Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Hope you're recovering well after carousing in Duncannon. :pac:

There's a pic taken at Duncannon on this thread. (First pic on page).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

There is a militaria show with vehicles and more weapons than you can shake a stick at this weekend in Mosney Co Meath. You can handle them also. Run by Caffreys Army and supported by the MVCI. Its Just south of Drogheda, just off the M1. I will not be at it so cannot post pictures.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Dont forget there is a fair on Saturday in the Teachers club in Dublin at 12 noon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Does anyone know how many stands there will be (ie will there be much of a selection )? Also what are the prices at these teachers-club events likely to be like ?

• Advertisement

The last time it was 2 euro in bu they may have gone the same as the other one and up it. Prices are what prices are depending on what you are after. Its mainly a medal fair as its run by the Medal club but there is always other militaria there and their prices are usually less than the North Star fair. There are not a lot of tables at this one though and it starts at noon. I have never seen inert, de-activated weapons or bb guns at the Teachers Club fair but have often picked up a few other non-weapon interesting pieces. The guys who do this fair do not attend the North Star fair so you have a different lot of dealers.
    Regards.
    Tom.

enfield wrote: »
    The last time it was 2 euro in bu they may have gone the same as the other one and up it. Prices are what prices are depending on what you are after. Its mainly a medal fair as its run by the Medal club but there is always other militaria there and their prices are usually less than the North Star fair.

Its mostly medals I would be after this time - & documents and photos etc

I was wondering how the medal prices would compare to high street shop prices or internet prices - are you likely to pick something up cheaply ?

I will probably head along either way but just curious about what to expect in advance (not being familiar with either this or the white star one).

(PS It's €2 again this year going by the buy and sell advert.)

One medal dealer there www.Military-Medals-Online.com has his medals online but they are not cheap by any reckoning. He will have a lot there on the day but not them all. I have never come across a cheap Irish medal. There will also be other dealers there selling militaria and medals. Regarding medal prices I found better value on ebay. You can haggle of course and hold them in your hand and inspect them which is something you cannot do on ebay. I am not sure what medal prices are like in shops as I rarely found a shop that sells them except the sweet shop in North Frederick Street beside Waltons and he rarely has anything special. 100 yards above that there is yesteryear run by Cyril Wall. He sell re-strikes of the early Irish badges and sometimes has medals. He has lots of other stuff but prices are not cheap. These three places are all within a few minutes walk of each other and worth a visit.
    Regards.
    Tom.

By a coincidence I had come across Peter Sheens site the other day and so was aware of those prices in his pdf list. Re shops cheers for the info. There are a few others too; one in Georgian arcade, and another in powerscourt arcade both have ww2 medals & militaria for sale too but as ever neither is particularly cheap.

I counted six dealers there and two euro on the door. One new dealer who sells repro German and British stuff from both world wars was also there and he is new to this fair. There was very little to interest me there today I have to admit.
    There will be a Landrover /Vintage rally in Charleville three Saturdays from now and it also goes on on Sunday. There will be some militaria for sale at that also and some military vehicles will attend. I am not sure if there is a cover charge or not.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Was at this earlier, got there just before 12 and overall . . . pretty dissapointing (in terms of medals at least). Prices were better than shop prices but not as good as internet prices but the selection was pretty limited. There were about 6 or 7 dealers in all. Peter sheen did not bring any boxed items so it was all loose medals.

Noteable items on offer were a not great conditioned third reich SA dagger for 325 that probably could have been got for 310. An unmottoed HJ knife that sold for 120.

One dealer also had a couple of luftwaffe daggers - one v cheap as missing a swastika and one regiment marked one that was more expensive. Re edged weapons another dealer had several czech and brazilian bayonets circa 1910 quite cheap Another dealer sold only repro stuff for re-enactors.

I ended up getting some paper work & loose photos (9 of the same candidate going through a luftwaffe training camp - including ground based training in firing a bomber MG turret.

Also a french campaign based German troppers 205 photo album (including downed spitfires & raf bombers, also a German ground crew repairing a raf fighter. About 10 panzer unit pictures, armoured columns sweeping across the french country side and lots of maginot line and so on.

