Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chord reading help

• 31-10-2007 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Hi.Recently started playing the electric guitar. Having a little trouble learning/playing some chords . In specific, for example , if a chord says 1 on more than 1 string, what do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I'm assuming the '1' means your first/index finger? If so, when you see 1 on more than one string they are always on the same fret - this is a barre chord. You lay your finger flat across the strings that you need to fret with your index finger so you can hold them all down at once. To learn the technique, it's best to lay your finger across all six strings at the required fret, and then use your other fingers on other frets to complete the chord.

Barre chords are usually the first big stumbling block beginners come across, but if you can master them, then you are a guitar player. And all it takes is practice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Cheers. Tryed what you said-its tough but I'm improving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

As previously stated, it's likely a barre chord. Lay your index finger across all six strings at the 1st fret, and then arrange your other fingers as needed. When you understand the importance of barre chords, you can play very efficiently by using the barre forms to make other chords very quickly.

Example:

Open E chord:

With an open E we are actually barring the Oth fret, or rather, the headstock is doing it for us. Now if you change that open E to this:

You now have an open F. To make an open G, you then move to

Why did we move only 1 fret to make F, but 2 frets to make G? Because of chromatic intervals- there is no such note in western scales as an E#/Fb. But we do have an F#/Gb, so we need to move two frets when going from F to G in order to skip F#.

So by learning this one form of barre, you can make all 12 major chords, if your fingers can work in tight enough spots. For those who can't, we have other forms of barre, all based on their relative open chord. The form I've shown is E barre, but the A and C forms of barre are also common. I don't use G barre much, and D barre I only use for playing Eb. B barre is less comfortable than C barre personally so I use C in lieu of B, but it's personal preference.

You should familiarize yourself with the major and minor barre chords, they'll make you play rhythm like a pro in no time. Minor barre chords work the same as major ones, but you use the open minor chord as the form.

Afriad most of that went over my head tbh.....thanks for posting anyway.
    I think I will just learn the basic Major and Minor chords for the next week and maybe scales after that.

Hi guys-another quick question-what does 0 mean on tabs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hi guys-another quick question-what does 0 mean on tabs?

You just play the open string.
    Have a look here

Cheers. Think I've mastered the major/minor chords, and been using some excerises to improve my finger flexibility. I've also learned my first song, Pearl Jam's ''Last Kiss''.
    Learning Baare chords is hard though!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

you can finger an F chord like this and it won't sound much different.

most rock songs with barre chords don't employ the top two strings, especially when playing with distortion. For example, G5 chord:

x
    x

x=don't play this string, just strike the bottom 4. If you like pearl jam, songs like spin the black circle can be played this way

Advertisement