds i quoted was a 4mb line in work. At home i am only on 1mb with Perlico so would get much lower speeds, probably at most about the 80 - 90 level.

Looks like I'm having trouble again. Where as before I got utorrent to up to 100 kb/s, lately it won't go past 30 even though there is no slow down in my connection. Is eircom throttling me and if so is there a work around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gimmeabrk07

just do what bloodsugarsex said it works. just remember to put the firewall back to medium after your done. one thing tho is torrents are all dependant on how many seeders there are. example 1 torrent with 50 seeds will probably download at your full d/l speed but a torrent with a couple of seeds will be pretty slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

you dont need to forward any ports with the netopia routers, its a complete waste of time, all you need to do is go to the router homepage http://192.168.1.254 and select "firewall" and set it to low then click save changes, anything will work when you do this, few examples: football manager, xbox live and all torrent programs
    This works for me as well. Good advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

reidyg wrote: »
    Looks like I'm having trouble again. Where as before I got utorrent to up to 100 kb/s, lately it won't go past 30 even though there is no slow down in my connection. Is eircom throttling me and if so is there a work around?
    The biggest tracker on the web was closed not too long ago, chances are some of your torrents are using it.

What gimmeabrk07 said :D
    Its all down to the torrent.. i could start a download at home and it starts off on 0 to 5kbs for a while... then after about 30 mins when i get more seeds it goes up to 80, sometimes just over 100kbs on the 1mb line.
    Thats why i suggested a Legit torrent with lots of seeds as a test.

I stopped using Utorrent as it kept locking up on me. I now use Bitcomet.

I tried loads of torrents. It's definitly being capped by something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

reidyg wrote: »
    I tried loads of torrents. It's definitly being capped by something.
    I'm having no torrent problems. I have Eircom both at home and in the office. You may have tried loads of torrents but if those torrents don't have seeders then you're not going to get any joy regardless of how fast your line is. As others have said, even when you have a few seeders for a torrent, it will probably still be very slow.
    Saruman wrote:
    Thats why i suggested a Legit torrent with lots of seeds as a test.
    Did you try this OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

do you use utorrent?
    do ya have a red, yellow or green icon on the bottom of the screen?
    if red or yellow, you haven't forwards ports or dropped firewall security to low.
    if green then it's the seeders/leechers ratio that's the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

Cheers
    Have been pulling my hair out for days wondering why all the ports appeared to be closed in utorrent speed guide.Lowering the firewall on my router worked a treat.

Advertisement