Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

News just in that the 2010 Curragh show will be on Sunday May 9th from 10am. Thats about it.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Thanks Tom for listing the counties covered,its good to see that these men and women are been remembered,just a thought but wouldn't it be great if all 32 counties were done and combined to make a much more comprehensive detailed list of the war dead of Ireland during the Great War,a lot been researched with photos,medal entitlements and so on been put on cd-rom,I wonder would there be a demand for something like that?

Irelands Memorial Records tried that and failed miserably in the 20's. No-one could question them. Your idea has a lot of merit as a soldier may be in a book of a few counties for various reasons so to sort all this out, the Country needs one single list of the men before such a project be taken on. In order to compile this list each county must be done indiividually. Then and only then can you put them all together. Irelands memorial Records indicates 49,600 Irishmen died in ww1, I reckon there is more. Soldiers died in the Great War CD from Naval and Military Press will cost you over £300 and and Vat at 21% as far as I remember. Ireland had men who died in other armies and navies as well and this would also have to be covered in such a project.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

enfeild wrote: »
    Soldiers died in the Great War CD from Naval and Military Press will cost you over £300 and and Vat at 21% as far as I remember. Ireland had men who died in other armies and navies as well and this would also have to be covered in such a project.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Can be had for free through third level history depts. and the likes.
    Pretty sure where I'm studying has free access to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

feel free to share it if your allowed.

• Advertisement

enfeild wrote: »
    Irelands Memorial Records tried that and failed miserably in the 20's. No-one could question them. Your idea has a lot of merit as a soldier may be in a book of a few counties for various reasons so to sort all this out, the Country needs one single list of the men before such a project be taken on. In order to compile this list each county must be done indiividually. Then and only then can you put them all together. Irelands memorial Records indicates 49,600 Irishmen died in ww1, I reckon there is more. Soldiers died in the Great War CD from Naval and Military Press will cost you over £300 and and Vat at 21% as far as I remember. Ireland had men who died in other armies and navies as well and this would also have to be covered in such a project.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    Still it would be great to see such a list completely updated and modernised,I've noticed a few errors on the Irish War Memorials cd with names and numbers,I know it was compiled along time ago but it could do with been updated,I must pick up the SDGW cd at some point,have they a new version of this out?

The third version (post VISTA) has been out over a year now. You should be able to access it and Irelands memorial records free at your local library. Chack that the library has updated their SDGW CD rom, most have not as it is not used that much.
    regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 winterchickens

Just heard about the Munster Militaria Fair in Cork;-
    ..........'The venue is the same, The Gresham Metropole Hotel, McCurtain Street, Cork, but this time we'll be using the large ball room to ensure plenty of space for all. This time part of the room will be set aside as a cafe where tea and sandwiches will be served to traders and the public. This time we will also have separate display areas for re-enactors and groups.'

The fairs in the North Star Hotel will be on
    Saturday February 20th
    Saturday May 15th
    Saturday June 26th in the Old School, Gorey, Co. Wexford
    Saturday August 14th
    Saturday November 13th

The next Teachers Club fair will be from noon March 6th. Their annual auction date will be October 16th.
    Duncannon Show will be on June 4th 5th 6th , Fri , Sat ,Sunday. Run by the MMVRG.
    The Curragh Show is on Sun 9th May at the Curragh Race Course and will be open to the public from 10am to 6ish.
    More info as it becomes available.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I forgot to add that the Munster Militaria fair is on 3rd of April.
    Signed 'a winterchicken.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hi Tom - have you changed usernames again ?

Different username, same fella. Still me though.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

winterchickens,whats all that about then?,on the the topic of the War dead books I have discovered that Sligo is also covered but out of print with a couple of copies going around at crazy prices.Thanks Tom for the info regarding the upcoming events and finally Cork coming around once more.

