Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About SkyBet

Options
  • 31-10-2007 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,

Does anyone know if I'd have to pay taxes if I bet/win online with SkyBet?
    Also, are they good and reliable? Basically, any reasons why I should stay away from them?

Thanks in advance,

Salem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

No taxation involved, but your stakes will be knocked back to 'fun' levels if you back 2 winners in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salem BRS

Thanks telecaster.
    What do you mean by "knocked back to 'fun' levels"?
    Thanks

Salem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Basically, telecaster is talking bollocks (to an extent).

Your betting experience with skybet is not taxed, so do as much or as little as you want.

Telecaster is trying to portray that if you have two winning bets in a row, then the Skybet traders will limit the amount you are allowed stake.
    It is to an extent common practice, but telecaster just wants to get the boot in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭JonnyC

Why would you want to use Skybet. i can not for the life of me understand why anyone in there right mind would use a traditional bookmaker over a betting exchange. 99% of the time you will get better odds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

JonnyC wrote: »
    Why would you want to use Skybet. i can not for the life of me understand why anyone in there right mind would use a traditional bookmaker over a betting exchange. 99% of the time you will get better odds there.

And the other 1% you don't. "Traditional" bookies also offer different markets to exchanges, particularly on sports like snooker, darts, rugby league etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I had an account with SkyBet before purely because of a free bet sign up offer which I won. There odds were usually pretty poor compared to other bookies. Just had a look at Oddschecker for some of todays horse races and weekend premiership prices to confirm this is still the case and it most definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Healio wrote: »
    Basically, telecaster is talking bollocks (to an extent).

Your betting experience with skybet is not taxed, so do as much or as little as you want.

Telecaster is trying to portray that if you have two winning bets in a row, then the Skybet traders will limit the amount you are allowed stake.
    It is to an extent common practice, but telecaster just wants to get the boot in.

getting the boot in admittedly, but hardly talking bollocks

I have bet with all the UK & Irish firms and found Bet365 and skybet the least willing to accomodate 3 figure bets after you've had a few winners. The restrictions from most firms are at least reasonable and they will let have maybe Eur50 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

telecaster wrote: »
    getting the boot in admittedly, but hardly talking bollocks

I have bet with all the UK & Irish firms and found Bet365 and skybet the least willing to accomodate 3 figure bets after you've had a few winners. The restrictions from most firms are at least reasonable and they will let have maybe Eur50 or so.

Sorry man. i may have gone a bit over the top, im just trying to portray to the new punters among us that they wont automatically get refused bets.

P.S. if your getting knocked back, fair play!! You ust be doing something right. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salem BRS

Thanks for the feedback guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

Dodge wrote: »
    And the other 1% you don't. "Traditional" bookies also offer different markets to exchanges, particularly on sports like snooker, darts, rugby league etc

In my opinion , if your going to have a Betfair account , then you absolutely MUST have an account with the bookmakers. It's bread and butter for the arb'ers.

there's enough buffoons on betfair and enough negligence from bookies to earn you a nice wage imo,....... its all in running.

e.g. Boxing last night , the 6/1 underdog floored the opponent 2wice and was winning hands down ,.... people were backing the "underdog" @ 1.35 on betfair , at the same time Boyles were offering 2.75,.... maybe just balancing their books, but free money never the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

skybet are a pathetic outfit. they dont like laying any decent sized bets, unless you are betting very small amounts stay away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

k101 wrote: »
    skybet are a pathetic outfit. they dont like laying any decent sized bets, unless you are betting very small amounts stay away from them

Bet365 are a bit like that too. I'd recommend Pinnacle and Expekt. Have been placing some big wagers there recently (for arbing purposes) and have not had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

Skybet also charge a fortune (up to €40) for bank transfers back to your acccount ie. If you are using a mastercard you can only get winnings paid into your bank account.

Advertisement