Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N95 - feedback and questions.

• 31-10-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am interested in the N95.
    It is available at 799e on O2.ie and it is a little over 500e on Expansys.ie

O2

I am the owner of a mobile phone with an O2 sim card. Can I buy the Expansys (cheaper) and stick in my SIM card?

What does justify such a difference in price?

Will I beable to use GPS with the phone or do I have to buy a software (once off cost) or do I need to pay a subscription?

I am alos interested in the wifi feature, can I surf the Web for free via my wifi router?

Is it possible to synch the contacts and Calendar with outlook or Thunderbird?

Can you install an instant messenger soft?

Can you install skype and use it through the wifi connection thus avoiding call cost with operator?

Do you guys have anything bad to say about this phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Got this phone with work

Will try to answer most of your Qs

Expansys are usually sold network unlocked and as such can use any SIM (But check with them first!!)

I like this phone its lighter than my 6680 which I had before

The GPS works a treat, you may have to download map details though your ISP on your phone or using WiFi is its around. Its free except for network charges. There is also a map loader that allows you to preload the maps. Worked for me in Norway (home network) and Ireland and was fairly accurate too.

THe WiFi tool is wicked I think. Once you define the access point you can surf away. I installed the GMail tool and can browse my Gmail very easily

I synch over bluetooth with Outlook and synch contacts etc etc

MSN Messenger native client doesnt work outside of China but there are other IM clients that can do it

Dont know about Skype but there are other IP phone stuff you can install (try mobile9.org)

You can also download FSecure for your phone as well.

Bad points, weak battery, needs a recharge every other day. Thats about it really. Depends on the WiFi and bluetooth usage i think. The changer is no bigger than a plug and has a fiddly connector that looks like it could break easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Thanks a lot for all that info

I checked with Expansys, phone is unlocked.

What the heck justify O2s price. There's a 300e difference!!!

btw I just notice there's a N95 8gb. I'll wait until this one is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Should be out now i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    btw I just notice there's a N95 8gb. I'll wait until this one is out.

I think the original n95 may be better for two reasons
    - from memory perspective the latest model is disadvantaged - the original version has removable memory and works with 8 GB sd high capacity memory - removable so there's little chance of losing your stuff. If the N95 8GB dies, falls into sink, etcthen all your stuff goes to the grave too!

- The camera lens cover is exposed on the N95 8GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

To make the most of the N95 you need to have X-Series on Three (now that it works).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got one a few days ago and I really like it. The camera is a little slow though. Would love if I could get skype or msn messenger calling working via it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

do not like this phone....

used it many times, just honestly have no time for it!
    dont like the GPS think its to bulky, tbh i just dont like any of the N generation nokia's i much rathered the old software...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Praetorian wrote: »
    I got one a few days ago and I really like it. The camera is a little slow though. Would love if I could get skype or msn messenger calling working via it.

3 X-series. Skype is excellent on it very good quality as it uses a normal 3g call.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

Fring will work Skype, Sip provider (freespeech.ie) + your normal numbers on your sim card all in one package.

So if I download Fring on a N95, I can then use skype phone and MSN for free right?(near a Wifi spot of course)?

I dont see any possibility to use AOL Instant Messenger.

Any feedback on AIM? My contacts are on AIM ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Got this phone yesterday and already really like it. Browsing the net through a wireless LAN is so damn cool.. and its a big screen so browsing isnt a struggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 sTuMbLeD

Received the N95 8GB here at work yesterday. It was needed urgently for testing, so they paid expansys ridiculous €949. Found it €200 cheaper on ebuyer.com, but their frustrating fraud protection system meant we might not have received the phone till next week.

Nazoil you're right about the original N95 being better in 2 ways, the lack of removable memory is a pain, and the lens should really have a cover, but the 8GB does have a better battery, slightly larger (but more easy to scratch)screen, and double the amount of RAM.

The extra RAM makes a huge difference. It is the first Nokia phone I've used that has v nearly no button lag. Going through menus is noticeably quicker when I compared old and new N95 side by side. According to a Symbian programmer in work, Nokia have included some new memory caching technique (i aint a programmer, can't remember details) that involves storing data from apps that are on standby to the 8GB hd, freeing more RAM . This means you can have more apps open at once and still have better performance than original N95.

Oh, you also get an AV cable and earphones/remote in box. It is the best performing Nokia yet, and if I lived in the UK I'd definitely change operator to get one for free, but I aint paying €700+

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

does the n95 and the n95 8gig come with a wall charger? i see a lot on e-bay with wall chargers and iam unsure if they are real or not? the phone that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Nazoil you're right about the original N95 being better in 2 ways, the lack of removable memory is a pain, and the lens should really have a cover, but the 8GB does have a better battery, slightly larger (but more easy to scratch)screen, and double the amount of RAM.

I made this point about the device's non-removable memory a couple of weeks ago but nobody seemed to care.

I mean if you're trying to transfer a 300mb movie file or a 900mb map file across to the device how long is it going to take without a card-reader and removeable memory.
    I'm guessing it might take an hour or so, is this correct.

Whereas with a card-reader and removeable micro-sdhc (like with the old n95) card you're talking a couple of minutes.

clansman wrote: »
    does the n95 and the n95 8gig come with a wall charger? i see a lot on e-bay with wall chargers and iam unsure if they are real or not? the phone that is

yes, the genuine ones come with Nokia AC-5 chargers.

mkennedy wrote: »
    I made this point about the device's non-removable memory a couple of weeks ago but nobody seemed to care.

I mean if you're trying to transfer a 300mb movie file or a 900mb map file across to the device how long is it going to take without a card-reader and removeable memory.
    I'm guessing it might take an hour or so, is this correct.

Whereas with a card-reader and removeable micro-sdhc (like with the old n95) card you're talking a couple of minutes.

It is a pain indeed. But I'd rather have a phone with a proper battery.
    There is no point having a mobile phone that only last a day before it needs to be recharged. If you put priorities/weight against each features, then battery life is up there with actual phone calls features.

You can still transfer files over usb 2.0 or wifi, so it is no the end of the world.

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    It is a pain indeed. But I'd rather have a phone with a proper battery.
    There is no point having a mobile phone that only last a day before it needs to be recharged. If you put priorities/weight against each features, then battery life is up there with actual phone calls features.

You can still transfer files over usb 2.0 or wifi, so it is no the end of the world.

Can you transfer if the phone has died or been moisture / collision damaged accidently? 1-8 GB of stuff would be a lot to lose and $ht does happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Didnt they bring out a new battery with the 8GB N95? A 1200MH one thats suppose to have 20-30% more capacity.

Advertisement