Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your local ?

Options
  • 31-10-2007 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

what is your local pub ?
    not the nearest one that you pop into at least once every fortnight ?
    Can you walk stagger home form it ?
    If you dont' have one in the area why not ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to go to the Bell when I lived in Mulhuddart. Was about 3.5km from my house (about 35 mins walk for me), which wasn't terribly attractive. Usually I'd cycle to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Used to like the Millhouse in Clonee village when I first moved here, the bar at the front was good craic. Went to pot when it was done up, dunno what happened, like everyone disappeared. Now it's closed down.

Went to the Grasshopper regularly after that.

Now I've kids, I've forgotten what the inside of a pub looks like! :D

My nearest local would be that one up beside Spar at Littlepace I suppose, but I don't think much of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I have the dubious honor of living close to "The Hartstown Inn" and "The Mountview Inn". I wouldnt drink in either.

Been to "The Roselawn Inn" a few time's, its plesant enough.

The pub next to me was the "Shanty" in Mulhuddart. Wouldn't drink in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Hellm0 wrote: »

Been to "The Roselawn Inn" a few time's, its plesant enough.

Ah the Cosy Rosie. That used to be my local when I was back home. Lived all of 2 mins away.

Also used to frequent Brady's and The 12th Lock on the Old Navan Road.

Used to get up to The Carpenter and The Barbican quite regularly too and on the odd occasion The Greyhound and maybe Myo's (never liked that place though).

Never really went to Kavanagh's/The Lodge in Laurel Lodge though or The Blanchardstown House in the village (can't remember what it's called now, is it The Vinyard?)

Spoilt for choice I was :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I honestly don't' think that there are that many pubs in the area considering the population.

When the budda bar first opened it was really nice and well furnished it comfy chairs and was a grand spot but then the Blakestown in closed and the place went to hell in a hand basket fast.

The Carpenters and the Consilla inn are nice but tbh they are a bit far to be a local as it were and and I would set foot in the shanty, the greyhound or what was the blanchardstown house.
    While the bell is not that far and on the pus route it is always jammers.
    Well with the hotel due to be finished sometime next year we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Paddock is closest to my house and I drink in now and again to watch a football game but that would be it. Too many children running around it for my liking.

I regulary mix my local between The Bell and Myo's. I drink Guinness so prefer Myo's as always get a good one there.

I can honestly say I have drank in every pub in D.15 and I cannot pick one I prefer. Now that I think of it I have not drank in the new pub in Tyrellstown but heard it was not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

ciaran76 wrote: »
    The Paddock is closest to my house and I drink in now and again to watch a football game but that would be it. Too many children running around it for my liking.

I actually only said the same thing to my GF last sunday when we popped over for a few drinks, (easily the nearest pub to my house in Castaheany) the amount of kids running around after 9pm was quite a suprise to say the least & the racket they made was staggering! Used to think it was an okay spot for a quiet drink or two but it seems to have downhill recently.

For years the Clonsilla Inn was my geographical local and TBH I still enjoy heading down there for a few, The 12th Lock is another decent enough spot for a drink with the GF.

The village Inn in Clonee does a nice pint of Guinness as well come to think of it!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

I live in Clondalkin and I'm About 30second walk from finches...not a bad pub.......sometimes....mostly locals in it though!!!!!!!!!!!Wonder why!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Yes the Village Inn is good for Guinness forgot about that.

Also McDonalds too in the Village but only go in there with an older crowd to be honest.

I think alot of people like the 12th Lock when they go their with their girlfriend/boyfriend its one of those places.

Oh yeah the Paddocks started off as a good pub but in the last year or so it might aswell be a creche !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

The Barbican and Myos are my locals.

I go through phases of which one I go to, if I'm looking for food then always The Barbican.

On a side, did anyone see the coulous Myos has been painted, its HIDEOUS!!!

The 12th lock is very nice. Great food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thaedydal wrote: »
    what is your local pub ?

