Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

Well there you go, thay won't get customers with that sort of organisation. Anyway here are some pictures from Elizabeth Fort, yesterday. Very wet but great fun. Click on the links on this page;
    http://new.livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1108
    Enjoy. Regards.
    Tom.

Ok guys.
    I just got a reply from the organisers;

"There wasn't a fair on Saturday, just a meeting. It will be the same in Dec, just a meeting, the AGM in fact. Our next fair is scheduled for March 6th. 2010.

Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 paddywhack262

how an earth do you expect to run a fair when you dont tell people its not going on and then have the next one 6 months later!!!i know other people who went down to go to it but only found it was empty! i do enjoy the teachers club but it does need to be better run if they want it to continue!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Just making sure, is Kinsale still on this weekend?,Tom the event in Elizabeth Fort looked very good even with the weather the way it was,some vey sinister looking people there waving guns around:),will this become an annual thing or was it a one off?,I'd love to have made it there only my wedding anniversary clashed with it so I had to stay around.Still, looking forward to Charles Fort.

Kinsale is on again this Sunday with a multiperiod display including the tans and Volunteers. Its free in. Kinsale is still on Saturday and Sunday and I will be there on Saturday morning just to show support. Thats free also so you could fit the two in in the one day. Emmet Kennedy (War Group) is organising Elizabeth Fort and Dave Levins (the Pards) is looking after Kinsale.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Are the re-inactments on both days Tom?

To be quite honest I am not sure. I think it is just living history. In Kinsale there will be static displays. I have not heard of any battles.
    Regards.
    Tom.

last year they had a Napoleonic enactment going on, about 25 to 30 firing muskets.

From the organisers;
    We will have Irish War of Independence ,Flying column , Tans etc , WW1 Great War , Imperial German (new) and A large Roman contingent from our very own Romans Ireland present , Early Celtic display and foods of the period , Red coats and many more .
    All from noon until about 5.
    Regards.
    Tom

• Advertisement

I was in Charles Fort (Kinsale) today, beautiful location, perfect weather and splendid show. There is militaria there and any amount of guns you might want to handle. There WAS re-enactment there, I had to leave after the Romans did a show. That was followed by the Pards, American Civil war battle. There was to be Black and tans and Volunteers in a fire fight and the Germans and Brits were to fight each other but I had to leave so it went on in my absence. It all happening again tommorrow. It costs 4 smackers a head and a tenner for a family. The place is a perfect place for kids to explore but keep an eye on them and keep out of the restricted areas. I am uploading photos and a bit of video for ye and will add them when it is done. When the weather is as good as it is now you have to go there. take a tip from an old codger, if you are going put a half bottle of fizzy water in the freezer, take it with you in the morning and you wll have a cold drink all day as it melts.
    Now then I am off for a pint,all that sea air type of thing.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Keep up to date here;
    http://www.irishreenactment.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=109

I will be adding more video as I upload it.

Made it to the Kinsale show yesterday,beautiful weather and great show put on by all involved there.There was a couple of stalls there selling various militaria,clothing,models and books.I picked up an old British great coat dated 1952 for a tenner and six issues of The Illustrated War News which was printed throughout the first world war,these issues were printed in 1917,one for a fiver or three for a tenner.As always everybody was very friendly towards the public and always willing to have a chat to talk about different items on display,there was plenty of guns to handle and to look at and a couple of nice R.I.C shotguns about.Noticebly there was very little vehiles on display and some absentees from last years show but its definitely a show that can only grow in the future.The cost to get in was small and I think well worth it however when we arrived there was a bus full of tourists who did not want to pay to get in(misery guts).All in all a great day out and credit due to the reinactors who all came together at the end and fought against the tans whether they were Romans,American civil war etc etc,they all lined up to take a bow to the crowd at the end only for the Germans to appear behind them and shoot them all once more.

