Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maybe it's DNS issues?

Options
  • 31-10-2007 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running Windows XP.

I have an O2 Sierra 850 data card.

It works sometimes and not other times with no apparent changes in between.

Currently I can connect to http://89.234.66.107/ but I cannot connect to http://www.boards.ie - this suggests a DNS issue to me as IPs work but no domains do.

I've tried OPEN DNS IPs (208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220) but they don't seem to have made any difference.

I can browse the web fine with the data SIM in my phone hooked up as a modem.

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Dont assign the IP or DNS, leave both to automatic. What browser are you using? you could try delete your cookies, files and history in internet options.

Try ping boards and see if you get a reply back as well.

start>run>cmd> select ok and type ping www.boards.ie and hit return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The connection seems to work when I leave it for 10 or 15 mins. Sometimes doesn't. It's very strange.

I can ping IPs but not domains, same as with the browser.

I'm using Firefox but have used IE to test also.

Cache etc clear - tried that.

DNS etc all set to automatic as standard and suggested by O2 - only tried other DNS servers for a short while to see if they had any effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

ciaranfo wrote: »
    The connection seems to work when I leave it for 10 or 15 mins. Sometimes doesn't. It's very strange.

I can ping IPs but not domains, same as with the browser.

I'm using Firefox but have used IE to test also.

Cache etc clear - tried that.

DNS etc all set to automatic as standard and suggested by O2 - only tried other DNS servers for a short while to see if they had any effect.

I'm not sure, would need to a bit more info, but you seem to have given all you can at the moment. I wouldnt be suprised if it fixes it self over night.

The only other thing i would try would be to restart your modem/router.

It's a data card - there's no modem/router involved. I have enabled and disabled it many times. Also reseated and reinstalled it twice.

This issue has been occuring for about 3 days now. This happens with 2 differen SIMs in the data card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've used that card direct in laptop and in a router. Once for a day it just gave "SIM rejected" messages, but then later it was fine.

DNS ++Generally++ was wierd for several ISPs since Sunday. Things seemed back to normal last night. But Tuesday DNS simply wasn't working for a friend. I talked him through everything and no difference. I checked with his ISP too. In the end I told him to leave it and it go OK on its own. It was fine yesterday with all the original settings.

• Advertisement

I'm just playing the waiting game at the moment Watty. The strange part for me is how it works after a while...

I'm just playing the waiting game at the moment Watty. The strange part for me is how it works after a while but then doesn't work again when your dis and reconnect.

Advertisement