Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband 3Mb

Options
  • 31-10-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,

I've just upgraded my BT Broadband from 2Mb to 3 Mb. They have told me that the upgrade is complete, however when I check www.speedtest.ie or www.speedtest.net, my download speed is just under 2Mb. When I checked my router it shows a 3Mb connection:
    DSL Status: Up
    DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
    DSL Path Mode: FAST
    Downstream Rate: 3488 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps

Downstream Margin: 31 db
    Upstream Margin: 28 db
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 8
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 3
    Downstream Transmit Power: 0
    Upstream Transmit Power: 0

I'm confused, does anyone know what to make of all this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Hi,

I've just upgraded my BT Broadband from 2Mb to 3 Mb. They have told me that the upgrade is complete, however when I check www.speedtest.ie or www.speedtest.net, my download speed is just under 2Mb. When I checked my router it shows a 3Mb connection:

Speedtest can be wrong....

Try downloading on rapidshare or something and see do you get 300kb download speed...If you do its being activated

My Speed is
    3072/384 (kbps)

On the 3mb bt package,yours at 3488/448 (Kbps) is much faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Hi,

I never use Speedtest.net and either do BT.

If you try url.ie/qv and save it to your desktop and post up what the transfer rate is after say 30 seconds, this is a file bt have uploaded for speedtest's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 IncredibleBulk

Thanks for the replies, I've tried url.ie/qv and I'm getting a transfer rate of 253KB/Sec, but I was getting up to 223KB/Sec before the upgrade.... (See screenshots) So what now, I wonder......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Thanks for the replies, I've tried url.ie/qv and I'm getting a transfer rate of 253KB/Sec, but I was getting up to 223KB/Sec before the upgrade.... (See screenshots) So what now, I wonder......?

I just had a look at your screen shots and its still downloading at 2MB. I would expect to see it at least 300KB/Sec. I would contact BT and see what they have to do, but before you do, disconnect all your phone sockets and connect your BB to the main socket and do one last speedtest and if its 300KB/sec then it could be a fault on your phoneline. If you have sky or a alarm on your phoneline make sure you have spilt the lines by using a spilter and the same for all other phone sockets where you have a phone connected to.

It's actually a dedicated line for broadband, but I've tried it with and without the microfilter and no joy. I think BT may be telling porkies that they have upgraded the line. I've been hounding them since August to get this upgrade done, so they might be trying to shut me up....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The router tells you the truth, namely that its configred for 3mbits at least .

What do your LINE STATS tell you ???

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The router tells you the truth, namely that its configred for 3mbits at least .

What do your LINE STATS tell you ???

Sponge Bob,

Where would I find LINE STATS???

Advertisement