Thanks Arnhem. I messed up my username by deleting cookies during discclean and forgot the password etc. WAAAAYYYYY to complicated for me to start a new one. The winterchickens thing is I was looking to start a band for the over fifties, i.e. no spring chickens....get it?
    Anyway here are the books about the Irish ww1 war dead so far. The Kerry one is having a new version with more information that will soon be pubished. However there will be an online database set up giving the particulares on the 700 Kerrymen who died in ww1 soon possibly aligned with the Tralee Library site.

Carlow Follow Them up from Carlow. Maguire, Paul. Naas, Leinster Leader, 2002.
    ISBN -

Donegal Donegal, Ireland and the First World War. McGinley, Niall. Letterkenny, An Crann, 2005
    ISBN –

Donegal County Donegal Book of Honour. Dublin(?), Co. Donegal Book of Honour Committee, 2002.
    ISBN -

Dublin Dublin City & County Book of Honour. Dublin, National Book of Honour Committee. N/D.
    ISBN -

Galway Galway and the Great War. Henry, William. Cork, Mercier, 2006.
    ISBN 978 1 85635 5247

Galway Forgotten Heroes. Galway soldiers of the Great War. Henry, William. Cork, Mercier, 2006.
    ISBN 978 1 85635 556 8

Kerry The Kingdom in the Empire. A Portrait of Kerry during World War I. Martin, Thomas F. Dublin, Nonsuch, 2006.
    ISBN 978 1 84588 565 6

Kildare Far from the Short Grass. The story of Kildare men in two world wars. Durney, James. Naas, Leinster Leader, 1999.
    ISBN 0 9530521 2 5/3

Limerick The Widow’s Penny. McNamara, Patrick J. Parteen, Privately published, 2000.
    ISBN –

Limerick Their Name Liveth for Evermore. The Memorial Record of Limerick Casualties of World War II. McNamara, Patrick J. Parteen, Limerick Historical Publications, 2006.
    ISBN 978 0 9554386 0 8

Louth The Unreturned Army. County Louth Dead in the Great War. Hall, Donal. Dundalk, Dundalgan, 2005.
    ISBN0 9521456 4 2

Mayo Mayo Comrades of the Great War. Clarke, P. J. & Feeney, Michael. Ballina, Padraig Corcoran, 2006.
    ISBN 0 9554368 0 X

Sligo Sligo Men in the Great War. McGuinn, James. Belturbet, Naughan, 1994.
    ISBN 0 9524841 0 2

Tipperary The Tipperary War Dead. Burnell, Tom & Ruth. Dublin, Nonsuch, 2008.
    ISBN 978 1 84588 938 8

Wicklow The Wicklow War Dead. Burnell, Tom & Seamus. Dublin, Nonsuch, 2009,
    ISBN 978 1 8458 8949 4

Wexford War Dead, by Tom Burnell and Margaret Gilbert, also by Nonsuch
    I forgot to mention that the earlier version of the Sligo men who died in ww1 is available for free download on the net somewheres, I downloaded it awhile ago. The Roscommon war dead is also availbale for free download. Stick out a google search and you will find it. They are not great but what the 'eck, they're free.
    Search for Sligo 1914-1921
    and
    Roscommon soldierw hwo died in World War 1 (it only cover 4 regiments though but like the Sligo one its free.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I think I may need a bigger shelf,lol.Tom can you tell me is the Wexford book in the shops or still with the publishers,my bookshop still hasn't it got in for me

The Wexford book has been available since December. You can get it in Easons or from your local bookshop if you ask them to order it for you. Published by Nonsuch and distributed by Gill and McMillan. Plan B would be to arrange a loan of a copy from your local library
    Regards.
    Tom.

thanks Tom,its been ordered since the day of your book launch in Wexford so I don't know what seems to be the delay,my bookshop normally has a book in for me within a week from been ordered,I also have the Guinness Roll of Honour ordered since last Saturday so hopefully its not something with her supplier.If all else fails its a trip to Eason's for me.Thanks for clearing that up.

I could post you one but did you know its 7 euro to post a book in this country and I would not inflict that on anyone.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

So you want to see what Duncannon is like do ye?
    Enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzo2qj8e2YE

Tom - just to let you know 'Wexford War dead' also gets a mention in this months History Ireland magazine.