Other notable ones are wiped out villages, prisoners, killed or captured french algerian army (also a distressed looking one sobbing on the ground) - lots of monuments in towns across france and many of German troops at the maginot line ww1 memorial & graveyard for WW1 dead. Also several parade bands and some sort of ceremony for officers. Was happy enough with the combined paperwork and loose photo & photo album prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I would say one thing about medals,having collected medals now for a few years the prices seem to be always getting dearer and dearer,maybe with the internet alot of the medals that are coming onto the market are most likely been bought up by collectors now and most likely wont be sold again for some time,I would guess before the internet came about dealers would of had a lot more to offer at fairs and shows,the problem with auction sites is you have people driving the prices up bidding against each other,still as Tom has said and I've said myself before,you still can't beat having it in your hand to check over first.On other matters that photo album sounds really interesting,sounds like some really good snaps in there and sounds like a really nice find.On the subject of rallys and fairs,Tom have you been to the Charlivelle show before and if so would it be worth a visit and then the Kinsale show thats not far from here,would that be worth taking a trip to??,also Tom some great photos of the Dungannon event,sounds like a great day.

There will be one guy at the Charleville rally that will be selling mostly Irish Army stuff but no medals to speak of. You might see a Lebanon medal or two but thats probaly your lot. Salute clashes with the Kinsale show. Kinslae is run by the Pards and 19th century re-enactment group run by a Finglas Garda. Myslef and the other vehicle owner that lives close to me are considering which one to do. We will decide on it today after we thrash out the pro's and con's at the Vintage rally on the Two Mile Boris road out of Thurles. I know that Salute will probably beat the Curragh for Vehicles and re-enactment this year but a hell of a drive in a 50 year old truck with no power steering and steel bucket seats.I just thought I would add that one reason I went to the Teachers Club fair was to trade a Mercantile medal to a Lusitania casualty. I was then offered a fistful of beans but was assured they would grow into a huge beanstalk and there was a goose up on the top that did a great trick with a golden egg.
    I am a bit long in the tooth for that ould tosh. Thats why you have to hold it ( what ever it is) in your hand and NEVER buy a story unless its backed up with legimate paperwork.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Thanks Tom,Charleville may be given a miss then,Kinsale is only twenty minutes from here and I think might be a better option.Your medal sounds interesting,the medal dealer I mainly buy from in England Had a British War Medal with a name that matched a casualty on the Lusitania but advised me before the auction began that he had no paperwork to back it up,as with all the civilian medals from ww1 there was only a name of the reciepient on the edge and rarely carried any other engravings so as you said unless your buying something that has plenty of research and definate paperwork to back them up then you could end up with any old medal,even the older medals were filed down and renamed in alot of cases,times were hard and silver brought money in and I've seen in some cases that the engraving on some of these don't match the records

The Kinsdale show does not seem to have any militaria stalls known to me but I have been wrong in the past.
    Regards.
    Tom.

The Kinsdale show does not seem to have any militaria stalls known to me but I have been wrong in the past.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    Thanks Tom,that is a pity but I guess a day out all the same,I went to a local agri show today(no interest in this),just browsing around and came across a guy selling books,picked up a couple of nice reading bits all for twenty euro,Ireland and the Crimean war,forgotten heros(Galway soldiers of the great war),Ireland and the Battle of the Atlantic 40-41(the storm passed by)and Commando(ww2),you never know what you'll find sometimes:)

You did well with the books. If you do go to Kinsale please write about it on this forum and I will do the same for Salute.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I have always found this site very user friendly and does not have the restrictions imposed on ebay by ebay.
    Enjoy.
    www.speedbid.com

Regards.
    Tom.

You did well with the books. If you do go to Kinsale please write about it on this forum and I will do the same for Salute.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    Hi Tom, will do if I make it there:)

Thers an agricultural show in Ballyhea south of Charleville in Cork tommorrow and Sunday opposite Lidl. Its supposed to be a huge thing. There will be a few Military vehicles and at least one guy (not me) selling militaria there. We are heading down tonight to settle in. The forecast says its gonna be a wet one but I hope the weather holds. So we may sleep in the truck and not bother pitching tents. I'll let ye know if I picked up anything military.
    Have a good one.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

I forgot to add that there is a military vehile display in Enniscorthy on Sunday and a Militaria fair run by the IMCC (Irish Militaria Collectors Club) in Gorey on Saturday, both venues are in Wexford.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Tom, great job, well done! You are keeping the Events alive here and it is really good to see the local Irish events going strong. Keep it up! :)

PS: At some stage I will remove the older (out-of-date) events posts but have to find time for it first :o

Not a bother, if something comes up I will post it here. Two weeks from now I am driving my baby to the War and Peace show in Beltring Kent. Its a 450km drive from Anglesea but great fun. Costs 25 pounds entry for the week and camping is free for me as a displayer. I'll get either burnt or drowned but fun fun fun all the way.
    Regards.
    Tom.

a Militaria fair run by the IMCC (Irish Militaria Collectors Club) in Gorey on Saturday, both venues are in Wexford.
    Tom.

