Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I was not at the Fair in the Teachers Club but I was talking to one of the dealers and he says that it was a disappointing day for the sellers and buyers. The sellers were dissappointed because of the lack of punters and the lack of advertising for the fair itself. The punters were dissappointed at the lack of Militaria jumble. i.e heaps of stuff on tables that you can rummage through. I have often got bargains at the Teachers Club and have even taken a table myself to offload excess militaria. I found it small and there not a lot of punters. The table cost was cheap and the parking was free and the wife and daughter can walk into town for a few hours. Often I just about made the money to cover the table cost. Its a friendly place but not a place that makes millionaires. Perhaps they would get more sellers and buyers if they advertised it more?
    Thats my pennyworth.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Hi guys and gals. Sorry for not getting more information to you before this but I had to nail down all the arrangments with the powers that be and get the relevant permission. You know how difficult it is to get a 'final answer' from them but we got there in the end. I got the duaghter to create a page on the net with a link to the map that shows the route and gives all the information. Any questions you have I am happy to answer.
    I represent no club or association and invite all re-enactors and military vehicle owners and hope to get some support from as many as possible as I have supported you in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Have a look at the site and all suggestions would be most welcome.

http://museumtom.hu.tl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

FINALLY back on line,so Tom where can we buy this book??,I love reading about the Irish connection to WW1,I did make a comment on a different thread that it would be great to see a book that would cover the whole country but until that happens county to county will do fine,I can only imagine the time and effort that has gone into something like this,well done and I hope its a success:)

You can buy the book in any bookshop anywhere in the world after Nov 1st. Its calles Tipperary War Dead by Tom Burnell and Ruth Burnell. I also did one with the brother that covers WW1 and WW2 war dead from Wicklow ( out in Feb sometime) and am just finishing one for Wexford for ww1 only. I had a book out before called 'The Anglicized words of Irish Placenames' and you can but that in Easons if you so wish.
    If anyone has period uniforms and wish to parade with us we would be happy to have ye. I meant to add that Irelands Memorial Records' is supposed to cover Ireland but covers only about 70% as far as I can see and accepts all soldiers in Irish regiments as being Irish, go figuire.

Regards.
    Tom.

Lots of things on next weekend. There is a Militaria fair in the North Star hotel in Amiens Street on Saturday morning at 10. Usually charge a fiver entrance.
    Remember money is tight ( I seen the results in Beltring in July and so did the dealers who will be at the fair, fewer traders, few buyers and less choice) so you should have better results with haggling. Remember if a dealer says he does,nt know about an item he is selling, walk away from it. They dont buy stuff they know nothing about.
    An Armistice parade down the square in Thurles on Saturday will commence at 4pm. We have about 17 vintage military vehicles and over 50 re-enactors of various wars from the Romans to Nam. A Book launch of 'Tipperary War Dead' will take place in Kevin Ryans pub in Holycross at 8pm sharp and a sit down music session afterwards, tea and sambos.

From Rev Mark Hayden ( a good buddy and author of German Ribbon Bars and also another book about German Chaplains);

A service of Remembrance will take place on Sunday November 9th in Christ Church Gorey at 10.30am. The units attending are the RDF, IUNVA, An Garda Siochana, Fire Service, RNLI, Irish Coast Guard, Ambulance Service, Irish Red Cross, RBL, Boys Brigade, Girls Brigade, Scouting Ireland, Civil Defence, Slaney Search and Rescue, St. Michael's Pipe Band and the Arklow Silver Band.

The colour party is being made up of IUNVA veterans this year for the first time, led by Sergeant Major William Gilbert.

The preacher is the Venerable Chris Long, rector of Enniscorthy who served as an RAF padre for 22 years.

Everyone is especially welcome to this ecumenical service and if any of you have served and have medals/unit insignia then feel free to wear them.

Wreaths will be laid in memory of deceased colleagues and refreshments will be provided after the service.

This service has grown over the past number of years and it is wonderful to see so many veterans from all services joining together to remember their service time and deceased friends.

Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Its been a long time since the Black and Tans marched down Thurles.
    http://museumtom.hu.tl/pictures.htm
    Enjoy.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

enfield wrote: »
    Its been a long time since the Black and Tans marched down Thurles.
    http://museumtom.hu.tl/pictures.htm
    Enjoy.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    Some nice stuff Tom,hope the weather wasn't to bad,did you run the buggers back out afterwards??

They are a great bunch of guys and went home of their own accord afterwards.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Just a note to let you know that the Teachers Club fair scheduled for Saturday week has been cancelled due to a demonstration being held in Dublin at the same time. Time to settle down for the winter. Anyone pick anything interesting lately?
    Regards.
    Tom

Feed back I am getting indicates that sales were down by one third but prices being asked for are rising. It will not take long for the sellers involved to cop on and realise that there is a recession on and the price of things are coming down. There were lots of people through the door but everyone is watching their pennies. Look at ebay, although I snagged a nice little deal myself recently I can see the prices of Irish medals reducing. In Beltring this year it was the same, attendance was down, the amount of dealers was down, the selection of stuff for sale was down and next year will be the year for the bargains...if you have the money. Like buying property now is not the time, let things settle. Whatever you are after should be cheaper in the future. Ebay sold a Black and Tan medal for £330 only yesterday. One sold at the fair in the North Star for 500 euros so you can see how the prices are coming down.
    As Brendan Behan says; 'Hold your hour and have another'.
    be careful out there guys and gals. Next fairs should be in (North Star Hotel) February and ( in Teachers Club run by the medal Society) in March.
    Regards.
    Tom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Just a note to let you know that the Teachers Club fair scheduled for Saturday week has been cancelled due to a demonstration being held in Dublin at the same time.