Thanks Morlar, is that an online mag? Can you post a link please?
    I have just found out;-
    The first IMCC fair of 2010 will take place on Saturday Feb 20th in the North Star Hotel Amiens Street Dublin 1 from 10am -3pm. Admission is now €4.

So they finally copped on that the door price was too much.
    Regards.
    Tom

Hi Tom,

It's a bi-monthly print magazine which has in-depth articles on various aspects of Irish history. Well worth checking out in my opinion. I should say - the book is mentioned in passing along with several others - it is not a full review (though it should be imo).

Here is their website

http://www.historyireland.com/

I couldn't see your book mentioned online there so I will photo the print article and upload a JPEG later. PS It's the January/February edition I am referring to - in easons @€;7

Cheers,

• Advertisement

Thanks Morlar, I look forward to the jpeg.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Hi Tom - here ya go

attachment.php?attachmentid=104075&d=1265051677

attachment.php?attachmentid=104078&d=1265051744

Thank you Morlar.
    I love it.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

From the MVCI, just in;-
    'Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to move the Curragh Show from Sat 8th and Sun 9th May to the following weekend Sat 15th and Sun 16th May 2010. Otherwise no changes in the format etc.
    The change is due to the fact that there is a Mini Marathon on the 9th and the main road to the Race Course is being closed for several hours to allow the runners to pass through the area.'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Garry O Brien

Hello, just a quick update on the show, you can visit our site at http://munstermilitariafairs.com/
    or view the info below.
    Thanks for your time,
    Garry.
    Next Munster Militaria Fair on April 3, 2010
    Many thanks to all the visitors and traders who attended in November and helped to make the first militaria fair in Cork such a big success. There was a great display of medals, uniforms, insignia, medieval armour, and some very interesting exhibits all around.

The next fair is scheduled for Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 at the same location, i.e. the Metropole Hotel, MacCurtain Street, Cork City, but due to the large numbers who attended in November the fair will be held in the larger Ballroom venue at the Metropole. Opening hours for the public will be 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Traders can set up displays from 8:00 a.m. on the day, or on Friday evening the 2nd of April from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Public Admission: €2.00
    Children under 12: free

Tables (6′ by 2.5′ approx) for traders are again priced at €20, or two tables for €30. If you would like to participate, either as a trader or to represent a re-enactment group, then please contact us for more information. All are most welcome.

Hope to see you all again soon.
    For Dealer/Exhibitor Booking please contact Gary O'Brien on 086 873 1497 or harp1@eircom.net
    OR
    Martin McAree on 087 678 0133 or nerva@romanarmy.ie
    Con O'Sullivan on 087 922 2433 or conosullivan@mail.com

The next Teachers Club fair will be from noon March 6th.

Hi Tom - have you heard anymore about this ? Is this still on for this saturday from noon ?

Hello Morlar.
    Yes it is on, Do you fancy taking a table?
    Regards.
    Tom.

Hi Tom, I am not a dealer so no table for me! Will more than likely go along to it though. The last north star one was pretty good so hopefully this one will continue that trend :)

Well Morlar, what was the fair like?
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

I ended up going to photograph a medal and ribbon bar collection afterwards and so just got home now. The fair was smaller than north star - attendance was lower too. There were a mix of the usual dealers. I picked up 2 x SS photos for €5 which was not bad. One english dealer had about 3 or 4 breadboards of medals on sale, one of the boards must have had about 100 medals and they were all shiney new looking. I heard they were dipped in some kind of silver like covering - it was pretty sad - the entire lot of WWI medals were coated with this crap to make them look minty new. Other than that he actually had some fantastic Irish related groupings. Some NI/english dealers need to check the exchange rate once in a decade. I saw some offering items at £100 or €150 - and it got worse for higher priced items. There were a lot of Irish army publications from WW2 going cheap - If I had had more cash on me I probably would have went for them too. There were also some nice Easter Rising aftermath postcards but they were too pricey.

Advertisement