Hi thanks for the info, I may be down there this weekend so this is handy.

After googling this I could find a bit more info :
    http://livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=252

Just to let everybody know that there will be a militaria fair in Christ Church Old School, Gorey, Co. Wexford on Saturday June 28th from 10am-3pm. Admission is €5

All are welcome and there will be lots of traders there.

Yeah that was posted by Mark Hayden who is an Anglican Minister in Gorey. A very nice fella and used to be a Catholic Priest. He wrote the book 'German Ribbon Bars' and should be there on the day. I think he collects ww2 RAF stuff now. I still think a fiver entry is too steep for the IMCC fairs but there you go.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Was at this today & I thought it was quite good, definitely better than the medals fair in the teachers club in terms of choice and price.

It started at 10am not 12 and was €3 admission instead of 5.

A good selection of Irish and British & German, US and gother medals & badges, clothing, stamps, coins, photographs, postcards, letters. award docs and general paperwork etc

Lots of unsorted paperwork & some not bad prices including an SS dagger for €1400, lots of badges, medals, award certificates, soldbuch, wehrpass etc.

The prices on some items were a lot cheaper than internet prices (on the likes of say the e-stand on Wehrmachtawards for example) Prices were (with most dealers) flexible and the dealers were generally accomodating.

The show organisers were not expecting us but we got a great reception anyway. We thought there would only be three vehicles at it.
    We arrived on Friday night and headed off for a few bevvies and settled in. Driving through Kilfinnan we were spotted by a guy who just bought a Ferrett armoured car and he brought it along. Then came a MAN troop carrier and a Panhard armoured car and some landrovers. All unexpected but made a great display. No militaria was sold at the show and the weather was grand, not at all like the weater men said it would be. The Gorey fair was a great success from what I heard from the organisers. I can see that becoming a regular annual meet. All I could find out about the re-enactment thing in Enniscorthy was that there was only one military vehicle at it and he did not hang around. The Loughbrickland show had 40 vehicles but none from the South.. Next thing is the War and Peace Show in Beltring. We head off late on Saturday night and expect to get there on Sunday evening. I have a few pics of the vehicles at the Charleville show and I will post them when I dig out the camera wherever it is buried among all the camping paraphenalia.
    Have a good one.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Thers an agricultural show in Ballyhea south of Charleville in Cork tommorrow and Sunday opposite Lidl. Its supposed to be a huge thing. There will be a few Military vehicles and at least one guy (not me) selling militaria there. We are heading down tonight to settle in. The forecast says its gonna be a wet one but I hope the weather holds. So we may sleep in the truck and not bother pitching tents. I'll let ye know if I picked up anything military.
    Have a good one.
    Tom.
    Wouldn't you know it,I drove through there yesterday saw the signs as I was coming into Charleville for the show,then got side tracked by something and forgot about it,carried on and was miles down the road before I thought of it again,I think it was just one of those days

Yeah lifes like that Arnhem.
    The guys in the other truck I am supposed to be travelling to Beltring with will not now be going until Wednesday and not the Saturday so I may have to take the trip on my own. The mechanic who is supposed to travelling with is incommunicado, the guy who usually come s with me has an out of date passport. What kind of eejits leave things to the last minute like this? If anyone knows any other vehicles going I would appreciate letting me know so I can tag along. 450 Klms in an old truck is too long to take on our own but if the mechanic is going I will chance it. Lets see how this pans out.
    Here are some pictures from Charleville;

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Charleville019.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Charleville016.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Charleville014.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Charleville012.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Charleville007.jpg

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/?action=view&current=Charleville004.jpg

Regards.
    Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Love that Ferret. Thanks for the pics Tom.

Advertisement