Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Implications of using non BMW recommended oil

Options
  • 31-10-2007 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My BMW E46 320ci has 90,000 miles on the clock which im going to trade in a few months. I wouldnt mind doing an oil change in the meantime as its due. I dont fancy forking out for the recommended Castrol Edge or similar oil. Are there any serious repercussions if i use Magnatec or GTX? Also, the data sheet in Halfords says my sump capacity is 5 Ltrs, im sure its 6.5 though, can someone confirm.

Thanks,

X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually, using a lower grade oil will mean that you need to change the oil more frequently than the recommended oil. There should be no detrimental effects on the engine, but if you sell it on privately you should let the new owner know. If you trade it to a dealer then he should really be servicing it before selling on to a retail punter. If he sells it 'trade' then it'll be the trader's look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Yeah, I would pass this info on as its somthing I would like to know when purchasing second hand, the car has been given Castrol Edge for as long as I have owned it, so the engine is in great nic.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Well at the very least you should use the correct viscosity reccomended for the climate you drive in.

Ideally you could find an oil that is to the correct BMW spec, but its not nessassarily an oil thats labeled BMW.

Advertisement