If you dont' have one in the area why not ?

never had a local, i actually hate the idea of it, nearest pub to me is the Halfway house ( 2 min walk), i have gone there for food plenty of times , but never really at night.

When i was young, Downeys on the cabra road and the Homestead pub were my options, that might be why i hate the idea of a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Stoner wrote: »
    Downeys on the cabra road

Is that the place with no windows? I don't trust pubs without windows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Physically the Halfway house is nearest to me, and its downhill all the way home, which is good when you've a few on you.
    I like the Halfway, it has a nice atmosphere, no kids in the evening (dont go there on sundays though, its a creche!), not too busy or too quiet, no competing with background music, and a decent pint.

However I wouldnt refer to it as my local in terms of it being a regular, as I dont go often enough. I tend to end up in the Strawberry Hall as I play music down there (shameless plug !!) on fairly regularly. Bit of a dump but it has that vague, indescribable thing called 'character' that somehow allows you to ignore the manky loos, rickety furniture and grumpy barmen. Its like a timewarp going in here, it hasnt changed in 20 years.

It looks like there will be some form of bar in Rathborne soon, so that'll become my most 'local' pub when it opens.

Gone to the "Hall" for a few pints in recent times. Not a bad old spot just akward to get to and from. At least they call a taxi for you if you ask nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is that the place with no windows? I don't trust pubs without windows.

I think it might have two windows, the one in cabra west has none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Stark wrote: »
    The pub next to me was the "Shanty" in Mulhuddart. Wouldn't drink in there.

I agree. Made the mistake of going in there once when I first moved to D15. Didn't stay.

12th Lock is good but gets crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My local is the Clonsilla Inn, venture there the odd time when the cans run out. Not the worst spot ever but not amazing either. Usually go to Myo's with the mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sjaakie

we use to go to the grasshopper in clonee, since smoking ban our house is our local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Back home I live two mins from The Carpenter so that's my Friday night spot with a few of the boys. Decent Guinness and they let us stay pretty late after closing.

Football team drank in Kavanagh's but we got sponsored by Barbican so moved down there cause we got free food!

Myo's is the place to be on December 24th though. It's where I see everyone I haven't seen since the previous Christmas Eve. I'll miss it this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Clonsilla always seems to have a nice crowd in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Clonsilla always seems to have a nice crowd in there.

Nice as in big, or as in nice? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

I would have to say the Bell is good on a Friday night, otherwise down to St Brigid's Gaa bar for some Sunday evening pints! No better Guinness to be had in Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Currently my closest "local" would be the halfway house although seeing as all my friends still live in caslteknock the local pubs would be the Lodge (Kavanaghs), Myos, the Barbican, the carpenter, the bell, the 12th lock, the rosie and the greyhound. Have drank in all of them and been a regular a few of them at some point! Although I have to say, I don't think any of them are particulary good pubs! If I'm after a chinwag i usually stay in with some vino or head to a quietish pub in town....way better atmosphere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Pah, no one mentioned St. Perigrines club house. Grand spot. Failing that, the Clon or the Carpenter. The Bell aint too bad either. 12th Lock is grand for food, but a bit poncy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

Does anyone know when the pubs in Ongar will open ? Paddocks has gone to hell of late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

Roselawn till i die,or else the carpenter cause i smoke and i love the 12th locke although i was barred for ages,now i am back cause i have a new hairdo and the d1ck doesnt recognise me

Beechman wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the pubs in Ongar will open ? Paddocks has gone to hell of late!

From what I heard the pub in Ongar wont happen until the Landlord lowers his rent for the place. I think at this stage it wont happen as pubs are not making the money they used to.

Also have to agree on The Paddocks possibly one of the worst pubs in D.15 at the moment the amount of children running around inside of it is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Beechman wrote: »

They're very slow to open, dunno what's going on. That big building facing the square in front of the main street is supposed to be a pub, but nothing seems to have happened for ages.

As for the Paddocks - some of the crowd in there seem a bit on the rough side. Any time I've been up at the shops, there's been plenty of mouthy types outside smoking. I give it a wide berth.

Advertisement