Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a domain in a home network

Options
  • 31-10-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Have a basic network set up at home with 2 desktop machines and my laptop

I've been messing around with user accounts and whatnot, and was wondering is it possible to setup a networking "domain" on my network without actually having to setup a server on the network.

Any help appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Domains require domain servers. The typical home "equivalent" is the Workgroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

As above. In order to have a domain you must have a domain server. This allows centralised control from one computer. If you are not connected to a domain, then you are part of a workgroup.

If you go to system in the control panel and go to the computer name tab, you will see that you have to choose either domain or workgroup. AFAIK the default name for workgroups in XP is MSHOME.

For most home situations, a server is unnecessary. Some do set them up but usually for specific reasons.
    What are you trying to do exactly? You could get server 2003 and set up a domain.

Advertisement