Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get kitten neutered

Options
  • 31-10-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

I have a 6 month old male kitten
    can anyone suggest where i can get him neutered and how much it costs
    cheers
    Roughan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, The vet which gave him his shots will either do it or know where you can get it done. As far as I know mosts vets do it. I got my tom done about 4 years ago and as far as I remember it was about €80 and had hardly any effect on him. He was home that evening happy as larry. (For a girl it's a much bigger op).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

60-70 Euros is what were paying at the moment in Limerick.
    Theres 14-15 cats that we feed and last night we got the last
    of the females done. Unfortunately she landed 4 new kittens at our
    back door the about a week or two ago.

The feral mother we feed which produced 3 litters this year finally
    was caught. we were told 1 tranq table in some food would make her
    drowsy but 2.5 tablets and 2 hours later she was still stuck to the ceiling.
    She gave the vet an awful time. And it took her all night to become
    fully awake. we had her in a dog cage to give he a bit or rest and peace
    but she paniced and stuck her head between the bars and nearly choked
    herself. Now all is well shes out and about and cant breed anymore.

Just her 4 kittens to tend too and eventually the other males.
    (as there are now no fertile females in the vacinity were less
    concerned about the males)

Its a crying shame that there are schemes where you can get
    your dog done for free but nothing at all for cats.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Slightly off topic but what are the reasons for neutering a male kitten and what effect (if any) will the lack of testorone have on his behaviour when he is older?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Wreck wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but what are the reasons for neutering a male kitten and what effect (if any) will the lack of testorone have on his behaviour when he is older?

The main reason we neutered our Tom was due to him roaming after all the sexy girls outside! Also he was spraying inside the house instead of using the litter.

Since he has been neutered he is really more docile and a lot more affectionate towards us as he is less interested in getting outside. He was not as active for a while but since we got a new kitten she is keeping him on his toes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I definitely does effect them, it reduces the likelihood that the cat will start spraying indoors, they won't roam as much (well, obviously if they are outdoor cats they will, the won't roam far and wide during breeding season though). Therefore they are less likely to fight, become injured on the road, or possibly contract FIV, commonly spread through saliva of infected cats (cat bites).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Less likely to get urinary tract problems too when they're neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

They become big lovable dopes! Any males we've had pile on the pounds though
    and become more friendly.
    I have not noticed any behavior changes to females that we got done.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sticking with the "Off Topic" :)

Male cats are usually neutered for a number of reasons as pointed out above.

1. They don't tend to leave their mark behind.
    2. They become more homely and don't disappear for days while chasing some pussy.;)
    3. Less risk of infections (urinary tract) and no risk of testicular cancer anymore and also no chance of STDs (yes, cats get them too.)

Downside (if it is a downside). They tend to put on excess weight.

Advertisement