Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of repair??

Options
  • 31-10-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

So was pulling out at a round-about this evening, guy in honda civic type r('98)
    was ahead of me ,anyhow make things short i ran into the back of him,

Totally my fault was looking to my right and assumed he had pulled off!
    The impact was so small I barely felt it in my car (passat), pulled over anyways
    and got out to check if there was any damage,

to my disbelief his back bumper was badly dented in the center, could'nt believe what i was seeing ,not even a scratch on my car.
    So decided to leave insurance out of the matter, and said ill foot the bill,
    now in my opinon the bumper looked like it could easily be pushed back out again.
    so just wondering if anybody out there knows what kinda of bill I'm looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Impossible to say without pics, tbh. And even then there's the possibility of further damage behind his bumper. Have him get an estimate first and then decide whether or not to have the insurers involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

you could be looking at a really large bill there mate,. Running into the back of him could have crushed the spare wheel well and thats gonna be a pricey repair., It can be beaten back out but the likelyhood of the owner accepting that is very low as the car is obviously worth a lot of money and it would effect the resale value., I had someone run into the back of my 2004 civic but that held up pretty well compared, nowadays there far stronger than they used to be.,
    If I were you Id tell him to get a quote to have it repaired and see what you think then, keep in mind that he is still open to claiming your insurance for personal injury, I let the guy that crashed into me pay the repair bill and not long after I developed severe neck pain and headaches but was too late to do anything about it., As long as hes ok your better off keeping him sweet.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

vtec wrote: »
    not long after I developed severe neck pain and headaches but was too late to do anything about it., As long as hes ok your better off keeping him sweet.,

No expert on the law but i was under the impression you had 2 years to make a claim. If you got his details that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Hope this don't turn nasty for ya and you end up with a medical bill as well as a car repair bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

oleras wrote: »
    No expert on the law but i was under the impression you had 2 years to make a claim. If you got his details that is.

If he had lawyer or insurance company on board he would have the poster sign a letter accepting "full and final payment" or some such. Essentially limiting his liability for further claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I dont think i made it clear as to how small this impact was ,seriously unless that car is made of paper theres definetly no chasis damage, as for personal injury claim come on, i mean i've seen worse collisons in the car park of tescos.
    The damage that was done was totally superfical, replacement bumper at the very worst.
    My car was at a standstill ,i had'nt let the clutch up fully when the collision happened so estimate the speed from that.
    Anyways will wait to here back from the guy today hopefully i don't get stung,
    couple of hundred i'm hopeing.
    thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

U sure it wasn't damaged before you hit him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I was just thinking that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Firstly; I thought you were never meant to admit liability. If I'm ever in an accident, and touch wood I havent yet been; even if its blatantly obvious I'm at fault I wont admit it - it says so in your insurance guidelines; and if you're driving on a company policy this is the protocol to take.

You should've said he rolled back into you; or denied hitting him at all... gust of wind made his car move forward =)

Also, if the bump was as light as you say I too would be wary of the bumper having been already damaged.

Finally, I don't think bumpers can be pushed back out too often, the platic defroms and elongates where it bends so its quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, good luck with proving that...

As for the cost, bumpers can be expensive yokes. My girlfriends's Mazda 6 got hit while it was parked at work. Luckly the other driver rang around the office to find and tell her, and ended up haveing to fork out 950 Euro for a new back bumper, sprayed and fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

i know the very same thing crossed my mind there last night,I could'nt believe
    he had'nt pulled off when I hit him ,,the road was totally clear......this is begining to sound dodgy,,
    Cheeky basta@d if he did, funny though he didnt take any details off
    me only phone no. ,As far as i remember he did'nt even take my reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tails142 wrote: »
    Firstly; I thought you were never meant to admit liability. [...]
    You should've said he rolled back into you; or denied hitting him at all... gust of wind made his car move forward =)

There's a big difference between not admitting liability and blatantly lying! :eek:

Advertisement