Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24, male, first provisional, want a bike and insurance

• 31-10-2007 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I've always wanted a bike, Driven four wheels since i was 17 no accidents, and i want to make the move to two wheels.

Is there any chance of getting reasonable insurance as a 24 year old male on two wheels? It probably doesn't matter one iota, but i've one year no claims in my own name, (car) and another five or so as a named driver, (car.)

I'd love to start on a CBR250, or a Bros 400 but I doubt the insurance companies will be too keen.

Can anyone recommend a good starter bike, and give me a ballpark figure that insurance would cost? Or will they even quote me?

Also, is there anywhere i can take lessons to an absolute beginner that would supply the bike, helmet, etc? and roughly how much these would cost?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

a bros isnt a bad start, only messed around on them myself but have been told theyre fairly bulletproof, not sure how tall you are but its a fairly small bike so could get a bit uncomfortable
    They're will be others on here that can give you a better idea as to what the law will allow you to drive
    there are plenty of places that do lessons on school bikes, just depends where you are based, if youre in dublin or wicklow Id use David Lyons (0872988499) the lads in bike2bike do all over Dublin and they are fairly good aswell, the instructor can supply everything you need to get going
    You'll need to go thru the whole licence thing again, theory etc
    I wont give you ball park figure on insurance as its about 5 years since I started out so I have no idea,, but be prepared for it, the 3 insurance cos are AON, Carole Nash and Quinn, not sure if quinn insure provisionals though, google them and you'll get their nos
    Get yourself over to biker.ie, there is a whole section now set out for 1st time bikers and they will be able to help you out a hell of a lot more than me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

BROS is a great learner bike. Drove one myself for a year or so.

Cheap insurance too, well not as cheap as a CG125, but more bike for the money.

Watch out as many of them are couriered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

how far away are you from 25? seems to be a massive drop in inscrewance prices at 25, nice things actually become affordable to me at least (25 in 30 days) :p

I think Aon will give quite a significant reduction in their quotes if you say to them that you have a current car policy, as they take from that the bike isnt your sole form of transport - even if you're just named on a car policy. They have an online quote thing on their website you can take a gander at: www.aonbikecare.ie
    In my experience, what you get from it, is what Aon will quote you on the phone initially (as it seems they just fill in the same form when you phone up).
    Carole Nash, Quinn Direct, Aon, and Adelaide (not seen mentioned yet - www.bikequoteme.com, though watch their phone number, afaik its a northern ireland number)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Wossack wrote: »
    I think Aon will give quite a significant reduction in their quotes if you say to them that you have a current car policy, as they take from that the bike isnt your sole form of transport - even if you're just named on a car policy.

The current policy from AON is that they offer a 30% discount if you are on a car policy (insured or named driver). If the policy is an AXA policy, the discount is 40%. I rang them last week asking out quotes for factory restricted 600cc bikes (monster, bandit, hornet)

I was given quotes of about 1000 euro for a bike like this (including discount). Only difference is that I'm almost 30. (eek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I started on a CBR 250 at 25, my first years insurance was 1350 with CN, AON would have been 1800 or more.

Like said before if you can wait till you're 25 you'll get a nicer quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I waited to be 25 (I would advise you to do the same). Got a Bandit 600 (not factory restricted which made it way more expensive to insure). Got a Provisional License followed shortly (4 weeks later) by a Full License. Was first quoted €1300 for TPO by Carole Nash then it dropped to €1000 when I got my Full License.

This year, with 1 year NCB, Quinn-Direct insured me for around €1000 Fully Comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've just turned 24 so i might wait the full 12 months till i'm 25. I was thinking of getting the full licence before then, so that would also decrease the insurance somewhat.

I'm quite tall, 6"2, so would you reckon a bros would be too small, or a CBR250, as these are the bikes i've been considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've just turned 24 so i might wait the full 12 months till i'm 25. I was thinking of getting the full licence before then, so that would also decrease the insurance somewhat.

I'm quite tall, 6"2, so would you reckon a bros would be too small, or a CBR250, as these are the bikes i've been considering.
    At 6"2 you'll be tall for the majority of bikes... I'm 6"0 and my Bandit 600 is just perfect for me! You'd be perfect on a Bandit (or SV) yourself.

Should be ok on a Bros too but it is a smaller bike... If I were you I'd go for a factory restricted Bandit or SV to be honest Newcarneeded.

Advertisement