Could I ask where did you hear this was cancelled ? Is that definite ?

Yes it is cancelled. If you contact Austin Fennessy who organises it he will clear things up for you. His email is ozzyfennessyateircom.net (change the at for @)
    Regards.
    Tom.

Happy New Year all!!
    Two fairs coming up in February. First is in the Teachers Club on Feb 7th around 12 noon and the second in the North Star Hotel on the 21st of Feb at 10am.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 paddywhack262

whats the story with the auction at the teachers club?is it still going this month or on feb 7th?

Time: 12 noon to 2.30 pm. When: Saturday 6th.December Where: Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Square, Dublin. Admission:€2. Fair will include medals, badges, general militaria, helmets, books etc. Free valuations offered. All welcome For info email: Austin at or 0872344890.START TIME FOR THE FAIR 12 noon. Everyone welcome.The Medal Society of Ireland Annual Medal&Militiaria Auction will be held on Saturday 31th. January 2009, Suitable items of militaria and medals required to be consigned. commission only 10% Proceeds to the Medal Society. Further info 0872344890.

sounds good! il be there!

It looks like the Cavan Military Vehicle/Military show might just go ahead on April 4/5th. I will confirm when it is nailed down. Its a big enough show and armoured vehicles come down from the North for it. You can buy militaria at it also and there will be lots of guns for ye to handle, same as Salute. There will be re-enactors there also. Its a huge setting, all under shelter lots to do with different arenas and areas.
    I will double check all details and let you know as soon as I do. Its to be held in the Equestrian Centre on the edge of town.
    Regards.
    Tom.

sounds good!! look forward to an update! just read the teachers club auctions been canceled till april!

I can confirm the Cavan show is going ahead on 4/5th of April. Checking out the Teachers club fair now...

The fair in the Teachers club is still on and confirmed for next saturday. I did not ask about the auction but the auction is in buyandsell (www.buyandsell.ie) that it is now on in April
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

I was at the fair today and its was not well attended. It looks like there aint much dosh about. Next fair is Saturday week in the North Star Hotel in Dublin from 10am. There should be probably the biggest fair there yet.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I was there too along with 3 guys from waf, & it was pretty empty. A handful of stalls and each one had far fewer items than they normally do.

One new addition was a bookseller, selling militaria related books for about 25% of what you would pay in a high street bookshop. Otherwise many overpriced low-mid level items which were not selling.

The Cavan show has been cancelled due to the present financial climate. The next biggie is the Curragh in May.
    Regards.
    Tom.

There was a guy at the fair that had three belts on the table, two Irish army dress belts with brass buckles to the Officer training corps and the School of music and a 1908 Pattern web belt. They did not sell and not one person asked how much were they (there was no price on any of them). This shows the lack of interest on the day.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Does anyone know if the teachers club auction is on tomorrow ?

UPDATE

Just got a return call there and the news is that the regular Medal Society event at the teachers club IS going ahead tomorrow Saturday 7th March.

A military fair of medals&militaria

€2.00
    Time: 12 noon to 3.00pm. when:
    saturday 7th. march
    where: teachers club 36 parnell square dublin.
    admission:€2.

fair will include medals badges general militaria helmets books etc. free valuations offered. all welcome
    start time for the fair 12 noon.

The Auction event is now set to be on the 18th of April.

Was at this on saturday and in addition to being badly advertised and overpriced there wasnt really that much selection.

Among the notable items was an Iron cross 1939 bar which was dual priced at £160 or €240. I think the northern dealers were showing contempt for their southern customers - completely taking the piss with those conversion rates. Attendance of customers and dealers was way down on last time and rather than lower prices to come closer to internet levels they seemed to simply have made less of an effort. Hopefully the Auction on 18th April will have more items and more earthbound starting prices if not it could be a wipeout for them.

Ok guys and gals here is a link to the auction and the lots;
    http://www.msoi.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=532%3Aauction-lots&catid=40%3Aannual-auction&Itemid=79

As the site says;-"NOTE: In order to be able to verify the authenticity and bona-fides of bidders, commission bids by e-mail will only be accepted from current members of the Medal Society of Ireland who have their contact details on file with the membership secretary."
    So basically either you join the medals society and you can then bid by email or you turn up on the day.
    I will not be able to make it but let us know how you get on if you attend.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Some nice items there (also a tina turner call card set) !

I would be curious to see how much the Tom Barry & Dan Breen books go for. I will probably head along on the day as some of the earlier items look interesting. Cheers for posting that.

Anyone at the auction? Reports please.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Anyone at the auction? Reports please.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I picked up an WWI German Armistice map that I am going to get framed, it had an estimate of €50 to €80 but I got it for €30. Also won Lot No. 112 - the WWI panaromas of the battlefields book for €10 (but the seller never showed so it was basically withdrawn).

The Dan Breen book went for about €180 I think. The prussian war 'peace breaks out' document went for approx €65.00 (which I am kicking myself for not staying in the bidding for).

Many items did not sell (including the TT callcards thank god). The german medals all sold fairly sharpish as I remember though the Third reich cloth items were pricey and withdrawn. Far as I remember the RIC stuff did not sell too great either.

Some medals that should have sold didn't and others fetched good prices.

A few different lots of british wwI medals went for differing amounts from €10-15 upwards. One medal set (I think lot 68) got a very good price when a mini bidding war broke out but eventually peace was restored.

There were some bargains there for all budgets (lot 64 went for €5) & it was good overall, a bit better than I expected.

I will definitely go to the next one - they could even do more than one per year in my opinion going by attendance & interest.

Advertisement