Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wizard say girls not allowed

Options
  • 31-10-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Jumping on the Marvel band wagon - Wizard now seems to think comics are a male only domain. The new issue proclaims its self “The #1 Men’s Pop-Culture Magazine!” and includes the wonderful match the rack feature. Well done Wizard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Looks more like Wizard are changing direction to a more Maxim or FHM route. You wouldnt strike me as a Wizard reader anyway?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought you had to submit to tests and prove you had less than 100 working braincells to qualify as a Wizard reader...

Frankly, I can't wait for Wizard to go the way of Melody Maker - ie by both circumstance and their own rubbish management, becoming ultimately irrelevant to their target audience and going out of business. I doubt it will lead to more informed fans, but it'd be nice not to have a well-known print magazine about comics that disseminates outmoded and stereotyped preconceptions about comics fans. On the other hand, film fans have to put up with Empire, so maybe I'm being overly optimistic here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

bombidol wrote: »
    You wouldnt strike me as a Wizard reader anyway?

Actually I have ever issue from about mid 1997 till mid 2006. Same goes for the comics journal and pile of other related magazines.

Fysh wrote: »
    On the other hand, film fans have to put up with Empire, so maybe I'm being overly optimistic here...

there's another magazine I've got a massive collection of sitting in my mums attic. I really am a sucker for buying all these things.

Wizard has had its moments over the years [random letters from Waren Ellis always a highlight and fantasy movie castings] but recently it has become more and more out of thouch with whats happening in comics - alot has to do with the big increase in blogs for people to get their comic news, by the time Wizard would come out it wouldn't be news anymore. Their how to draw section was always a laugh but not for the reasons they wanted - I wish I could find the livejournal with the pisstakes of them - and the occasional decent Wizard half issue but I think I picked it up on auto pilot for awhile before I finally said enough and stopped.

Dear Wizard stop being lame Dean Trippe writes a letter to Wizard

Some cynical (or perhaps more perceptive) comics fans will say this happened long before I'd finally admit it, and they may be right. But with this newest controversy (and there have been plenty), I'm finally throwing in the towel.

Pretty much sums up my veiw of the mag cept I threw in the towel over a year ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement