Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tom tom vs garmin

Options
  • 31-10-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi All

I am in the process of getting on of the above units and am a total novice when it comes to them.

I am looking at the tom tom one europe or the garmin 250

It will mainly be used with in ireland also some times the uk and france

What are the pros and cons of both

ease of use
    up to date maps
    is there on going costs

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Everyone has a personal preference. The best guidance is to:
    1) Compare the functions of both units in your price range.
    2) Go play with both units in a brick and mortar shop (e.g. Halfords) and see which interface you prefer.
    3) Shop online for a cheaper price.
    4) Remember, Xmas cometh, and there will likely be competition to shift units, particularly in the couple of days after Christmas.

In terms of mapping, both units should be very good for the areas you're interested in. Nokia have just bought NavTeq (who supply maps to Garmin). Now both Garmin and TomTom are vying to buy TeleAtlas (the other large mapping company) so this may determine the future of mapping over the next couple of years.

If you hold off until after Christmas you will also definitely be eligible to upgrade (for free) to Garmin's new release of their mapping data (based on NavTeq), which means the maps would be three months old, instead of 15 months old. You may already be eligible, however, I'm waiting until after XMas to upgrade to a new GPS unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

thank you krusty

went to halfords today they did not seem to know much about the units i think the sales guy was still asleep.

The stock in carrickmines was limited seems to have alot of the pink special 250 from TOM TOM

Will call to one of the orher stores in the next few days

Based on your info will wait until after christmas to get the unit if I get a free upgrade to newer maps

Advertisement