Kinsale2009006.jpg

Kinsale2009002.jpg

Kinsale2009057.jpg

Kinsale2009052.jpg

Kinsale2009051.jpg

Kinsale2009043.jpg

Kinsale2009036.jpg

Kinsale2009035.jpg

Kinsale2009025.jpg

Kinsale2009023.jpg

Kinsale2009021.jpg

Kinsale2009018.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Kinsale2009057.jpg
    tank destruction badge is on wrong arm

Well done mousey, great pictures and a great report. I find in places like that time does not exist, How long were you there? I have to admit the whole place is spectacular and the guys are all friendly. Most of them are looking for recruits, it could be you....
    Thats about it for re-enactment and living history for the year. There may be an Armistice parade in November. I will let you know if there is. A book launch of the 'Wexford War Dead' in Wexford Library on November 7th will have some of ww1 lads doing their thing. Starts at 7,30pm. Another book launch will be in February with the 'Offaly War Dead'.
    Now its time for all the kit to be polished and put away for the winter.The next outing for the vehicles will be Paddies day and then the Curragh in May.
    Almost forgot about the new Cork fair run by Garry O'Brien, but you already know about that. Speaking of fairs I just picked up a ww2 irish Army bicycle with the gun brackets on it. It'll be grand for ww2 lving history. Thats my project for the winter.
    If you know of anything happening or attended anthing that might interest us let us know here.
    Have a good one lads.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I wasnt there :p
    arnhem posted the report. I just noticed the tank badge was on the wrong arm.... usually you see it with cufftitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Does anyone know if there are any Teachers Club or North Star Fairs on the horizon ?

Re the book launch of 'Wexford War Dead' in Wexford Library on Sunday November 7th I will definitely try to make it to that. If I do I will bring the camera and put a write up on my site if that is ok. Also may have space for anyone who wants a lift down from Dublin. I look forward to buying a signed copy of the book !

• Advertisement

OK, guys and gals.
    The North Star fair is on the 7th of Nov at 10am. No news on the teachers club yet, I have sent out a message to the organisers. Also the Cork fair in the Metropole Hotel with free admission on the 21st of November with at least the same amount of tables as the North Star fair if not more. Who knows there might even be some pre-launch Wexford books at it I will let you know before the fair.
    Speaking of the Wexford book, the launch is now on Saturday December the 5th at 6pm in the Wexford Library due to the printers being under pressure.
    If anyone wants lookups from it just post them here.
    Have a good one.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Got this email and thought it may be of interest to you:
    Munster Militaria Fair, Cork city, Ireland. Munster Militaria Fair 2009

Cork's Re-Enactment, Militaria and Collectables Fair

Where: Douglas Vance Room, Metropole Hotel, McCurtain Street, Cork city, Ireland.

When: Saturday the 21st of November 2009 Time: Open to the Public - 10am to 5pm , Admission FREE!!

We are delighted to announce Cork's first fair designed to cater for re-enactment and militaria enthusiasts. The fair is designed to bring traders of re-enactment materials and equipment, militaria collectables all other manner of military themed equipment, together with re-enactment enthusiasts, military collectors and the public for a great fair.

Web site: http://munstermilitariafairs.com/

Don't forget the fair in the North Star tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 10 am. A fiver in still as far as I know. I will be having a look around myself and will let ye know whats about. I might even see some of yis there. Look out for me, the handsome grey haired old codger always on the lookout for something different. It will be interesting to see if prices are down. I do know that there will be a great selection as one of the dealers is just back from a big Fair down Belgium way. Next fair is the Cork one in two weeks time in the Metropole. There will be some re-enactors at that also, and its FREE ENTRANCE!!!!!! Thats a fiver cheaper than the North Star and 2 euro less than the Teachers Club.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Hi Tom pm sent.

I just thought you might be interested that there is a book launch in the Wexford Library on Saturday evening December 5th at 6pm. Its called 'The Wexford War Dead' published by Nonsuch. It records the 874 Wexford soldiers or soldiers who listed their next of kin from Wexford. These men died during ww1 or just after while in the service of the British Army, the Australian Army, the Newzealand Army, the American Army, the Indian Army, the Canadian Army, the South African Army, the Royal Navy and the British Mercantile Marine.
    It will be attended by the Lord Mayor, County Council, other people and me. The military side of it will be officiated by Company Sergeant Emmet Kennedy and the Munster Military vehicle and re-enactment Club ( mainly Cork, Kerry and Waterford) supported by the Monasterevan lads of King Edwards Horse. Some of the various Wexford re-enactors will also attend. They will be attired in ww1 uniforms. If you would like to attend just PM me.

