Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chew Toy for Staffordshire Bull Terrier

• 31-10-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

hi guys, I haven't posted in this forum before, tend to use the motors forum mostly.

I have a new staffordshire bull terrier, around 18-21 months old. He is agile and full of the joys. His companion is our older female (also a staffie, 10 years old).

They love those cotton rope things with the multiple knots, but they're shredded in a day or two. The ropes are not that expensive, but it is starting to add up. If the rope isn't there, his energy just builds up and he ends up driving everyone mad, sometimes chews on furniture in the kitchen when nobody's looking!!!

Is there another type of chew toy we can use instead? (Without going into those so-called unbreakable nylon things, the staffies shatter them and cut their gums up quite badly). Bones are a no-no, also get shattered within seconds.

Incidentally pls don't start talking about weaning him out of it or other behavioral tips, I just want some recommendations for chew toys. Help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Got my dog a hard rubber bone about a year ago. She loves chewing it and its still in one piece.
    I think it was called " The indestructible Bone " and I got it in the Newlands Garden centre.
    It comes well recommended by me and my dog:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sounds good, will look into that! thanks for your input!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yepp ...hard rubber bone or this:

%5Cpedigree%5Cped_ball_with_holes.jpg

still in one piece after seven years of excessive chewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It might be worth buying several things and seeing how they survive I guess!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Kong do a rubber toy for particularly destructive dogs.

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

Here is the site, you can get them in the petshop beside the millenium bridge in Dublin City if you are around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah a friend of mine gets those kong toys for her rotties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Niall06 wrote: »
    Got my dog a hard rubber bone about a year ago. She loves chewing it and its still in one piece.
    I think it was called " The indestructible Bone " and I got it in the Newlands Garden centre.
    It comes well recommended by me and my dog:D

got one of " The indestructible Bone " this time last year and our staffie was finished destroying it in less than day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Hey. My staffie loves them kong toys and they tend to last him a couple months or so anyway. They'd be bout the best option ive found to date. And when he gets sick of them, theres a flavoured paste they do, you can spray a little inside them and its like a new toy all over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

don't forgot to put some goodies in the kong!

Peanut butter was a favourite in my house until my 20 month old daughter discovered that confiscating the kong from our GSD was like taking candy from a baby!

Freeze the kong complete with contents to slow your staffie down when she starts to clear out the kong in no time flat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

fenris wrote: »
    Peanut butter was a favourite in my house

Be careful here, your house can end up looking like a dirty protest. I suggest outdoors or in their bed only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

maoleary wrote: »
    hi guys, I haven't posted in this forum before, tend to use the motors forum mostly.

I have a new staffordshire bull terrier, around 18-21 months old. He is agile and full of the joys. His companion is our older female (also a staffie, 10 years old).

They love those cotton rope things with the multiple knots, but they're shredded in a day or two. The ropes are not that expensive, but it is starting to add up. If the rope isn't there, his energy just builds up and he ends up driving everyone mad, sometimes chews on furniture in the kitchen when nobody's looking!!!

Is there another type of chew toy we can use instead? (Without going into those so-called unbreakable nylon things, the staffies shatter them and cut their gums up quite badly). Bones are a no-no, also get shattered within seconds.

Incidentally pls don't start talking about weaning him out of it or other behavioral tips, I just want some recommendations for chew toys. Help??

Hi, i also have a staffie who i love to bits but his fav chew toy is the large rubber Kong toy, mix some digestives with warm water or milk so its real sticky an fill the toy up, keeps them occupied for hours.

Advertisement