I was there at opening time and there was a good crowd. Paid me fiver and first table I went to had an open top .455 webley holster in dryish condition. He wanted 90 but would take 80, it was a bit too stiff for me so I left it there. The Frenchman had a great selection of swords which were not too dearly priced and in good condition. He also had a swept quillon sword and it took a while for me to get through to him that I wanted to know was there a special way of holding these swords, basically he said no, it just a fancy hand guard. But, wait for it, on his table was a plug bayonet, begor, I have never seen one of those for sale in Ireland before. I did not even ask the because I would only upset myself. Among the usual traders was a new couple and they sold mostly flintlocks, percussion boot guns and other obsolete weapons. Prices were a bit stiff but guns are not my market and would not know a good price from a bad one. They als had a very nice ww2 heliograph in its leather case with the brass topped tripod, all in great condition for 300. Not bad, but not what I was looking for. Another trader sold some de-acs and also had some AK47 rubber movie props for 60 smackers. Among the badges and insignia I came across this little peach;-
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/badge.jpg
    and snapped it up. I was after a few 1905 pattern British leather bandoliers. The guy who had the dry .455 holster also had a matching dry leather bandolier which he would let me have for 70 euro so I passed it and went to another. He wanted 60 but took 50 and everyone was happy. It was in better condition. One of the nice things I seen there was a C98 Broomhandle mauser, de-ac and , wait for it, it came with its original stock holster, leather cradle and cleaning rod. He wanted 750 for it. He would get more for it on ebay. There seems to be an abundance of Gustav leather punches on the market over the past few years and this fair there were two. I did not ask the price as I was not interested. Lots of the ‘modern’ military uniforms, equipment and load bearing kit was available as was one stall that sold only ww2 Luftwaffe items. There was great selection of swords and bayonets brought back from the Belgian fair. The most unusual thing I seen there was a complete Knights Templer or Masonic uniform. It looked really well but where would one wear it? There were other older ww1 uniforms from the Dublin Fusiliers and the Inniskilings to ww2 German. Lots of insignia, badges and medals. As I said to herself last night, that’s about the size of it.
    Next fair is in Cork. Free in and all tables are now booked which means it will be bigger than the North Star. It will be interesting to see how it goes as it is its first time out.
    Regards.
    [FONT=&quot] Tom.[/FONT]

I went down to this today after the Kevin Myers WWII talk in Collins Barracks was over and thought it was pretty good. There were enough dealers and in my view the prices were ok. I ended up getting a set of about 250 photos for €40.

Tat included 58 pretty good hitler youth ones, and in addition a set of 40 photos of one of the same hj people in a post war prison camp and then another 20 or so connected ones from a sporting event.

When I bought them I had not realised they were connected at all so that was a nice surprise.

The set also included 7 postcards & the rest of the photos were mostly non military, a couple of BDM ones, Ehrentempel and Feldernhalle other locations etc. Still quite happy with the hj set. There were also some albums and other photo items on sale too which were pretty good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Just to remind anyone interested that it's the National Day of Mourning Remembrance Day this Sunday the 15th of November.

A ceremony will be held at Glencree German Military Cemetery in Co. Wicklow with interfaith services and wreath-laying ceremony as well as a seminar afterwards.
    The Annual German Remembrance Ceremony for victims of war will take place at St. Kevin's Chapel at the Glencree Centre of Peace and Reconciliation (Co. Wicklow) on Saturday (sic, 15th November, at 11.30 am.

The service of prayers for peace, led by pastors Dr. Joachim and Corinna Diestelkamp and Father John Sinnot and accompanied by the Goethe-Institut Choir, will be followed by a ceremony at the German Military Cemetery, Glencree. This will be followed by a seminar on: ''Peaceful revolution in East-Germany and the Fall of the Wall-the contribution of the Church''.

Source: http://www.dublin.diplo.de/Vertretung/dublin/en/Volkstrauertag.html

Note it says "Saturday" on the website but it is actually on Sunday the 15th. Not Saturday!

• Advertisement

As Preusse says this Sunday is Rememberance day. Its great to see this country finally recognising its war dead. One other item on the agenda.
    There will be a display of artifacts and re-enactors etc in the Athy Heritage Centre, Kildare between 12 and 3pm. I dont know if there is a charge or not.
    I will be there myslef.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Advertisement